All-State List

FBEmeritus

The Tennessee Football Coaches Association has selected its 2004 All-State football teams. Normally I don't comment on things like this but reading these lists, I got to say Bull!

I don't think there was one kid on the 4A list from West TN, and I can easily say there are loads of kids who are better then the kids on this list. Two kids from Knox Central? What a joke this is! I would like to see the list of coaches in attendance during this event!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tennessee Football Coaches Association has selected its 2004 All-State football teams. Normally I don't comment on things like this but reading these lists, I got to say Bull! 

I don't think there was one kid on the 4A list from West TN, and I can easily say there are loads of kids who are better then the kids on this list.  Two kids from Knox Central?  What a joke this is!  I would like to see the list of coaches in attendance during this event!

825482816[/snapback]

Went through this last year.....The team is selected by the coaches. If your favorite West TN player isn't on the list...then go cuss your current coach for not showing up thursday night before the champ games and putting their names and numbers out there.

This is a complete load. The 2 most dominating teams in 4A, Maryville and Melrose. No all-state players. 3A state champ fulton, no players. 5A state champ Riverdale, no players. Something seems wrong when even the Mr. Football award winners arent even on this list. If they are going to make a mockery called the all state list, at least have the better players on it. I'm sorry, but carter and halls don't have anyone that should be all state

Went through this last year.....The team is selected by the coaches. If your favorite West TN player isn't on the list...then go cuss your current coach for not showing up thursday night before the champ games and putting their names and numbers out there.

825482823[/snapback]

I say they should do away with this coaches all-state team if they can only get a few of the coaches around the state to vote. Its pointless if all the coaches from the top teams don't nominate their top players.

Yeah whoever voted on this was obviously not in their right state of mind that day. I dont understand their resoning for not selecting Fullilove of Melrose, Hardy (their linebacker who won Mr. Football with 150+ something tackles), or Maryville's Cade Thompson a Mr. Football winner. This list is a joke. The comittee should just be dismantled if they are going to put crap out their like this.

Yeah whoever voted on this was obviously not in their right state of mind that day.  I dont understand their resoning for not selecting Fullilove of Melrose, Hardy (their linebacker who won Mr. Football with 150+ something tackles), or Maryville's Cade Thompson a Mr. Football winner.  This list is a joke.  The comittee should just be dismantled if they are going to put crap out their like this.

825482959[/snapback]

well, its not up to a committee. A players high school coach must nominate him for him to be elegible. Maryville, Melrose, and Riverdale's coaches I am sure just did not nominate their players. Thats why its pointless to even have the Coaches All State team

For the schools like Maryville, Melrose, Riverdale... think about it like this- your team has no players because your coaches were preparing for the best weekend of the season. Makes it easier for me as a Franklin fan to handle it... we had no one there since they were busy trying to get ready for a state championship game. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm going to try to defend the Tennessee Football Coaches Association, not because I am a member, but because I get tired of hearing this crap every year from people who don't understand the process... so here goes:

1. NOT EVERY HEAD FOOTBALL COACH IN THE STATE IS A MEMBER OF THE ASSOCIATION! Just ask them if they belong to it and see before you start complaining about the list!

2. My guess is the 10 teams playing in the Blue Cross Bowl had other things on their mind, other than voting on players. They could have faxed in their list to the association but failed to do so for whatever reason.

3. Every coach there is going to nominate and vote for his kids and the kids he knows something about. I will never vote for someone I don't know or haven't heard something about from another coach!

4. I didn't go to the meeting this year for family reasons but I know that there are hundreds of coaches who don't go, even though they belong to the organization. It is their fault if their kids don't make the team! It's not the job of every head coach or assistant coach to think of your kids and throw their name into the hat. If they get nominated by your coaches, we will vote for them, if not... OH WELL!

We went through this same thing last year and the year before that. I guess what some of you would like is for no one to make the team if your favorite boy doesn't get the credit you feel he deserves! We are all sorry that not all the coaches participate... but we can't force them to do so!

SIDE NOTE TO COACHES: Two years ago I went for the first time, I won a TV and a T-shirt just for showing up! Join us as we try to make things better for high school football across the state!

I'm not mad about the negative comments but I do wish all of you who feel slighted would complain to your head coach and not to the association in general. Down the road, this organization is going to be great for our sport and for the coaches in general!

I'm going to try to defend the Tennessee Football Coaches Association, not because I am a member, but because I get tired of hearing this crap every year from people who don't understand the process... so here goes:

1. NOT EVERY HEAD FOOTBALL COACH IN THE STATE IS A MEMBER OF THE ASSOCIATION!  Just ask them if they belong to it and see before you start complaining about the list!

2. My guess is the 10 teams playing in the Blue Cross Bowl had other things on their mind, other than voting on players. They could have faxed in their list to the association but failed to do so for whatever reason.

3. Every coach there is going to nominate and vote for his kids and the kids he knows something about. I will never vote for someone I don't know or haven't heard something about from another coach!

4. I didn't go to the meeting this year for family reasons but I know that there are hundreds of coaches who don't go, even though they belong to the organization. It is their fault if their kids don't make the team! It's not the job of every head coach or assistant coach to think of your kids and throw their name into the hat. If they get nominated by your coaches, we will vote for them, if not... OH WELL!

We went through this same thing last year and the year before that. I guess what some of you would like is for no one to make the team if your favorite boy doesn't get the credit you feel he deserves!  We are all sorry that not all the coaches participate... but we can't force them to do so!

SIDE NOTE TO COACHES:  Two years ago I went for the first time, I won a TV and a T-shirt just for showing up!  Join us as we try to make things better for high school football across the state!

I'm not mad about the negative comments but I do wish all of you who feel slighted would complain to your head coach and not to the association in general. Down the road, this organization is going to be great for our sport and for the coaches in general!

825483009[/snapback]

Very well said.

1. NOT EVERY HEAD FOOTBALL COACH IN THE STATE IS A MEMBER OF THE ASSOCIATION!  Just ask them if they belong to it and see before you start complaining about the list!

We went through this same thing last year and the year before that. I guess what some of you would like is for no one to make the team if your favorite boy doesn't get the credit you feel he deserves!  We are all sorry that not all the coaches participate... but we can't force them to do so!

SIDE NOTE TO COACHES:  Two years ago I went for the first time, I won a TV and a T-shirt just for showing up!  Join us as we try to make things better for high school football across the state!

825483009[/snapback]

Thank you for the informative post.

Why is it that coaches seem so fragmented (not on the same page?)

When it comes to getting kids recruited and putting kids on all-county/midstate/state teams it seems that there are those that are in the know and those that are not. Now I know that coaches put in 90 hour weeks and there is just so much time and there are coaches with more experience and better connections but I would love to see steps taken to mandate that all of these things are handled equally and that coaches must certify that they have done certain things and provided players and parents with equal opportunities.

For instance why doesn't TSSAA make a schedule of camps and or clinics available to players. Yes, many are by invitation only, but many are not. Why aren't registered players given a schedule of voting so they could remind a coach , "Hey how about voting for me".

All of the communication seems to be between the TSSAA and the AD or the coaches and it never seems to filter down to the people it affects for any of a ggreat number of reasons!

Your thoughts?

I have spent almost all of my adult life in this business and I can tell you why it doesn't always happen! This time of year many coaches are looking for next years job! Others don't even know how to use a fax or E-mail! Still others just don't care to go the extra mile to promote their kids beyond the required region lists. If your head coach doesn't try to promote your kids then ask the right questions, find out why he didn't go to the meetings and do something about it. Pay for his gas and hotel or at least help him out if that's the reason he didn't attend. I have known many head coaches who just don't want to participate in these sorts of things!