Weight Room Totals

bhsOL

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen the video of Rychlak's bench record. The bench shirt he has on was so constrcitive that the bar couldn't hardly go down to his chest, even with 900 pounds. He would probably be a 600 or so bencher doing it with no equipment.

Actually, Gene is around 700 without a shirt and no question that powerlifting and strength training are two different things. What a football player, or any athlete for that matter, can learn from powerlifting is form and technique mean everything. And learning to apply that strength gained in the weight room to the playing field is crucial.

Olympic Lifting is a true test of strength.

No doubt but then again, so world the strongman events and so on.

No equipment is going to help you get a clean and jerk or snatch.

Not completely true but, a totally different debate.

McGavock holds a bench press and power clean contest every spring sponsored by Coca-Cola. The weight classes are under 140, 141-160, 161-180, 181-200, 201-220, 221-240, 241-260, and 261 to unlimited. There is also a best lifter done by formula. It is scheduled for Thursday March 10th. Coach Larry Coffee at McGavock is your contact. (615) 885-8850. Hendersonville won it last year. If you think you are strong, bring it on. thumb

825363013[/snapback]

I can really appreciate this. I was one of the judges at this event last season and completely agree, bring it on if you think you are strong. The cool thing was the kids supoorting and yelling for each other. It was great to see each team do well but, the kids really got behind a lifter that was doing exceedingly well or even lifters that were struggling.

I coach my son in powerlifting. He's 16 and plays for Mt. Juliet.

He competed in June of this year in a sanctioned meet and hit a 660 squat, 375 bench and 565 deadlift.

He's also competed in Strongman as a 15 year old and placed 4th out of a group 12 men in the heavy weight division.

I know and have handled Josh Ward from Sevierville, TN and he benched in the mid 500's a couple of years ago.

These lifts were done in powerlifting meets. Both kids have done more int eh lifts in the gym but, we can't count those as they weren't done in meets.

825365130[/snapback]

I was at that meet in Goodlettsville this Summer as a spectator. Your son is definately stout (and big). I came up to see a buddy of mine from Knoxville compete, as well as to let my 15 year old son see if he would like to get into powerlifting. He was pretty fired up after the meet. My friend told me that there's a meet this December at the Opryland Hotel. I figure my son will enter that contest. Before the season, he powercleaned 250#, benched 275# and squatted 405#, all between 190# - 195# bw. He's never deadlifted, though, so that should be interesting. Since the season started, they have completely stopped lifting, so I doubt he could match these maxes right now. He should be ready by the time of the meet, though.

At Sullivan Central, Derek Miller is the powerhouse of the Sullivan Central football team. At 6'3", 205 lbs, he can bench 425, squat 500, and clean 275. He's thinking of becoming a professional powerlifter.

825367090[/snapback]

Professional powerlifting...now there's where the money's at! ;) At 6'3" and 205, this kid must have some short arms in order to be pushing 400#. Either that or he was bitten by a mutated red and blue spider on a field trip and woke up with the ability to climb walls and shoot webs from his wrists.

Professional powerlifting...now there's where the money's at!  ;)  At 6'3" and 205, this kid must have some short arms in order to be pushing 400#.  Either that or he was bitten by a mutated red and blue spider on a field trip and woke up with the ability to climb walls and shoot webs from his wrists.

825367149[/snapback]

;) , lol, thats funny....

BigWesDad, why doesn't Crawford bring a team to the superlift? I know of several kids at MJ that could do well. I know he was invited. The point I was making about Rychlak is that the equipment added hundreds of pounds to his lift. That is just not lifting to me. Perhaps to you and Louie Simmons, but not me. Nothing against powerlifting. I just think the upper levels of the sport have turned into a circus. To each his own. I Would like to know how equipment could help you in a snatch or Clean and Jerk, however. Also, I agree that strongman is a fine test of how strength is carried over to athletic pursuits. Look like Tarzan, play like Jane will not work in strongman. And yes, I helped out at the last two NASS Music City Strongman contests. I have also judged the Coca-Cola super-lift every year since about 1989. I also know who you are as I used to work in the summer for Hunter Allen. I hope you can convince Coach Crawford to bring a team and we would love for you to help us out as a judge again. thumb