Cheatham Co. Schools Shut Down Athletics

ctf33

This is a load of bull, and its gettin me mad even readin about it. :D Im Robertson Co. tried and true, but some of the best games the Cats ever play come out of Cheatham Co., and they have a lot of quality teams, players, and coaches. To see the likes of Cheatham Co. and Sycamore dropped from other teams' schedules hurts me to the core. I played high school sports, and enjoyed every moment of it, and to take away something that special from kids who are out there playing for the sheer love of the game is apalling. Shame on you Cheatham County bureaucrats, let the kids play

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is with all of this money? Schools cannot get enough funds for football programs. Sullivan Central's weight room doesn't even have clips for the weights! This needs to be fixed!  :D

825335244[/snapback]

Well,

I'm gonna add something controversial, but I am going to preface it with background.

First, I am very conservative when it comes to the issue of taxes/politics.

Second, I think it is a pitiful shame that school boards continue to use sports as hostages.

Now, you say we have to fix this. I agree. But, regardless of my conservative positions, we have to do something about our tax structure in this state. Not only did I hear the report last night about Cheatham Co., but I also heard a report about TN being ranked 50th out of 50 in the amount of taxes paid per capita. The reason other states don't have these huge problems is that they pay much more in taxes. This is based on income taxes, sales taxes, vehicle taxes, property taxes, gas taxes, tobacco taxes, etc., all added together.

So, am I saying we need to double our taxes......HECK NO! But, money for schools is a TRUE issue. We either have to be willing to do more fund raisers, pay more taxes, or DO WITHOUT.

Now, I think that hijacking sports is the wrong way to go. But, what is a good solution? Should we fire all the teacher assistants? Should we remove music programs? Should we remove Home Ec and Shop Classes? Should we get rid of computers? Should we get rid of career and technology schools? I call it a case of you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Or, should the county commissions take money away from other parts of the county to fund the schools? Should we fire other county workers to improve our schools? Somebody is going to lose no matter which way you slice it unless at least some amount of additional money goes into the counties.

Edited by FatCat

Well,

I'm gonna add something controversial, but I am going to preface it with background. 

First, I am very conservative when it comes to the issue of taxes/politics.

Second, I think it is a pitiful shame that school boards continue to use sports as hostages.

Now, you say we have to fix this.  I agree.  But, regardless of my conservative positions, we have to do something about our tax structure in this state.  Not only did I hear the report last night about Cheatham Co., but I also heard a report about TN being ranked 50th out of 50 in the amount of taxes paid per capita.  The reason other states don't have these huge problems is that they pay much more in taxes.  This is based on income taxes, sales taxes, vehicle taxes, property taxes, gas taxes, tobacco taxes, etc., all added together.

So, am I saying we need to double our taxes......HECK NO!  But, money for schools is a TRUE issue.  We either have to be willing to do more fund raisers, pay more taxes, or DO WITHOUT. 

Now, I think that hijacking sports is the wrong way to go.  But, what is a good solution?  Should we fire all the teacher assistants?  Should we remove music programs?  Should we remove Home Ec and Shop Classes?  Should we get rid of computers?  Should we get rid of career and technology schools?  I call it a case of you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Or, should the county commissions take money away from other parts of the county to fund the schools?  Should we fire other county workers to improve our schools?  Somebody is going to lose no matter which way you slice it unless at least some amount of additional money goes into the counties.

825335350[/snapback]

There is ALWAYS a way to solve these problems. I suggest you consider a wheel tax if you don't already have one. It works in almost every county where they use it to fund education! You have to either cut something or increase revenue!

Ever since the tax revolt at the statehouse a few years ago, ANY politician who supports ANY tax increase, even if it is necessary, is considered a pariah.

I don't want tax increases in my county as a homeowner and a business owner, but at the same time I want the children in this county to have the opportunities to participate in extracurricular activities such as sports, music, theater, academic team, and more. I would support the MINIMUM tax increase needed to keep such programs from being eliminated.

Teachers give enough extra hours of their personal time AND money, coaches even more so.

I support the head coaches in what they are doing, and I hope the small-town politics don't cost hundreds of teens an opportunity they'll never have again.

All i have to say is think of the kids!! They are suppose to be having the time of their lives right now, but they can't very well do that if someone takes away what they love to do. There are always alternate solutions to everything, my advice to the Cheatham County School Board is to find that alternate solution or there will be a lot of angry students and parents in that county.

A wheel tax is exactly where this is headed. The county commission can institute a wheel tax by 2 methods. They chose to pass one on 2 hearings with taxes to be collected for the general fund. A ramrod sort of method, however, the taxpayers can have this method voided by collecting signatures from 10% of the registered voters in the county. Those signatures were certified last week and the wheel tax will be included on the ballot in November. Now the school board and county commission are playing on the taxpayers emotions to get what they want. I look for the additional $25 to be voted in after much debate and wringing of hands. It's for the kids you know. This is on top of the 5% increase in property taxes that the county commission levied after the ramrod approach to a wheel tax didn't work. Cheatham County has one of the highest property tax rates in the state and when the wheel tax is voted in, (and earmarked for education), they'll have the highest wheel tax in the state. Meanwhile, the school system spent a dollar to save a dime by going to staggered start times for schools and multiple bus routes. It will take fewer buses in the short term, but the maintenance and longevity of the buses is at risk. My grandfather called it robbing Peter to pay Paul.

As you've read in my previous posts, the different sports are already raising most of their own monies. This is just emotional blackmail to keep the pork in the barrel.

They're only going to save $36,000 in coaches supplements. That's 2 3/4% of the total shortfall. Please! Athletics is being used to plunk our heartstrings. I'll gladly fork over an extra $75 a year for my 3 vehicles to keep the high school sports teams going. Everyone else will too. I just wish they'd court me a little before I get screwed.

I am speaking of ANY county here, including my own.

IF there are going to be taxes involved, wheel taxes is the fairest way to go. Not all county residents own real estate, and it is not fair that only the property owners are taxed. However, MOST everyone owns at least one car, including renters (most who have children IN school), be they legal U.S. residents or not and a proposed wheel tax is the fairest way to spread the burden to everyone, not just the people that own homes.

Edited by EZBeingGreen

It is the most gutless of all things regarding a school board and a superintendent who would allow this possibility to exist. I used to coach and I will tell you that every student and parent involved needs to be at the next meeting and let those responsible look them in the eye and say "you don't matter" ..."we are throwing away any sense of enjoyment your high school may mean to you"

In most of these schools you talking about 50 -60 % of the student body.

They need to start an immediate recall of the school board and county commissioners and get those chumps out of there.

Our kids need these activities more now than ever in our society.

I guess they want those students to turn to drinking and driving around on those Cheatham Co. roads and get a bunch of them killed or hurt but save that measly 36,000...wonder what that is per athlete.

What they pay a coach is chicken feathers anyway. Ask the board members and commission if they would do the job for that for their own career.

Why I oughta come up there and...........................

Here is a story for all those sports fans out there... READ THIS!!!

The current school board fired... sorry, pushed former director Mr. Gibbs to resign. They forced him out in the middle of a contract. THE BOARD STILL IS PAYING HIM BECAUSE HIS CONTRACT ISN'T UP!!!!!! I'm not a math wizard but if I worked this right... If you combined all the coach's pay, doubled it, you still wouldn't have Mr.Gibb's "sit at home pay". Nothing at all against Mr. Gibbs he is a good guy and was a great director. This is just to show everyone how wasteful the board is! The board clearly doesn't have you children in mind!

REMEMBER THIS IF ANY OF YALL GO TO A BOARD MEETING!!!!