Friday Night Lights

secretasianman

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also went to the movie tonight and have to put it with Remember the Titans in a toss up. They are actually 2 different types of movies. Remember the Titans was more inspirational and FNL was more thought provoking. I tend to lean a little bit more towards Remember the Titans b/c it more closely relates to the type of football and social situation of my highschool. If I went to a 5A school in Texas (or a rural school for that matter), It would have probably touched me much more. When one considers the question of the best sports movie, I think all people, according to the experiences they had, would claim that certain movies touched them differently. For example, I think Hoosier was a great movie, but b/c I didnt play highschool hoops, it didnt move me like a highschool football movie does. Enough on that subject, back to FNL.

Since reading the book in 1995, I have referred numerous people to this book. I have always been intrigued by the way that the people in this town developed their identities and esteem from the statis of the team, year in and year out. The book stated, "in bad times, the unemployment rate skyrocketed; in good times the murder rate skyrockets, but every Friday night from Sept thru Dec...all troubles seem to vanish and this hardluck town becomes a place where dreams come true." I couldnt imagine, putting the psychological burden of the town onto the shoulders of 16 and 17 year-olds (kind of reminds you of how some people are with UT football, here in Knoxville).

The movie was extremely consistent with the book, esp. by portraying how depressing the city looked. The coin flip was classic...seems like an odd way to settle a tiebreaker (it would be kind of like having the Commissioner himself pick the tie-breaker for the SEC championship game, if 3 teams tie in division...oh yeah they actually do that...crazy!!). Booby was to the "T", except for not having the "Terminator X" towel, although he did have the Public Enemy jacket to make up for it. Some things that didn't correspond to the book dealt with the mathup with Carter: game was played in Austin at Univ Texas Memorial stadium in the pouring rain, it was a semi-final matchup, and the score and ending was a little different. Nevertheless, the movie is a must see!

I got to see FNL today. Its a great movie. I didn't think it was as good as remember the titans, or rudy. I thought it was too fast paced, and it could have been better with some more character development. There were also a few scenes early in the movie that wern't neccicary to the plot, and didn't help the stereotype of high school athleats. The football scenes were awesome. The scene with the Lord's prayer was really good too. And then end of the movie almost made me cry. I've never loved the way a movie ended, and at the same time, hated the way a movie ended at the same time before. It was one of those movies that just makes you really miss playin' football, and make you want to go put on a helmet, and just have one more friday night of football under the lights. And one more thing, i never noticed how big high school football actually was in texas. I heard that their home stadium, was the actual stadium! What would it take to get High School Football that big here in tennessee? Anyway, this is a must see movie for anyone who ever played the game.

"The Longest Yard" with Burt Reynolds and that really tall dude from Happy Gilmore... that one's my favorite.  You know, the one where the prison guards play the inmates.  I heard that they're remaking it starring Adam Sandler and one of the Wayans brothers; it should rake in millions, perhaps billions, at the box office.  Why? It'll be because it's the best football movie to come out this year, even better than FNL.

825374806[/snapback]

Adam Sandler has been working with former pro QB's to learn the game, he was on sportscenter a few weeks ago. Also Burt Reynolds is going to be in the movie, playing the part as Coach Nate Scarboro.

Here is a list of others that are going to be in the longest yard.

Adam Sandler-Paul "Wrecking" Crew

Michael Irvin-Deacon Moss

Nelly-Earl Megget

Bill Goldberg-Joey Battle

Bill Romanowski-Guard Lambert

Kevin Nash-Guard Engleheart

Steve Austin-Guard Dunham

Brian Bosworth-Guard Garner

Chris Rock-Cartaker

Awesome movie!!!!! This reminded me of how last year when we went to Fulton playing to go to the boro and the whole town here had signs put on stores and signs in yards cheering them on as they rode through town on their way out last thanksgiving. This movie made me realize just how much pressure are on those young men that are playing their hearts out for their town and school and how we as parents and fans should always support our teams and stand behind them, and at the same time not putting so much pressure on them. Great movie a total thumb 's up from me.....................