Ladies Classic

gogreene

Here is the schedule fior the first day of the Christmas Tournament in Greeneville. Let us know what you all think about the first round games and the possible winner.

10:00 Jefferson County vs. Elizabethton (1)

11:30 North Greene vs. Wilson Central (2)

1:00 Sevier County vs Powell (2)

2:30 Mount Juliet vs. Lake Mary, Fla (4)

4:00 Walker Valley vs. West Greene (4)

5:30 Greeneville vs. Fort Payne, AL (3)

7:00 Chuckey Doak vs. Maryville Heritage (3)

8:30 South Greene vs. Cabrini, LA (1)

The numbers out from the last team lets you know what bracket the groups are in. 1 & 2 are in the top bracket, and 3 & 4 are in the bottom.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming I am reading this correctly, winners/losers of (1) would play each other on the 2nd day, (1) would play (2) in Semis, and the (1/2) would play (3/4) in finals. Nice way to list it, by the way!

The first round game that jumps out at me is Sevier County versus Powell. That should prove to be a very good game! I would assume the winner would face Wilson Central.

If anyone knows anything about the Out-Of-State (OOS) teams, I would like to hear it. Very few OOS teams make the trip unless they are good, so I would think the Greeneville/Ft Payne game would very interesting!

I would hope The Jeff County Lady Pats could get by Elizabetton, and then might see the Cabrini team.

The possible Greeneville/Heritage game in the 2nd round would be a rematch of the playoff game last year. That shapes up to be a barn burner!

Right now, this is a tough one to call. I think it could be Jeff County, Powell, Greeneville, and Mount Juliet in the semis, and then I think it is a toss-up from there.

Probably Greeneville in the end. (as much as I hate saying that!) But check back in a month, after some real games have been played.

This is going to be a great tourny to watch! The price for a ticket to see 8 games is well worth it!

Fort Payne was a top team in Alabama last season - losing only a few games . FWIW-There are 6 classifications, and I believe Fort Payne is a 5A team. W/them coming to the Classic it will be a good way to gauge where Alabama girls basketball is compared to the neighbor to the north!

Fort Payne was a top team in Alabama last season - losing only a few games .  FWIW-There are 6 classifications, and I believe Fort Payne is a 5A team.  W/them coming to the Classic it will be a good way to gauge where Alabama girls basketball is compared to the neighbor to the north!

825424966[/snapback]

Ft Payne has enrollment of about 480 students. Division 5A in AL consists of schools with enrollments between about 425 and 700 students. Similar schools in TN are 2A and 3A. Ft Payne had a strong team last year. Made it to regional tournament.

I would be hesitant to use them as a measuring stick for the entire state though.

This tournament always attracts top talent from out of state. I am a bit surprised at this team's invitation but I am sure they won't disappoint.

Edited by barb

• 3 weeks later...
Here is the schedule fior the first day of the Christmas Tournament in Greeneville.  Let us know what you all think about the first round games and the possible winner.

10:00  Jefferson County vs. Elizabethton  (1)

11:30  North Greene vs. Wilson Central  (2)

1:00    Sevier County vs Powell  (2)

2:30    Mount Juliet vs. Lake Mary, Fla  (4)

4:00    Walker Valley vs. West Greene  (4)

5:30    Greeneville vs. Fort Payne, AL  (3)

7:00    Chuckey Doak vs. Maryville Heritage  (3)

8:30    South Greene vs. Cabrini, LA  (1)

The numbers out from the last team lets you know what bracket the groups are in.  1 & 2 are in the top bracket, and 3 & 4 are in the bottom.

825424314[/snapback]

How are these matchups looking now that we have a few games under our belts?

Edited by GottaHaveHeart

From reading posts, that Jeff County/ Elizabethton game could be a barnburner!

Powell seems to be having some difficulties, and Sevier County looks like they are rebuilding. I think Greeneville and Heritage are slated for a second round match, that should be a good one too!

Sounds like South Greene had some turmoil this week. Tradition says that Mount Juliet and Wilson Central will be tough. Mount Juliet just put it to Shelbyville. I would be interested to here about both teams from other parts of the state.

Another 10 days should clear up a lot of expectations.

Edited by raiderray

The Florida team is very athletic but not use to "our" style of play. By that I mean in last years tournament at Page, I believe this is the same team, they were weak defending alot of picks and set offenses but would run you out of the gym. Problem was they weren't well conditioned and couldn't keep up a fast pace over the entire game. They were a one or two pass team then drive to the basket looking for a foul and well coached teams took charges and also didn't allow the drives. It 's one of those deals when they look like the Lakers warming up but aren't really that good. "All show and no go" imo