Have Know it all fans ruined HS basketball!

Onaroll

Bad refs are a part of high school basketball... They have always been around and they always will be... there is no way to have a "perfect" ref... but as far as ruining high school basketball, I dont think the refs or the fans have ruined HS Bball...Games are more fun now than they have ever been

825514148[/snapback]

I agree with you totally...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know it all fans havent ruined the sport of basketball.  Obnoxious Parents are one of the biggest downfalls to the sport of the Game.  Parents screaming at their on Coaches and the referes at the same time.  I had to do a game about a month ago and the entire game a mother was screaming walk when they double dribbled or hold when it was blocking, keeping up with her on stats throughout the entire game.  She then proceeds to go to the scorers table at half time and go through the scorebook while the scorekeeper was away....

I have to go to many games around the state and I must say this is a troubling trend that seems to be on the increase.....  Parents put their kids up on a pedastal and before long the kids carry their parents attitudes and behavior mannerisms over onto the court....  In the long run if the kid is a college prospect their chances of getting a scholarship is seriously damaged because of the parents and the players attitudes... Because this is one of the first bits of information that a recruiter determines.... And believe me, I know this more than most people would...

Not all Ref's are the same but for the most part there are some very good ones out there....

825514528[/snapback]

Amen. I'm neither a coach nor a ref but I've even had a parent come up to me and complain about their kid's playing time or whatnot as if there was something I could do about it. It's crazy

Edited by Pantherbert

Muffin you are so stupid!  Have you got it narrowed down yet?..lol...You have no idea who I am.....but I have news for you I know alot about you.... I know about the little fiasco with your son and the coach that you tried unsuccessfully to get fired at RBS.

825514777[/snapback]

Think I got you narrowed down to two counties,which one are you living in now,I was in one of them yesterday,As far as my son leave him out of it,as for you being a ref,you are getting closer to saying yes all the time. Speak up do not be ashamed,as far as me and my little fiasco,that is common knowledge ,everyone knows about that,and guess what I,M not done yet.

Listen guys, I don't know or care why you two are at each other's throats but please take this elsewhere. Don't get this thread locked down on ruined for everybody else. Thanks

825514898[/snapback]

Your right Pantherbert, I'm done with muffin.... I lost my temper when she started calling me names and I shouldn't have. I apologize for sinking to her level and I hope the moderators don't shut the thread down.

Edited by Onaroll

I am not a ref because I understand how hard it is to officiate. Everyone makes mistakes, but refs are not forgiven for their mistakes from fans, and yes sometimes coaches keep grudges. I am a coach and continue to grow in trying to keep an objective mind about the sport I love and all that surrounds it. There are good and bad fans, ref, coaches and players. When everyone stops striving to be the best and most honest at what they do, then there becomes a major problem. The only problem I see with refs (very few) is when a ref has opinions about a coach, school, county, or city that fogs his brain to keep an unbiased mind in calling games, because the kids just play the game for the fun of it, at least that's what it should be about. So, actually, this thread is meaningless, just as the other thread started about refs. WE are all to blame for any failures of TSSAA basketball, coaches, fans, players, and refs. WE could all do a better job of role modelling and sharpen our leadership skills. I asked our team yesterday if they knew what a leader does. A LEADER is a server. My question: Have us leaders (coaches, refs, and fans) served the game of basketball the way it should be served; and what kind of example do WE as leaders (coaches, refs, and fans) set for players and under-adult-aged fans attending the games? GOD Bless!!!

;)

I have attampted to stay off this thread - but can not hold back:

Fan's, coaches, ref's, and players all push the limit at times. Ironically, the players get fouls called for it - or tossed from the game, coaches get T'd up or tossed, fan's get tossed, yet the Ref's are pretty much unscathed for their errors.

I beieve that is where the frustration rolls in. However, I do not believe it is ruining the game.

I am an official, in another sport, and I agree the Ref's need to develop a thicker skin than most. Not to the piont of being abused, but can't have Rabbit Ears either.

But as an official, I feel I can comment on a growing trend I have seen lately. It appears as though calls are beginning to become more prevelant based on the Scoreboard rather than what is actually happening on the court. This is what tends to upset most fans, the lack of consistency at both ends of the court.

as a huge fan of basketball for a very long time, i have been around all types of refs. Yes, some refs officiate with a very large chip on their shoulder toward a player, coach, or team. but the majority of referees do not officiate like this. everyone is going to be mad at a ref when he calls a foul that you dont think is a foul. this has always been, and always will be. i hold nothing against referees, they make mistakes, they make bad calls, thats part of the game...deal with it..

It has been my experience that many fans consider it a lack of consistency when the calls don't "always" go thier teams way........ that is what gets me......

To say that refs are unscathed by their errors is just wrong..... If a ref gets the reputation of not calling good games he doesn't get assigned games...... not to mention puting up with all the B.S. they take from the fans because they are not being "consistent."

You people know the kind of person I'm talking about...... the ones that complain about the calls when it is clear that the right call is made....... these to me are the ones that have ruined the games...... I rarely go to basketball games anymore for this very reason. I can't stand to see people scream and cuss at the officials when 90% of their calls are the correct calls.

Lets get honest here guys. When my team wins, I don't usually credit the officials with having an impact on the outcome, but when they lose, the officials in my opinion were often the deciding factor. I see things from my own perspective, and that is not always the way they are, or at least that's the opinion of the fans on the other side of the gym. ;)

Don't get me wrong - I am not taking sides with fans - and placing blame on officials. Both have an equal share in my mind.

I am concerned about scoreboard calls however. I was at the Franklin Centennial tilt last friday night, and the officials were horrible - both ways.

What became apparent however, was that as the game was getting one sided on the scoreboard - ticky tack fouls were called on the team on the right side of the score. The same foul occurring at the other end, and in a few cases near mugging, went uncalled.

As the game went on, the officials were calling things - no one saw! Both ways.

The game was too fast for these three, and before you knew it 48 fouls were called in the game! This does not account for the countless travels and lane violations.....