Cheatham Co. Schools Shut Down Athletics

ctf33

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Mom of a football/basketball player, I KNOW how important sports are in this day and time...Sports keep kids off the streets, off drugs and keeps them in school!

Even though I am in Robertson County I still feel for the parents and students in Cheatham County. If I thought I could do anything to help them I would...I know I will have them in my prayers!

Folks, we cannot even fathom the effects this will have on the kids.... I hope they walked out today from school! Their futures are certainly affected by the outcome of 6 ppl... It was nice to see at least one person on the board had some sense, as for the other 5, recall their butts! This is sad! One of the biggest things about this is that these coaches likely have families, and a teaching salary doesn't go far these days towards feeding and clothing and providing shelter for them..

Maybe some of the surrounding counties could do something to help? Or even appealing to the state? I know that athletics are optional, but comeon! These kids deserve what they have worked hard for! I have played against cheatam co. schools and i know for a fact that they are breeding talent there. I'm sure a lot of college opportunities will be shot down because of this. We can't all afford to pay for college and this could take scholarships right out of the hands of deserving students! WAKE UP! QUESTION AUTHORITY!

Yep, the Harpeth Middle School team is playing tonight in Dickson and the high school practiced today. The latest is there might not be bus driver's available after the hit they took on the budget cuts. Getting players, cheerleaders and the bands to away games.....safely...is a major undertaking as well. We're not out of the woods yet.

Golly, you guys are on Mikey Stuart really hard! I wonder why no cuts were made while his kids were in school?

Isn't this the same Mike Stuart who once co-signed a booster (he was the president of the booster club if my memory serves me correct) club check to pay the rent of a local basketball player, all while he was serving on the Cheatham county school board.

Surely he wouldn't do anything fishy with someone elses money would he?

Gerry, a lot of people have complimented you and said they think you're going to be a great coach.  If your comments are serious, I truly doubt it.  Surely, your comments about working for nothing are tongue-in-cheek.  Will you teach for free?

825341062[/snapback]

I actually probably would work for whatever it cost for me to support a family. In america we are taught everything is about money and in my christian walk i think otherwise. seeing a juvenile deliquent turn areound his life and become an all-state football player is more important than the 2500 dollars i make. you can go aheadh and doubt me all you want. i know what's in my heart and that is the kids. there is a reason i work a 6.25 dollar an hour job in the summer instead of a $12.00 an hour internship I was offered at CAT Financial and that is because working with kids make me happy. It is not about how much money you make, it is about how happy you are.

I know this is a matter of principle, but these same coaches talk about bonding as a team and have each others back on the field no matter what. These coaches are going to walk out on the kids just like the board did. That's not fair. Don't give me the money excuse, some things in life are more important

I actually probably would work for whatever it cost for me to support a family. In america we are taught everything is about money and in my christian walk i think otherwise. seeing a juvenile deliquent turn areound his life and become an all-state football player is more important than the 2500 dollars i make. you can go aheadh and doubt me all you want. i know what's in my heart and that is the kids. there is a reason i work a 6.25 dollar an hour job in the summer instead of a $12.00 an hour internship I was offered at CAT Financial and that is because working with kids make me happy. It is not about how much money you make, it is about how happy you are.

I know this is a matter of principle, but these same coaches talk about bonding as a team and have each others back on the field no matter what. These coaches are going to walk out on the kids just like the board did. That's not fair. Don't give me the money excuse, some things in life are more important

825341299[/snapback]

Would you wake up you goof? Listen to what people who actually walk the walk are telling you. Are you saying those folks arent christians also? Give me a break young one. No one is doubting you, we are just saying you are wrong.

No one from the county has asked me to do this but I know some of these men who are taking a stand. THE PEOPLE OF CHEATHAM CO NEED TO STAND BEHIND THESE COACHES! They would not do this unless there was a reason to stand up to the school board! Look at the history of pay cuts in this regard and please support these coaches if they walk out. They are risking their careers and the future of their programs to make a stand. No assistant football coach should lose his tiny coaching supplement. There are other cuts that this school board can make in their budget other than football! This is just a threat to get the County Commission to agree to more money. Support the coaches and hopefully things will work out! If any head coach is fired as a direct result of the stand that he is making on this issue, I hope some smart principal in another county will step up and hire them next season!

Pleas don't take this the wrong way... but this is something that every school district may face in the coming years. Maybe someday Tennessee will change things where the school board can set their own tax rates like some other states do it! Then those school board members won't have to beg for money from the county commission and the school board members will answer directly to the voting public about funding issues rather than having this "he said, she said, game of tag!"

Edited by ELA

I have walked the walk there buddy. I am in college on will. My parents make more money than what the state requires to get signicant financial aid, thank goodness for the HOPE Scholarship or I might not be able to make it. I still struggle getting by in college. I am in the real world, when I get out I will be in debt and I know becoming a teacher won't make getting out od debt any easier. If a teacher goes into the profession for the money get out before you even get in. Don't tell me to get in the real world cause I already am. I don't understand why people thin just because people are 18, 19 , 20 years old they aren't in the real world. Kids nowadays in college ave alot of things put on their shoulders and only the ones who have made the right choices can make. Everyone do me a favor and read Proverbs 22:1, maybe that will put things in perspective.

I'd like to say that I feel for all the seniors(and juniors and sophmores and freshmen) in Cheatham County if all of this indeed does take place. I know, being I'm in my senior year as well, that if this happened to me and my teammates, it could be devastating to more than just the team itself! I wouldn't know what to do after that!..High school would be one HOLLOW place day-in and day-out! I hate that this is actually a possibility, and I realize it has happened before in other places, but this is the first and closest that I've heard of! I wish those of you in Cheatham County: the players, the students, the cheerleaders, the coaches, the teachers, the parents, and the siblings the best of luck!!!