DCA @ Mt. Pleasant-----Battle of the 12-0's

TheScout

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I must say that MP surprised me when they came back and beat CPA Friday night. I never really thought they would defeat a veteran CPA club and get this far. Congratulations to the Tigers and Region 6 whom I underestimated. Region 6 has held their own against Region 5 this year and it appears ironically that it will come down to the best team in Region 5(DCA) vs the best team in Region 6(MP). It is also a great chance for Mount Pleasant because the champion of Region 5 has represented the west in the state title game FOUR consecutive years! Can MP end that streak this year against DCA?

But with all that aside, its time for the return of my extremely long, indepth analysis of the big game! I did it for CPA vs DCA and I was more-or-less right on target. Lets see if I can keep my streak going.

#1 DCA(12-0) vs #2 Mount Pleasant(12-0)

MP Run vs DCA Run Defense-DCA had a lot of trouble with Wayne County's running game and that isn't a good omen coming into this game because MP has some very talented ball carriers. I do believe, however, that the triple option veer system itself did more damage than the WC players themselves. Wayne County constantly confused DCA and kept them off balance. MP doesn't run the same kind of offense. Ruddle hurt DCA more than anyone else and Josh Kelley is not the moble QB that Jo Ruddle was. They also like to utilize their passing threats, while Wayne County ran the ball almost exclusively. DCA should do better against the MP run game although MP does have better athletes than Wayne County had. DCA has played good running teams this year(CPA) and has done excellently against them(held Landers to ZERO yards rushing), but none of them ran a veer. I think the system hurt DCA more than the players. With that said, RoRo Fennessee ran the ball very well against DCA and if Theo is healthy, DCA will have a very hard time against MP's committee of good runners.

If the Tigers use Webster, Sparkman, and Dailey as well as the Fennessee brothers, it could spell trouble for DCA's run defense.

EDGE-MP

MP Pass vs DCA Pass Defense-Mount Pleasant also has talented ball catchers in Webster, Lee Davis, and others. They used the passing game to come back in the 4th quarter against CPA and did it effectively.Kelley has come on as a QB. But if I were Walt Smith, I would definately stick to running the ball. DCA has a fabulous secondary. They weren't allowed to show it against WC for the simple reason that WC doesn't pass, but ask anyone from CPA(3 int) or JCS(4 int) and they will testify to the ability of the DCA pass defense. DCA's cover corners are sticky and they don't leave anyone open. Their safeties, especially Drew Jackson who leads the team in interceptions, are hard hitters and have a nose for the football. The DCA defensive line might be the best pass rushing line I've seen in a while. They are in the backfield and have the quarterback on the run nearly every passing down and they are very good at getting their hands up and tipping the ball, increasing the chance of an interception. The big stat, though, is that DCA is one interception away from tieing the TSSAA single season record at THIRTY. Yep, MP better stick to running it. <_<

EDGE-DCA

DCA Run vs MP Run Defense-DCA's running game is as good as there is in 1A. Chris Wooden has steadily improved every week during the last month and is coming off of a big game against WC. He is starting to resemble the Chris Wooden from before his offseason ACL surgery. During his injury, DCA's overall running game improved greatly and now that he is nearly healthy, they are a more powerful running team than they were last season in my opinion. Ryan Fields has really come on as a speedy change of pace to Wooden and has shown he can even carry the load in a game himself if Wooden is nicked up or ineffective. They run behind a huge O-line that opens up big holes for them. QB Jim Fenwich is a big run threat on the perimeter. He is vey elusive and is hard to get a hand on. DCA will use plenty of designed runs for him. MP has a big defensive line anchored by Adam Nolan and they are very good at causing turnovers. DCA has been known to fumble the football, so MP is surely gonna try to rip the ball out on running plays. But MP had a lot of trouble with Luke Landers and the CPA ground game Friday night. That doesn't bode well for MP, because DCA is a far superior running team than CPA.

EDGE-DCA

DCA Pass vs MP Pass Defense-DCA has a veteran QB who is an excellent passer and doesn't make many mistakes or takes too many chances. When his receivers are covered, he often takes to the ground and picks up a chunk running. DCA's receivers are fast and athletic and usually find a way to catch the ball if its anywhere near them(usually its right in their chest). MP's secondary has played taken some criticism lately but answered Friday night by controlling CPA's passing game, thought CPA was missing one of their starting wideouts. Rod Whitaker is a fine pass defender and Fenwich needs to steer clear of him in his reads. Before Friday night, I would've given the edge to DCA, especially since Fenwich went 8 for 8 for 273 yards and 4 TDs against Cascade. Fenwich had a lackluster game against WC and MP really proved themselves against CPA's passing game so....

EDGE-MP

Special Teams-DCA has 3 quality kickers on thier roster, but #7 John Bevans is probably the best. He belted every single kickoff through the back of the endzone against WC and #16 Aaron Basescu kicked a 36 yard FG. MP kicker Angel Jaime missed an extra point against CPA, so DCA gets the kicking advantage. DCA's Daniel Winningham averages 36 yards a punt, while Caleb Dugger averages 24 yards a punt. Both teams have stellar return men, but the kicking game is solidly in DCA's favor. That is crucial in a game that matches two great teams like these.

EDGE-DCA

Location-Its at the Jungle, one of the biggest homefield advantages in the State. Expect a loud crowd to be in DCA's head all night.

EDGE-MP

Coaching-Dennis Goodwin vs Walt Smith. One is the dean of Region 5 coaches and is trying to get DCA its Third Gold Ball, the other has led his team from 0-10 to 10-0 in two seasons and is looking for his First. Can I really pick a winner?

EDGE-TIED

Common Opponents-

------------MP--------------------DCA-----------

FRA---------35-14-----------------48-7

Wayne------51-13---------------38-16

Cascade-----30-28-------------42-7

CPA----------21-14 ---------------28-7

EDGE-DCA

Should be a close game, a great game, an exciting game and a well played game.

My Pick-DCA 24-MP 20

Edited by unbiasedspectator

DCA hasn't played anybody who has a reciever like 6-3 Jamarcus that can jump 3-4 feet vertically off the ground and catch the ball when it is 11 feet above the ground. If Kelly throws the ball at the right height like he has been most of the time, then Jamarcus will more than likely catch it. It's crazy, but it doesn't always work, and can back fire if the throw is off even a little.

And another thing, DCA does not have a RB as explosive as Landers. Wooden is a power runner, and u forgot to mention RoRo(Mr. Football Finalist) in the middle. He is an explosive tackler from sideline to sideline. I think he will make it tougher on the DCA running game. The power of DCA is a concern though, but I think the game will be far different from CPA.

I have no idea who will win this game or by how much. I just hope MP plays hard and shows DCA that they are tough.

Edited by wuzMP63

Congradulations to MP on a great season so far.  I was just wondering how many seniors MP has on this years team?  I know they have a lot of Sr. and Jr., I also would guess that they have plenty of athletes in younger grades also - like the young RB who has seen alot of action.  Give us some information on the FUTURE of MP football, it is definetly going in the right direction after last season and their success this year.

825432136[/snapback]

good luck to mt.pleasant show dca how we play football in region 61a

Man DCA is going to win this game. I still believe CPA is a better team, well I know they are. Friday night they just thought it was over and didn't realize it until there was 40 secs to go. They drove the entire length of the field and just ran out of time. Mt. Pleasant is a good team but I wasn't impressed at all. And before you all get on here and boast about how "y'all" won the game, It won't change the way I saw things. Yes Mt. Pleasant does have some athletes and yes they did defeat CPA and yes they deserve to move on but NO they won't beat DCA. HECK if they do I'll come back from college and take the entire squad out for pizza or w/e "y'all" do down in Mt. Pleasant. Lets go DCA put this team in their place.

Man DCA is going to win this game. I still believe CPA is a better team, well I know they are. Friday night they just thought it was over and didn't realize it until there was 40 secs to go. They drove the entire length of the field and just ran out of time. Mt. Pleasant is a good team but I wasn't impressed at all. And before you all get on here and boast about how "y'all" won the game, It won't change the way I saw things. Yes Mt. Pleasant does have some athletes and yes they did defeat CPA and yes they deserve to move on but NO they won't beat DCA. HECK if they do I'll come back from college and take the entire squad out for pizza or w/e "y'all" do down in Mt. Pleasant. Lets go DCA put this team in their place.

825432413[/snapback]

I cant think of anyone in Mt. Pleasant that would want to spend any time with you, just send a check instead.

825432413[/snapback]

"Put this team in their place"?-- How ignorant for you to get on here and make such a statement!!!!!!!!! I think this team is EXACTLY where they need to be. This team has worked hard and they have earned everything they have gotten.

" I wasn't impressed at all."-- Well guess what 4NASH, we don't give a FLIP if YOU were or not! Statements like that only show how juvinile you really are.

Do us all a favor and just STAY at college. HECK, go spend some more time in class, sounds as if thats exactly where you need to be. I have listened to you slander Mt. Pleasant ALL year long with your stupid comments and I am sick of it. GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!

4NASHPRIVATES You should be a shame to get on here and say CPA did not know they were losing until 40 seconds to go !! What does that say about that team and coaches that they were not in to it mentally. I am sure they worked hard all year and would not won't someone on here to make an excuse for them. They are to good of a program for you to say things like that. Show a little respect to them and MP!! They played like WARRIORS all night and I don't think they need you to make a excuse for them. PS. MP TIGERS#1 :lol: