Maryville and Melrose

tngator

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

KWC...it seems to me that you don't want to actually make intelligent conversation, instead you just want to attack my own points and consider them invalid. Well thats pretty easy to do in any situation to any points. Still...by the time I was in 9th grade I had been in 9 different schools, I think I know how kids around the state think, its also called a survey type effect. You see, you take a small sample of the people and it represents the majority, barring that the sample is a neutral sample.

Also I am referencing back to 2002 and 2001 because its a trend and teams usually follow trends. They don't change a whole lot. Their schemes don't change, the fact that they don't score a lot doesn't change, etc. Why? Their coaches are usually rather set in their ways. Therefore I can look into the past and make a decent assessment, afterall, isn't that what coaches do? Sure they look at more recent instances, but thats because they are looking at matchups, the schemes usually stay the same.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OrangeMoundWest, this is Dart from the photog thread.  I live within an easy, easy drive to  Maryville and they are strong.

My team lost Friday night to a good Riverdale team. It really could have gone either way..but in the end those guys stood on top overall, excellent defense and making the breaks work for them.  I look for Riverdale to take it all on Saturday in 5a. 

Maryville each year says "how can we possibly be in the state again" and for a while, they have done it.  As for the Rebels, well I don't know the competition that well. It is a wait and see.  I will have the tube on and watching.

A poster called Riverdale has in the signature: where few facts exist, experts abound  Well, I might have misquoted but that is the substance of it. So true!  Still, fun to banter a bit long at it doesn't get downright serious and dumb.

Thanks for the link to Vern. Have written him.

I just look forward to seeing what really happens this coming Saturday.

825456988[/snapback]

What's up Dart. I know Maryville is strong. They are every year. We're strong too. Looking forward to Saturday also.

Edited by orangemoundwest

I know you guys are going to think I have way too much time on my hands. But, here are some stats I accumulated. This all started with research on the Melrose D. This is just food for thought.

Records of opponents: Melrose MHS

81 – 65 93 – 69

Melrose played a team out of Mo. that I didn’t add to the figures. Not sure if that would make this better or worse for Melrose.

Opponents Melrose played averaged, (for the Year),

scoring 22 points and giving up 20.

MHS’s opponents averaged scoring 27 and giving up 23.

Melrose scored 353 points this year for an average of 25 per game.

MHS scored 585, (21 away from tying the school record of 606), avg 42 per game.

Melrose gave up 55 points for the year avg 4 per game. 33 which came in the playoffs for 8 per game avg to teams that averaged scoring 24 per game for the year.

MHS gave up 129 for 9 points per game avg. 40 in playoffs for an avg of 10 per game. MHS’s opponents in the playoffs averaged scoring 32 points a game for the year.

This took a lot of time to put together and all it told me was what I already knew.

Melrose has a great defense, however so does MHS. Melrose offence only averaged 3 points a game higher than their regions average. So you would think that the offense is slightly better than average.

MHS’s offense averaged 15 points a game higher than their regions average. I don’t know if you call this good, great, awesome, or just two touchdowns better.

With all this being said I believe MHS can score on Melrose, (maybe not 42), and I think Melrose will have a hard time scoring over 14 on MHS.

What do you guys think… Go Rebs…

Maryville[/url'>Rebels' date='Nov 28 2004 - 10:44 PM']KWC...it seems to me that you don't want to actually make intelligent conversation, instead you just want to attack my own points and consider them invalid.  Well thats pretty easy to do in any situation to any points.  Still...by the time I was in 9th grade I had been in 9 different schools, I think I know how kids around the state think, its also called a survey type effect.  You see, you take a small sample of the people and it represents the majority, barring that the sample is a neutral sample.

Also I am referencing back to 2002 and 2001 because its a trend and teams usually follow trends.  They don't change a whole lot.  Their schemes don't change, the fact that they don't score a lot doesn't change, etc.  Why?  Their coaches are usually rather set in their ways.  Therefore I can look into the past and make a decent assessment, afterall, isn't that what coaches do?  Sure they look at more recent instances, but thats because they are looking at matchups, the schemes usually stay the same.

825457166[/snapback]

MaryvilleRebels, I thought every reply I rendered in response to an idea or concept that you may have articulated that I may not have agreed with was intelligently stated. IF my NOT agreeing with every point you presented to this board is deemed not having an intelligent conversation, then I will simply not reply to any more of your post. I'd rather be mute then to be considered an unintelligent poster.

I know you guys are going to think I have way too much time on my hands. But, here are some stats I accumulated.  This all started with research on the Melrose D.  This is just food for thought. 

Records of opponents:  Melrose  MHS

81 – 65  93 – 69     

Melrose played a team out of Mo. that I didn’t add to the figures.  Not sure if that would make this better or worse for Melrose.   

Opponents Melrose played averaged, (for the Year),

scoring 22 points and giving up 20.

MHS’s opponents averaged scoring 27 and giving up 23.

Melrose scored 353 points this year for an average of 25 per game.

MHS scored 585, (21 away from tying the school record of 606), avg 42 per game.

Melrose gave up 55 points for the year avg 4 per game. 33 which came in the playoffs for 8 per game avg to teams that averaged scoring 24 per game for the year. 

MHS gave up 129 for 9 points per game avg. 40 in playoffs for an avg of 10 per game. MHS’s opponents in the playoffs averaged scoring 32 points a game for the year.

This took a lot of time to put together and all it told me was what I already knew.

Melrose has a great defense, however so does MHS.  Melrose offence only averaged 3 points a game higher than their regions average.  So you would think that the offense is slightly better than average.

MHS’s offense averaged 15 points a game higher than their regions average.  I don’t know if you call this good, great, awesome, or just two touchdowns better. 

With all this being said I believe MHS can score on Melrose, (maybe not 42), and I think Melrose will have a hard time scoring over 14 on MHS. 

What do you guys think…  Go Rebs…

825457227[/snapback]

bigreb:

Nice work. The team Melrose played is Hazelwood Central out of St. Louis. They ended up 5-5 on the season. I don't know their stats ... but you can look them up in the St. Louis paper's website. I don't know the name of it off hand. Those stats are good for making assumptions and prognaisticating endlessly if you like that sort of thing. Is it telling of what the outcome will be Saturday? Not in the slightest. Two totally different teams comming from different ends of the state playing totally different types of teams and competition. Put your stock in it if you wish ... I know better. It's fun to look at though.

All right KWC, it seems to me that you don't want to actually make an assessment on the game and you don't want to look at the stats, no matter where they are from or what they are. So whats your opinion? That Melrose is going to win? You don't have to show stats to back this up, you just believe it or what? You make the assumption that everything we say we are banking on it deciding the outcome of the game. Thats not true, we are just looking at these facts and showing good points. Its what they do in Vegas in order to get the point spread, just because we supply these facts it doesn't mean that these facts will decide the outcome of the game, they could, but thats why we play the game, to find out. So I don't understand why you're here if you don't want to hear the intelligent and researched opinions of your opponents fans?! Is it just to throw insults to one another and then complain because we're cocky or what? Because otherwise your posts are just useless ramblingings that state the obvious! :D

Early in this post I broke down the same numbers bigreb and think IF the game goes along these number lines Maryville wins. But I agree with one of the Melrose faithful, every game is different. I don't think Melrose will shut down the MHS offence but they could slow it some. Unless flat like the Morristown game last year, Maryville will score on Melrose but how many and will it be a enough, who knows? I don't think Melrose will be able to match the points Maryville will score because of two factors. The Maryville has really grown up since the beginning of the season on Defense. I knew from watching the toss a rounds in the spring Cade, Clement, Tallent, Byner, Others and the new kid Childs, the Offence would score some serious points. But looking at a young defense and the lack of what I thought was leadership in the Seniors/Juniors I thought the D would allow a few too many points themselves. Some of the kids starting on D were projected to be 2nd or 3rd string at best in my view. Clearly I was wrong but glad I was. This defense as asserted itself as a key factor and during some games, Powell & Central took the lead. They bent but never, never broke. I mean those two teams could very well have been where we are right now.

Melrose will score but I don't think they can hang enough points on the Maryville D to out pace the Maryville O! Hope I'm not wrong again, once a year is my limit!

Edited by FBEmeritus

First off, the St. Louis newpaper is the Post-Dispatch and can be found at www.stltoday.com. I've never been outside of the Cards page, so I can't tell you what it has on high school football.

Second, I think Maryville will win, but I am expecting a great game. My reasoning for thinking this is that I think the diference between the two offenses is greater than the differences between the two defenses. Melrose has an excellent defense, but Maryville's is also very good. However, Maryville's offense is probably more dominant over Melrose's offense than Melrose's defense is over Maryville's. Does that make sense?

Nonetheless, I expect a great game. I expect it to be the best of all 5 games. if not for that pesky SEC title game in Atlanta I would be there!