Don't let the TSSAA get away with this one

WriteStuff

This one is for the kids.....let's not let the TSSAA steal "dream" seasons away from our youth. There's already enough reason for them to stay out of athletics (PlayStation, Malls, Boys, Girls, Drugs, TV, Movies, etc...). Let's keep one thing that makes them want to keep playing: The dream of reaching the state basketball tournament.

Contact Ronnie Carter at rcarter@tssaa.org; Gene Menees at gmenees@tssaa.org; Bernard Childress at bchildress@tssaa.org; or if you know any of the Board of Control members -- their names are listed in the following story -- contact them by fax or e-mail. It's time to stand up against the TSSAA.

The following article appeared in the Johnson City Press on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2005:

Prep Basketball - TSSAA plan would ruin state tourney

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just like the T$$AA to do.....first in football they create regions that will cause teams to travel 3 hours one-way in some cases but because of good football attendance keeps a playoff system that allows some 4-6 teams in the play-offs while keeping some 8-2 teams out... :D and now because it's not "cost effective" (which in reality means that it will limit the amount of times Carter & Co. get to eat out at expensive restaurants and have unlimited expense accounts :rolleyes: )and may be a "burden" on some schools expenses, they are going rob alot of students of an amazing experience and the pride in being able to say they were in the state tourney....now does that sound like an organization that is concerned about whether or not schools can afford it? that's what the Rebound club and such are for...but then again maybe they won't be able to afford it after their travel expenses and loss of ticket revenue from football season suks the school's athletic expense allotment dry....well I guess the T$$AA strikes again....I wonder how they are going to screw over the Baseball/Softball season?...I'm sure they'll come up with something :D:(

This is just like the T$$AA to do.....first in football they create regions that will cause teams to travel 3 hours one-way in some cases but because of good football attendance keeps a playoff system that allows some 4-6 teams in the play-offs while keeping some 8-2 teams out... :D and now because it's not "cost effective" (which in reality means that it will limit the amount of times Carter & Co. get to eat out at expensive restaurants and have unlimited expense accounts :rolleyes: )and may be a "burden" on some schools expenses, they are going rob alot of students of an amazing experience and the pride in being able to say they were in the state tourney....now does that sound like an organization that is concerned about whether or not schools can afford it? that's what the Rebound club and such are for...but then again maybe they won't be able to afford it after their travel expenses and loss of ticket revenue from football season suks the school's athletic expense allotment dry....well I guess the T$$AA strikes again....I wonder how they are going to screw over the Baseball/Softball season?...I'm sure they'll come up with something :D  :(

825508910[/snapback]

WELL SAID!

Here is one more idea if tssaa approves this how about high schools that disagree drop out of the tssaa you dont have to be a member and if enough drop out start another tssaa and call it what you like and manage it for kids not adults non-profit and keep these 150,000.00 dollar a year salarys out of it. Get some old retired Coaches that want to it for the kids and maybe still make a few dollars. I dont know all the answers thats for sure but I do know it should be for the kids and as many as possible.

You all act like the TSSAA is like the mafia. Yes this is about money...isn't everything about money? But they are keeping the kids interest at heart because they are trying to keep down the amount of money the member schools have to pay to be in the TSSAA thereby saving schools money to spend on other things their school needs...which, if I'm not mistaken, does help the kids. Remember, the TSSAA is not some private company, it is controlled by the member schools...much like the NFL or MLB. Ronnie Carter, Gene Menees, etc don't make the decisions, the board of control does....which is made up of public school administrators. Schools make the decisions, not the TSSAA directors. Their jobs are to implement whatever rules that the legislative council and board of control pass. As for the salaries, I think they probably deserve and earn the money that they make...especially after listening to all the complaining by you guys. Imagine what they here on a daily basis from the many coaches from the many member schools Look, I don't like the new state tournament system, but to make villains out of the people who are trying to do what schools want...please. Ask me if you would want a job trying to please schools of anywhere from 40-2500 students...schools that are public, private but don't give aid, and private that do give aid...schools that have to drive 2 hours to get to state or 7 hours to get to state tournaments...schools that want to change districts....schools that want an equal playing field...schools that want the TSSAA to spend more money and some that want the TSSAA to spend less money....coaches that want this system for football and this system for baseball...some schools from rich areas that can afford more and some from poor areas that can not afford much...talk about diversity. And they do the best they can with what they are given, simply trying to find some middle ground. Again I remind you,although they make suggestions, they don't make the rules...they just enforce those that the boards vote to have put in place.

And the newspaper article- uninformed, biased, shotty journalism at best. Why contact the guys who don't make the decisions?????? How about doing an article on the members of the board of control????

Oh, and DUH starting the season a week earlier would involve problems with fall sports...DUH

Edited by HickoryHusker

You all act like the TSSAA is like the mafia.  Yes this is about money...isn't everything about money?  But they are keeping the kids interest at heart because they are trying to keep down the amount of money the member schools have to pay to be in the TSSAA thereby saving schools money to spend on other things their school needs...which, if I'm not mistaken, does help the kids.  Remember, the TSSAA is not some private company, it is controlled by the member schools...much like the NFL or MLB.  Ronnie Carter, Gene Menees, etc don't make the decisions, the board of control does....which is made up of public school administrators.  Schools make the decisions, not the TSSAA directors.  Their jobs are to implement whatever rules that the legislative council and board of control pass.  As for the salaries, I think they probably deserve and earn the money that they make...especially after listening to all the complaining by you guys.  Imagine what they here on a daily basis from the many coaches from the many member schools  Look, I don't like the new state tournament system, but to make villains out of the people who are trying to do what schools want...please.  Ask me if you would want a job trying to please schools of anywhere from 40-2500 students...schools that are public, private but don't give aid, and private that do give aid...schools that have to drive 2 hours to get to state or 7 hours to get to state tournaments...schools that want to change districts....schools that want an equal playing field...schools that want the TSSAA to spend more money and some that want the TSSAA to spend less money....coaches that want this system for football and this system for baseball...some schools from rich areas that can afford more and some from poor areas that can not afford much...talk about diversity.  And they do the best they can with what they are given, simply trying to find some middle ground.  Again I remind you,although they make suggestions, they don't make the rules...they just enforce those that the boards vote to have put in place. 

And the newspaper article- uninformed, biased, shotty journalism at best.  Why contact the guys who don't make the decisions??????  How about doing an article on the members of the board of control????

Oh, and DUH starting the season a week earlier would involve problems with fall sports...DUH

825508955[/snapback]

And Ronnie C. said "Black these boots HickoryHusker, you little sycophant."

And it was done. Immediately.

I thought the article was smack-dab on target. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have to say I agree with Hickory Husker on this one. The Board of Control makes the decisions. Hence the name, BOARD OF CONTROL. You guys talk big on here, but you don't have a clue. If you knew Ronnie Carter, Gene Menees, Benard Childress,etc. personally, you would have a different opinion. They don't make $150ger a year and wear $1K suits. They enforce whatever the PUBLIC SCHOOL administrators decide.

I personally don't like the proposed new format. I go to both the girls and boys state tournament every year and I love watching high school basketball. I love seeing all the teams from across the state that you hear about but don't get to see live b/c of geographical distances. There's only one other place I'd rather be in March, the Final Four.

I have to say I agree with Hickory Husker on this one.  The Board of Control makes the decisions. Hence the name, BOARD OF CONTROL.  You guys talk big on here, but you don't have a clue. If you knew Ronnie Carter, Gene Menees, Benard Childress,etc.  personally, you would have a different opinion. They don't make $150ger a year and wear $1K suits. They enforce whatever the PUBLIC SCHOOL administrators decide. 

I personally don't like the proposed new format. I go to both the girls and boys state tournament every year and I love watching high school basketball. I love seeing all the teams from across the state that you hear about but don't get to see live b/c of geographical distances. There's only one other place I'd rather be in March, the Final Four.

825508985[/snapback]

Well, its good to have the DCA perspective. I can kinda see why the privates like it.

Edited by salty

The Board of Control is elected by member schools and coaches. If they decide to shorten the state tournament to four teams at the final site then they do so because that is what the majority of schools in their BOC region have told them they want. It will have nothing to do with the TSSAA staff.

It is possible to still have the same, or more, teams participate in the state tournament by having part of the tournament at local venues (perhaps in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis or Jackson) and then bring the final four together at one site (perhaps MTSU) for the semis and finals. Personally I like the format fine the way it is now. However, if it is changed it will be by decision of the Board of Control which is elected by member schools and coaches. Therefore, either contact your BOC member yourself or have your athletic director or principal do so.