High School Rule

tyjacks

I think every player deserves the right to wear wristbands wherever he desires. Individual attention is something that a team needs to get a better fan base.

825377623[/snapback]

I beg to differ. A player does not have a right to wear wristbands where he "wants to". A player does have the right to wear the proper uniform as in accordance with the NFHS rules. The rules are clear on this subject. Not every official is enforcing this rule and that is a issue. Before a game starts, each coach is asked if his team is properly dressed. This is something the coach should take care of before the players hit the field and not the refs!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think every player deserves the right to wear wristbands wherever he desires. Individual attention is something that a team needs to get a better fan base.

825377623[/snapback]

Unity helps a team win. Winning builds tradition. Tradition builds pride. Pride builds the fan base. Take the individual out and get a better fan base.

bottom line, i've never seen it enforced and until it is, i'll keep wearing them.

If a player wants to wear a wristband, then he should wear it b/c it's not hurting anyone (unless the coach has a rule prohibiting them on his team). TSSAA needs to focus on training their refs on rules that actually affect the outcome of a game, not some obscure, stupid rule that no one cares about.

If someone wearing wristbands above their wrist is going to cause distraction for a team then the team will not be successful anyway. Wearing accessories doesn't take away from the team concept unless the player or team chooses to do so. This is not a saftey hazard so why the rule? It is a silly rule, it would be like outlawing headbands in basketball.

I believe in rules and I believe in playing by them. I also believe in a dress code.

Dress codes should be up to each team and coaches should use a dress code to instill pride. Personally the only thing I dont like is the way they wear their socks. You see a team huddle up and some will have their socks covering their entire calves, some with ankle socks and others wearing those footies that make them look like they are not wearing any socks at all. My wife wears footies for crying out loud. However I dont think tssaa needs to make a rule about that either. With that said I have to agree with some of ya'll on this wristband issue. I dont see the harm wearing them any way they want. The idea that they are a distraction...... C,mon can anyone even imagine how a white band around a players elbow could distract anyone. If some of you are saying that everyone should look exactly the same what about those large neck rolls and those kidney protectors flapping when they run, the center or QB's towell a cast on someones hand, and when it gets cold some wear long sleeves and some do not (linemen) and those handwarmer things some wear. Now those are things that vary from person to person that aren't pointed out as distractions.

I think the reason players wear their wristbands everywhere is just like one guy said earlier they are just trying to look like the pros or their favorite player. Is there really anything wrong with that? As competitive as football is in high school I think a lot of people look past these kids and the fact that the largest majority will never step on a feild again after high school. If it isn't a safety concern ( I have never ever heard of anyone pointing to someones wristband as the cause of an injury) . Should we not let them play and have fun, after all men these are still kids and having fun should still be something they try to do.

Don't think for a second I am soft or some kind of bleeding heart democrat with that statment. The main reason for being on the field is winning.... but then again I cant think of anything more fun than winning. wristbands included. LOL

Roll Wildcats Roll

i have heard a version of the whole jersey thing ELA, but thats crazy to tuck in your jersey, (if it doesnt fit), i can understand an undershirt.2 weeks ago a player was told to tuck in there undershirt. but to the whole wristbands. last friday i had cut a wristband in half to make in thinner and wore them on my biceps, and the refs up in rhea county didnt say anything. i also think wearing wristbands is also like having a tattoo, it sounds like if a wristband is a distraction then so is a tattoo, but thats just me. if your going to take of a wristband that a distraction then why dont you make the guys that have tattoos cover them up, whats the difference in those 2? there both on your arms and for me above the elbow.

From redtwin:"I wore gloves as an o-lineman, but only so I could hold better." this couldnt be put any better. to put in my two cents, i happen to think that "spat", especially socks pulled over the shoes, is completely wrong and should be outlawed. if ohio high school basketball can make lebron james cover up his tattoos, then young men ages 15-19 don't need to wear unneeded articles of clothing.

well i have played all my life and every friday night me along with a bunch of other guys wear armbands (above the wrist) and nothing has been said this is obviously not a rule be cause no refs inforce it

show some proof!!!! :unsure:

825380012[/snapback]

Just because some refs dont enforce it does not mean that is not a rule. An earlier post quoted from the NFHS rules book that it IS A RULE!!

Edited by Bighurt