TMSAA East (Small School) Sectional...

TheAnswer9

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of 3 divisions as well. It would be better for everybody involved. However, if we cannot get 3 divisions the TMSAA needs to set numbers that are a cut-off from small to large school. It should not be in the hands of each area to vote to move schools from one division to another. I truly believe that 3 divisions would make it much more fair! But...sometimes the TSSAA isn't worried about fair!

Three divisions would bring harmony to all of us malcontents in AII. The middle division sectional could also play in a centrally located place in East Tennesee in the same time as the small and large tournaments. These divisions do need to have parameters in place to make things as equal as possible. If you go into this crusade all gung-ho, somebody will get shafted. Travel logistics need to be considered, and no team should have to be on the road for longer than an hour.(these are Jr. High kids) The thing is everybody has a legitmate gripe, large schools aren't relishing the prospect of having a significantly smaller school upset them, nor does beating that team benefit them very much either. Small schools that think Oliver Springs, Oneida, Norwood, Wartburg, Sunbright, Lake City, Coalfield, Harriman, Oakdale etc. should be pushed up, are wanting to move these teams into a non-competative situation. I mean, all these schools basically feed Single A High Schools, they are not large by general standards. Be thankful that right now we, at least, have two divisions. At least in our present situation we don't have to pull off the equivalent of a modern day Hoosiers.(6-A Central High played the Indiana State Championship against 1A Hickory) That was a 4,200 student body(9-12) against 210 student body(9-12) HICKORY WON! Right now the difference in our numbers in AII is 21(Winfield) and 99(Oneida) No system is perfect, so there will be problems with anything new, too. Three divisions sounds like the best idea, though. thumb Kaz thumb

You know, I went back and reread BobbyB's post, and the NCAA Tournament has merit because the teams that are seeded in that tournament are placed according to information from regular season and conference tournament success.  The reason why there is so little arguement about seeding in that tournament is because a committee reviews information concerning the teams successes throughout the season to determine what teams have merited a stronger seeding in a particular bracket.  Last year the two strongest teams were on opposite sides of the bracket, so there was nothing wrong with the current format.  This year, the two strongest teams, based on overall record/conference tournament play, should have been split to opposite sides of the bracket.  If you have three teams with comparative success, then the bracket should remain the same so as not to intentionally give one team or another an advantage.  And just so you don't think I'm saying throw some other team to the wolves(OS), it would have been most appropriate for Oneida to again face Wartburg for the right to play OS.  In a lot of ways, its somewhat unfair for a great team like Oliver Springs to have to play such a tough semi-final just to reach the championship game.  Last year they were pushed hard in the semi's, and it may have factored into their championship performance.

thumb Food for thought, Kaz thumb

825579475[/snapback]

Once again KAZ....Oliver Springs was beaten last year by a great team...you should stop discounting Rogersville's championship.

Statman, you didn't read my post correctly.  I said last year the format worked because the two most successful teams were at opposite sides of the bracket, meaning Oliver Springs AND ROGERSVILLE. I didn't discount Rogersville at all.

thumb Kaz thumb

825583080[/snapback]

It's the suggestion that Oneida pushing OS in the semi's "may have been a factor in the championship".

BULL!

Stat2, don't take an honest observation and run with it. I feel Rogersville fully earned their championship last season. Not only were they a great team(undefeated), but they beat a great team as well. I do think that OS had a tougher semi last year than Rogersville, and in a game that pushes you physically and emotionally, sometimes that can effect a teams performance with only one day to rest. No disrespect to your team, who won the thing, just food for thought.

thumb Kaz thumb