West Tn Football=WEAK? Is it?

paintc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You put any team you want from West Tenn. up against Maryville, Riverdale, or Alcoa and you will get beat. It is simple the tallent is just that much better. Alcoa could have taken the 3A crown this year-easy. East Tennessee is just better and everybody knows it.

Go Alcoa 2004 2A State Champs!!!

No. Aggreed the west tn D-I football may have not have been great this past year or the past couple. But then again if you look at as a whole then thats just stupid. You put Maryville, Riverdale, or Alcoa against a D-II AAA team like MUS, and see what happens. (all three gold balls for D-II came home to Memphis this past year.)

You and I will just have to agree to disagree...as far as watching teams across the state I daresay I have seen many more than you....I have been around just a little longer than you....like about 20 years or so and have watched both Middle and West tn ball and I stick to my guns about this...there is not a Riverdale, Maryville, or Lipscomb in West TN and never will be....because overall competition week to week is greater...its not because the talent is not there its because the talent is more evenly divided between all teams....

I actually agree with you even though Maryville is in the east. The reason is that if you compare gold balls, it only takes one outstanding team in each classification to make it appear uneven. Maryville has been to state 6 times in 8 years now. The two years they didn't go, Central and MoWest went and got beat. Central by Memphis East (i think?) and MoWest by Hillsboro. Melrose showed that Maryville was not above their level. It was a close game, but Maryville pulled it out. I dont think any one region has a monopoly on week to week strength either. Reg 3 4A is tough. If by a fluke, Tennessee High had got past Maryville, they would have gotten drilled.

No. Aggreed the west tn D-I football may have not have been great this past year or the past couple. But then again if you look at as a whole then thats just stupid. You put Maryville, Riverdale, or Alcoa against a D-II AAA team like MUS, and see what happens. (all three gold balls for D-II came home to Memphis this past year.)

No way! Maryville or Riverdale, maybe even alcoa could take it to the DII champs. Riverdale was stacked, Maryville is talented and well coached. There's been some years where DII had better teams, recently MBA, some of the Brentwood Aca. of past years. But its not a golden truth of Tennessee Football that the privates are always better than the publics.

No way!  Maryville or Riverdale, maybe even alcoa could take it to the DII champs.  Riverdale was stacked, Maryville is talented and well coached.  There's been some years where DII had better teams, recently MBA, some of the Brentwood Aca. of past years.  But its not a golden truth of Tennessee Football that the privates are always better than the publics.

825475680[/snapback]

Tell me one thing... who is ranked number 1 in the power rankings in the state right now? and by a general opinnion on this board, many ppl happpen to pick MUS to better than Maryville-- and thats coming from ppl seeing both teams play.. face it, private schools can bring it..

Dont worry about it Maryville fans believe they are God's gift to football and they can beat any team in the world. It would nice for them to schedule a Div. II team and see how they fare.

825476545[/snapback]

hehehe , you really are obsessed with Maryville , arn't you ?? btw , 2 of our state championships ( teams i was lucky enough to be on ) were against Brentwood academy . i thought i'd share a little history of Maryville since you've become so concerned about us .

God's gift huh ?? maybe you should pray for all of us heathen Maryville fans some more !! :lol:

Edited by pepvol

Lets look at the last times West Tennessee teams have won a gold ball in the 5 classifications.

1a- Bruceton Central (1989) 1 winner in 15 years

2a- Huntingdon (2003) 2 winners in 10 years

3a- Ridgeway (2002) 4 winners in 10 years

4a- Memphis East (1999) 1 winner in 10 years

5a- Germantown (2003) 1 winner in 10 years

The only division the West has had any success in is 3a in the past ten years. The west has 9 titles in 55 chances. So I would say they are the weakest of the three regions of Tennessee.

825468993[/snapback]

Don't leave Milan out of 2A or 3A... They won a 2A title, then, they took a 3A title. the next year. I wouldn't say weak.

I played in Memphis against Memphis and West TN opponents, and in the past two years have seen several games in middle and east TN.

The West isn't weak in 5-A, 4-A, or D-2, but the lower classification teams, especially in the city are suffering from the poor funding that is hurting the entire school system.

But besides Maryville and Riverdale I haven't seen tougher competition than the West. Equal, but not tougher.

I'm still dreaming of the day that playoff games involve more cross state match-ups instead of playing the same people in the first three rounds every year.

This would be the only way to gauge the tougher regions overall, instead of the who has the top teams.

By the way, the D-2 programs in Memphis more than make up for the weakness elsewhere in the West.