DCA @ Mt. Pleasant-----Battle of the 12-0's

TheScout

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from what I've seen and know. DCA is the clear favorite to win this game.

MP will need a really passionate and determined effort to prove the majority wrong. They must bring all their passion, intensity, and focus from start to finish to have a chance. The linemen will likely determine the outcome.

Edited by wuzMP63

"Beware of entrance to a quarrel, but being in it, bear it, that the opposed may beware of thee." Polonius (Hamlet) I am quickly reminded of these words when I read everyone's replies. Therefore, in an effort to clear several things up, I will add my own thoughts as a spectator that has watched both DCA & MP play. C. Dugger, #3, and not the Fennessees or Webster, is the best FB player for MP. Webster will tell you if it's run or pass by his demeanor off the LOS. He's lethargic when he's not involved in the play, as many good wideouts are at the HS level. It makes an easy read for the D. I am impressed with RoRo. He brings his hat to the point of impact. CPA beat MP deep several times, but it was just a matter of not connecting. MP must get better in coverage because DCA can throw it deep. Remember, MP's comeback drives were kept alive by penalties, not completely by execution. However, I was surprised by MP's fight. They do have a lot of will, but DCA has been there and tasted it. It's hard to beat mental toughness and experience. MP did not have an answer for Landers, but DCA doesn't have the speed of Landers. In fact, neither team has speed like his. Remember MP fans, CPA also had a few first down runs called back by penalties. MP must pound the ball up the middle, and not the edge. DCA will make it difficult for MP to pass the ball, especially those lob passes. DCA's safeties are smart and will jump on those lobs to Webster. DCA schemes and tackles to well to give up the big play in the flats or off the edge. Fenwick is the key factor. He plays well, DCA is a sure win. If he struggles, it is a mighty tight game. We do now that MP will not give up, but they must not even bend. MP didn't want anything to do with CPA's #44 running up the middle as he flat ran some over. DCA will put this kind of pressure on MP. Wooden is rock solid toughness wise, but MP does have the speed to contain him, but guess what, Wooden's not going to try to run around you. I will conjecture that Fenwick will play well, and DCA wins 14-7. This will not be a high scoring affair. If Fenwick plays sub-par, DCA wins 10-6. As far as ya'll bickering over public vs. private. Enjoy the competition because it's over after this year. This is actually going to hurt the public schools with media attention and gate receipts that the private schools bring, especially during the playoffs.

"Beware of entrance to a quarrel, but being in it, bear it, that the opposed may beware of thee."  Polonius (Hamlet)  I am quickly reminded of these words when I read everyone's replies.  Therefore, in an effort to clear several things up, I will add my own thoughts as a spectator that has watched both DCA & MP play.  C. Dugger, #3, and not the Fennessees or Webster, is the best FB player for MP.  Webster will tell you if it's run or pass by his demeanor off the LOS.  He's lethargic when he's not involved in the play, as many good wideouts are at the HS level.  It makes an easy read for the D.  I am impressed with RoRo.  He brings his hat to the point of impact.  CPA beat MP deep several times, but it was just a matter of not connecting.  MP must get better in coverage because DCA can throw it deep.  Remember, MP's comeback drives were kept alive by penalties, not completely by execution.  However, I was surprised by MP's fight.  They do have a lot of will, but DCA has been there and tasted it.  It's hard to beat mental toughness and experience.  MP did not have an answer for Landers, but DCA doesn't have the speed of Landers.  In fact, neither team has speed like his.  Remember MP fans, CPA also had a few first down runs called back by penalties.  MP must pound the ball up the middle, and not the edge.  DCA will make it difficult for MP to pass the ball, especially those lob passes.  DCA's safeties are smart and will jump on those lobs to Webster.  DCA schemes and tackles to well to give up the big play in the flats or off the edge.  Fenwick is the key factor.  He plays well, DCA is a sure win.  If he struggles, it is a mighty tight game.    We do now that MP will not give up, but they must not even bend.  MP didn't want anything to do with CPA's #44 running up the middle as he flat ran some over.  DCA will put this kind of pressure on MP.  Wooden is rock solid toughness wise, but MP does have the speed to contain him, but guess what, Wooden's not going to try to run around you.  I will conjecture that Fenwick will play well, and DCA wins 14-7.  This will not be a high scoring affair.  If Fenwick plays sub-par, DCA wins 10-6.  As far as ya'll bickering over public vs. private.  Enjoy the competition because it's over after this year.  This is actually going to hurt the public schools with media attention and gate receipts that the private schools bring, especially during the playoffs.

825437310[/snapback]

Nice break down coach. I agree with you that MP will have trouble running to the edge. DCA's defense pursues too well. Although, I'm not sure running between the tackles at their tackles and linebackers is all that great of an idea either.

Edited by Hiker

From Quikpik: There is a 4th coach who teaches at a large public school outside of Nashville who drives 45 minutes to practice each day for the honor of coaching with his son (one of the coaches on staff).

Thank you for mentioning this. He obviously makes a great deal of sacrifice to coach at DCA. Do you know where he teaches?

stembowhat, i myself get really upset sometimes that we have to play the privates and say things that i don't really mean.  i am pretty sure that's the same thing that happened in this case.  i totally understand why parents send their kids to private schools in bigger cities.  if i lived there, i would probably do the same.  you also have to understand where we are coming from.  all that us "small town schools" want is to have to play against the same competition.  for instance, wayne co has three coaches in all.  our coaches not only have to coach all week and break down film on the weekends, they also have to mow and paint the field.  we don't have nine full time paid coaches like cpa not to mention someone to mow our field.  you also have to understand that the only private school that this region plays all year is columbia academy who all think they hung the moon.  they truly think that they are better than everyone else because they go to ca.  hardly no one out of the ca students can hardly stand them.  i know they do recruit because they talked one of my friends into playing for them.  the guy i work for also was recruited to go there when he was in high school.  they guaranteed him a scholarship to a four year school for baseball if he played for them or they would pay for him to go themselves.  they also paid his highschool tuition.  for the record they are supposed to be non financial aid.  the only reason you never hear anything about ca on here is because they focus mainly just on baseball.  we go into the games with these nashville schools with the same mentality as we have playing ca.  i know for a fact that when i left the cpa field my senior year after we were beat in the playoffs by them that i felt totally different.  they were the nicest people we had probaly ever played against.  the same can be said for dca.  wooden and number 23 came over into the wayne co huddle to talk to our seniors and tell them what a great game they played last friday.  they also waited for us to get out of the locker room to talk to them some more.  both of these schools are class acts.  we all know this but we have no choice to be somewhat bitter because without the region 5 teams being in 1a, region 6could have possibly won the last six state championships in a row.  collinwood could have won it four years in a row, wayne co could have won it last year and mp has a great shot to win it this year. i hope that somewere in this post you can understand where we are coming from.

with all of that being said, we all have to remember that mp has a great shot at beating both of the private powerhouses in the same year.  come this friday night, mp has the chance to make all of our region proud.  i have somewhat been on mp all year long.  at the first of the season i talked about how i knew they would be undiciplined and they weren't.  i then talked about how they were traditionaly punks and once again they weren't.  our game with them was probaly the cleanest game all we played all year.  i then said they couldn't stop the pass and last week they did.  so i have finally came to the reality that no matter what happens this week, they are that good and deserve to be where they are.  good luck friday night mp and bring it home for region 6!

825436211[/snapback]

I wish that some of you guys would stop making this game into a "public school" vs. a "private school" game. Just face the facts that really matter. These are two very talented and great teams. It doesn't matter what kind of school they are, what their high school enrollment is, or how many coaches they have on the sidelines. Both of these teams have D-1 talent on both sides of the ball. Ya'll should be excited about seeing a great game between two unbeatens!!

From Quikpik: There is a 4th coach who teaches at a large public school outside of Nashville who drives 45 minutes to practice each day for the honor of coaching with his son (one of the coaches on staff). 

Thank you for mentioning this. He obviously makes a great deal of sacrifice to coach at DCA. Do you know where he teaches?

825437335[/snapback]

Dickson

I don't know how or why but people always get this screwed up. For one #3 is Caleb Dugger and #5 is Lee Davis. You got that right, but #5 Lee Davis is the FB and #3 Caleb Dugger is the Wide Out. They do look the same on the field, but Davis is alot bigger than Dugger. If you see them up close after the game you will see that.

"Beware of entrance to a quarrel, but being in it, bear it, that the opposed may beware of thee."  Polonius (Hamlet)  I am quickly reminded of these words when I read everyone's replies.  Therefore, in an effort to clear several things up, I will add my own thoughts as a spectator that has watched both DCA & MP play.  C. Dugger, #3, and not the Fennessees or Webster, is the best FB player for MP.  Webster will tell you if it's run or pass by his demeanor off the LOS.  He's lethargic when he's not involved in the play, as many good wideouts are at the HS level.  It makes an easy read for the D.  I am impressed with RoRo.  He brings his hat to the point of impact.  CPA beat MP deep several times, but it was just a matter of not connecting.  MP must get better in coverage because DCA can throw it deep.  Remember, MP's comeback drives were kept alive by penalties, not completely by execution.  However, I was surprised by MP's fight.  They do have a lot of will, but DCA has been there and tasted it.  It's hard to beat mental toughness and experience.  MP did not have an answer for Landers, but DCA doesn't have the speed of Landers.  In fact, neither team has speed like his.  Remember MP fans, CPA also had a few first down runs called back by penalties.  MP must pound the ball up the middle, and not the edge.  DCA will make it difficult for MP to pass the ball, especially those lob passes.  DCA's safeties are smart and will jump on those lobs to Webster.  DCA schemes and tackles to well to give up the big play in the flats or off the edge.  Fenwick is the key factor.  He plays well, DCA is a sure win.  If he struggles, it is a mighty tight game.    We do now that MP will not give up, but they must not even bend.  MP didn't want anything to do with CPA's #44 running up the middle as he flat ran some over.  DCA will put this kind of pressure on MP.  Wooden is rock solid toughness wise, but MP does have the speed to contain him, but guess what, Wooden's not going to try to run around you.  I will conjecture that Fenwick will play well, and DCA wins 14-7.  This will not be a high scoring affair.  If Fenwick plays sub-par, DCA wins 10-6.  As far as ya'll bickering over public vs. private.  Enjoy the competition because it's over after this year.  This is actually going to hurt the public schools with media attention and gate receipts that the private schools bring, especially during the playoffs.

825437310[/snapback]

This is so accurate. Good post. The only thing I would add is the big difference in the kicking game. I am not sure MP could kick the field goal where DCA can.

I think this game comes down to who can control the line of scrimmage!! From what i hear DCA is big up front. MP has got some size also, maybe not as big from what i hear. I can say this, MP has some great athletes in the skill positions, if MP can get some good play on the line, them MP can turn'em loose!! I haven't heard much about DCA's overall team speed, but i can say MP is pretty fast!!

MP has been very impressive defensively in my opionion, the only negative about the defense is it has given up big plays at times. I haven't seen many teams able to actually drive the ball the length of the field and score, most have been on breakdowns in the secondary! If MP doesn't allow big plays, i don't think DCA will score much!!

MP has to play tougher in the trenches than they have all year!! This is their time to show off all that weight room work in the offseason! Everybody says that DCA will beat MP in the trenches but i don't think so!!

I think this game comes down to who can control the line of scrimmage!! From what i hear DCA is big up front. MP has got some size also, maybe not as big from what i hear. I can say this, MP has some great athletes in the skill positions, if MP can get some good play on the line, them MP can turn'em loose!! I haven't heard much about DCA's overall team speed, but i can say MP is pretty fast!!

MP has been very impressive defensively in my opionion, the only negative about the defense is it has given up big plays at times. I haven't seen many teams able to actually drive the ball the length of the field and score, most have been on breakdowns in the secondary! If MP doesn't allow big plays, i don't think DCA will score much!!

MP has to play tougher in the trenches than they have all year!! This is their time to show off all that weight room work in the offseason! Everybody says that DCA will beat MP in the trenches but i don't think so!!

825438212[/snapback]

You bring up a good point. One of the major keys to this game will be the line play down in the trenches. The team that controls the line of scrimmage and plays more physical will in all likely hood win the game. It will be tough for Mt. Pleasant to match DCA's toughness and strength, but from what I've heard they have the athletes that are capable of it. Should be a great game. Can't wait to head to "the jungle".

GO WILDCATS!!