Can Oliver Springs girls be beat?

statman2

I find it amusing the number of posts that discount last year's Oliver Springs loss in the championship at Caton's Chapel.

No doubt OS had and has one of the best middle school teams I have ever seen. Especially the guard who rained 3's out of the sky in the championship game like there was nothing to it.

But OS got beat by a great group of girls from Rogersville who put their own undefeated season together based on unmatched defensive basketball and fiercely disciplined board work.

Early in last year's sectional tournament a fan from area 4 quipped that "if we were there for the girl's tournament, we were playing for second, because OS couldn't be beat". That served as wonderful fuel for the eventual championship that Rogersville EARNED!

The Rogersville girls are coming back to Caton's Chapel as the number 1 seed from area 1. They aren't sporting the talent heavy undefeated team from last year, but they come with a lot of heart.

This should be a lot of fun!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it amusing the number of posts that discount last year's Oliver Springs loss in the championship at Caton's Chapel.

No doubt OS had and has one of the best middle school teams I have ever seen.  Especially the guard who rained 3's out of the sky in the championship game like there was nothing to it.

But OS got beat by a great group of girls from Rogersville who put their own undefeated season together based on unmatched defensive basketball and fiercely disciplined board work.

Early in last year's sectional tournament a fan from area 4 quipped that "if we were there for the girl's tournament, we were playing for second, because OS couldn't be beat".  That served as wonderful fuel for the eventual championship that Rogersville EARNED!

The Rogersville girls are coming back to Caton's Chapel as the number 1 seed from area 1.  They aren't sporting the talent heavy undefeated team from last year, but they come with a lot of heart.

This should be a lot of fun!

825561414[/snapback]

Statman,

I know Rogersville went undefeated last year. Was OS undefeated going into the championship game last year? I can't remember.

It's hard to believe that OS might be stronger than last year, but it seems they always have great players coming into the program each year that give them their perennial powerhouse status. The thing I like about OS is they are classy. There isn't a lot cheap talk from the coaches or players; they just go out and get the job done.

With OSHS dropping back to 1A and into the same district with Oneida, these eighth graders are going to see each other for next 4 years fighting for district standings and tournament titles. There were several years back in the late 80s and early 90s when Oneida girls basketball was almost guaranteed a regional and sub-state tourney birth. Oneida HS still has a lot of talent, but the competition is there and is going to get stronger with OS moving down.

Should OS and Oneida win their quarterfinal games and meet in the semis at CAtons Chapel next week, we can all get a glimpse of what the next four years might look like. Oneida played OS tough in the semis last year and maybe wore the Lady Bobcats down enough to help Rogersville. However, Rogersville was tough and played great ball, but this year is going to be just as interesting. This should be a lot of fun to watch.

Is anyone willing to make predictions about an Oneida v. OS matchup in the semis? Come on!! Someone step on a limb and get some lockerroom fodder rolling to fire these ladies up. Of course, they probably don't need it. This is the makings of a great rivalry.

Honestly, I would love to give a prediction for the SEMIs, but...each TEAM has a quarterfinal game to play first. At this level, I learned the hard way, you must take things one contest at a time. I'm sure both coaches--Bilyeu & Newport--are much more worried about Univ School & Wearwood right than each other!!

But...having seen both teams play, I will be back with predictions, when (or if) the time is right!! :D

Jeffers,

I was told OS had won 43 straight ballgames before the loss in the championship last year. It appears that they are 20 - 0 this year.

Losing one game in 64 over three years.....WOW!!!! It's easy to understand how people might consider the championship game last year a fluke. I just happen to know the Rogersville ball players well, and trust me, it was no fluke. That group of girls are impact players already on an improving Cherokee High school program.

Our girls knew exactly what they were facing last year. They had met up with the Christopher girl during summer tournament ball from 10U years.

Like I said. This is an entirely different team at Rogersville this year, but they have a lot of heart and are looking forward to playing at Caton's Chapel.

OS actually just had a 40 game winning streak when Rogersville beat them. This year they are 20-0.

I don't know if they are not as good, as good, or better than last year. All I know is they play hard from beginning to end. Even when they lost to Rogersville last year, it wasn't from a lack of effort but rather a lack of execution.

The one thing that could hurt them is the fact that they have only been in one close game this year and that was an OT victory over Robertsville. And even in that game not every starter got to experience the toghness of a close game because some players had the flu. It will be interesting to see how they react in a close game.

Oneida Girls are very good. They have a nice team. Oliver Springs has a very good team also. I think the game if it were to happen would finish with OS on top.

The score would probably be something like 38-28. I would take OS by 10. The Christopher girl is just too good and OS will really hurt Oneida's press if they try it. The Indians could do some things to make up the 10 pts, but I doubt it.

This may turn out to be an odd fluke of events. If OS and Oneida Middle Schools play on Thursday, they will be playing the same night as the high school teams play. OS and Oneida High Schools have rescheduled their regular season game for Thursday night!! An interesting evening, and a preview for the next 4 years in that district!!

Statman,

I agree that the champioinship was NOT a fluke for Rogersville. I watched them in the quarters and semis and knew they could ball. It is an awesome feat that OS has put this run together over the past three or four years in middle school ball. I used to think that the runs of Shelbyville, Clarkrange, et.al. were incredible. I wish there was a simple formula to get a program on a track that OS has going.

Thanks for the info.

Honestly, I would love to give a prediction for the SEMIs, but...each TEAM has a quarterfinal game to play first. At this level, I learned the hard way, you must take things one contest at a time. I'm sure both coaches--Bilyeu & Newport--are much more worried about Univ School & Wearwood right than each other!!

But...having seen both teams play, I will be back with predictions, when (or if) the time is right!!  ;)

825564565[/snapback]

Answer,

Believe me!!! I know the Oneida v. OS semis is not a sure thing. I was just curious about what you thought if that matchup played out. But, you're right, there will be time for that if those two do meet.

I, for one, have bought into Coach Bilyeu's philosophy of coaching: HARD WORK!!

He and his players work (and work tirelessly) at being "great" players and teammates year round. There is no "easy" solution or simple way to get where Coach Bilyeu and his players are right now. But...if your willing to pay the price, then....

Over the past two years, I have bought into that with my football guys. If you think we're not busy preparing for next August already, then.....keep thinking my friends.

If you want to climb the mountain of success: WORK at it!! When kids are going home after school--in the spring, playing video games or getting on the computer, spending time with friends, or laying around by the pool or in the cool air, get your rear end to the gym or on the court (or field) to practice at what you strive to do best. Hard work WILL pay off.

OS will be talented again next year, but....it will be hard to find someone as willing as Coach Bilyeu to work the girls as hard as he has on their way to "success."

I look forward to watching the Oliver springs vs. Onedia game. They are both good teams and i'm sure that both will be trying there hardest and i'm pretty sure it will be a good game to watch. Last years defeat was a sad loss for oliver springs but both teams rogersville and oliver springs played there hardest but oliver springs just didn't have to beat them. So i'm intrested to see how it turns out between onedia and oliver springs thursday night at 8:45.

Edited by Bballgurl032