Re-classification of Class A....

PTSportsWriter

Just saw the re-classified Districts.

District 3 is the most surprising to me, perhaps because I see them a lot.

That District went from a yawner, with Cosby running the table.....to pretty competitive at the top with Cosby, Rockwood, and Harriman.

Interesting, with these being the 3 of the final 4 teams in Region 2 last year.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about Region 7. A 10 team district means 18 district games. 18!!!! That means that you will be playing games that matter in the beginning on Dec. when teams are still getting things into swing. And with the 10 teams that are in District 14, losing one or two early because you haven't played enough could mean going to the region or not.

I don't understanf why they didn't put Dresden,Greenfield and Gleason in The district with Huntington ,Bruceton ,etc...We thought the district was tough..Now you have Union City,Dresden,Humbolt coming in with the teams we already have,Halls,Lake Co,Trenton,Bradford and then you add Greenfield,Gleason,and South Fulton ..Wow..this is indeed a super district but what was the T.S.S.A.A. thinking...Never mind...They weren't thinking as usual...And in football..I believe Halls got the worst..Lake Co would have to travel a good way no matter which district they are in because of their location..I would have just as soon as drive to Jackson as I had West Carrol,Bruceton,McKenzie even though Middleton and Somerville would have been a pretty good drive...Plus with 4 teams going to the playoffs it would be a lot easier going through Trinity,Fayette Ac.,Middleton than it will be going through Bruceton,Union City,McKenzie,West Carrol,S.Fulton,etc...Not saying Trinity,Fayette Ac,and Middleton aren't good teams but also they only have 6 teams also..I believe we have 8..I would rather try to get 4th with 6 teams than to get 4th with 8 teams..Especially the caliber of teams we will now have in our district.

Who in the **** did the schools in District 14 p*** off in the TSSAA office? There are 28 A teams in West TN and 10 in this one district. This is ridiculous. Not only are there 10 teams, this is the toughest district in West TN. How can you have 10 in one district, 7 in one, 6 in one and 5 in one. Obviously, TSSAA politics rules again.

Who in the **** did the schools in District 14 p*** off in the TSSAA office?  There are 28 A teams in West TN and 10 in this one district.  This is ridiculous.  Not only are there 10 teams, this is the toughest district in West TN.  How can you have 10 in one district, 7 in one, 6 in one and 5 in one.  Obviously, TSSAA politics rules again.

825436209[/snapback]

Geography and travel tranlates into time and money.

After reading this morning's paper I understand that Ronnie Carter did not recommend the West TN A division, but that this came from the Board of Control, which usually accepts the TSSAA recomendations. There are many problems with the 10 team District 14A. Having 10 extremely competitive schools obviously lessens the possibility of advancing in tournament play. Almost all your schedule will be district games. In baseball and softball it will be all but impossible to play each district team twice because of rainouts.

VOLUNTEERGENERAL you say it was done to save travel time and money. Have you ever traveled from Gleason to Halls? The redistricting may save some teams travel, but not 14A.

The TSSAA is supposed to provide the athletes an opportunity to compete fairly. This plan miserably fails this test. The 14A schools should demand that this inequity be addressed.

Teams in 16A have been going to Memphis to play district games against either Mitchell or Middle College the past few years. Gleason travels to Halls in football...so, I guess the BOC felt they could do it in basketball.

jvaughan - The 4 teams currently in 15A will have a great deal to adjust to after playing in a four team district for several years. Talk about going from one extreme to another.

All this proves is what most people already know, and that is that the TSSAA has no clue when it comes to making the right decisions. The kids are never cosidered. It has been and will always be about how much money the TSSAA can make. If it wasn't for the kids then there would be no money, thus no TSSAA. That is to easy for the TSSAA to understand.

Forget about winning the state championship, the winner of District 14A should get a gold ball!

True about the teams in the old 15A. It used to be that every one got to go to the region tournament but now you may not even make it past the quarters of the district.

Also very true about baseball. We normally forget about baseball since it isn't one of Tenn top sports but Pujols makes a very good point. There is no way that every district game is going to be played.

All and all it is going to be the most competitive district in the state in single A if not any classification. It has 4 (Halls, G-Field, SF, and Trenton) teams that have all dominated West Tenn single A in the past 4 years along with Lake Co. who may very well have a dynasty up there with Whitby and then you add Humboldt and Union City to those. And then put in two programs that are up and coming in Dresden and Bradford. The sad thing is only 4 of these 9 get a chance to move on to the region.

Edited by jvaughan