USJ recruiting rumors?

BrettDawson

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I do not understand is the arrogance. If the TSSAA told him to stop giving the player rides, why did it continue? Did Coach Dyer think he really did not have to follow the TSSAA directions? It sounds like the situation could have been avoided if he would have stopped giving the rides when the TSSAA told him to stop. Now, it is sort of like he is getting what he deserves since they gave him the chance to stop. That is just how I see it. I am not a TSSAA fan, but I think if they tell you to stop, you should probably follow that direction!

How can the TSSAA tell someone that they're not doing anything wrong, but they have to stop what they're doing anyway? That just does not seem right. When I played football at a public school coaches gave players rides home from school every day. If this situation had been a public school coach giving a ride home, then nothing would have been said or done by the TSSAA. Private school coaches have just as much of a right to give kids rides as public schools do. Lose the favoritism, TSSAA.

Edited by KublahKD

What I do not understand is the arrogance.  If the TSSAA told him to stop giving the player rides, why did it continue?  Did Coach Dyer think he really did not have to follow the TSSAA directions?  It sounds like the situation could have been avoided if he would have stopped giving the rides when the TSSAA told him to stop.  Now, it is sort of like he is getting what he deserves since they gave him the chance to stop.  That is just how I see it.  I am not a TSSAA fan, but I think if they tell you to stop, you should probably follow that direction!

825583403[/snapback]

There is a big difference in the TSSAA saying you have broken a rule and giving the player a ride must stop or the TSSAA saying you have not broken a rule but because the perception might not be good either stop giving the player a ride or find other students to also ride. The latter is what happened.

The TSSAA has clearly stated that no rule was being broken. If so, there is no legitimate reason for any kind of sanctions whatsoever. Furthermore, everyone should know that the decision makers @ TSSAA could have a conflict of interest in delaying their decision and/or the final decision they make. Direct relatives just happen to be employed by schools that are among the favorites to compete against USJ for the A State Championship. The further this drags out (when the TSSAA in writing has admitted no infraction has occurred) the more the situation smells.

If USJ is to be punished for not breaking a TSSAA rule, then every other school Private and Public should also recieve the same sanctions. If this happened, there probably would not be a single Head Coach in the State that would not be suspended. At one time or another all Coaches have or will be in a position that they will need to give a player a ride. I know because I am a former coach @ multiple Tennessee high schools. The TSSAA could be on the verge of opening up a huge can of worms. If I were currently coaching in Tennessee I would have some concerns about where the TSSAA is headed.

This situation is not fair to the kids, Coach Dyer or the USJ Program. The only thing being accomplished by the TSSAA delaying putting this to bed is allowing all of USJ's competion to get a competitive advantage.

Edited by necvol

How can the TSSAA tell someone that they're not doing anything wrong, but they have to stop what they're doing anyway?  That just does not seem right.  When I played football at a public school coaches gave players rides home from school every day.  If this situation had been a public school coach giving a ride home, then nothing would have been said or done by the TSSAA.  Private school coaches have just as much of a right to give kids rides as public schools do.  Lose the favoritism, TSSAA.

825583534[/snapback]

There is one difference in taking this kid home and taking a public school kid home. Public school kids live in the same town and have to have a ride if the bus leaves before practice or a game is over. This kid was being tranfered through 2 counties to get home. That is a little different. If the kid can't get a ride to school, then why is he going there? Looks like the coach wanted him there. And that looks like recruiting. That is why the TSSAA told him to stop, in my opinion from reading the story. It looked like recruiting. If a public school coach transported a kid through 2 counties, the same thing would be done, therefore I don't think it was favortism to the public schools.

There is one difference in taking this kid home and taking a public school kid home.  Public school kids live in the same town and have to have a ride if the bus leaves before practice or a game is over.  This kid was being tranfered through 2 counties to get home.  That is a little different.  If the kid can't get a ride to school, then why is he going there?  Looks like the coach wanted him there.  And that looks like recruiting.  That is why the TSSAA told him to stop, in my opinion from reading the story.  It looked like recruiting.  If a public school coach transported a kid through 2 counties, the same thing would be done, therefore I don't think it was favortism to the public schools.

825583560[/snapback]

Coach Dyer was not the Head Coach when The parents made the decision to send their child to USJ>

I agree I don't see the harm in the ride. And I doubt there was any recruiting. I think all these recruiting accusations are always overblown, a kid is going to go where he and his parents deem is the best situation for them.

But again, if he was told to stop by the TSSAA, he should have stopped, whether they were right or wrong. Why give them a reason esp if there is a "conspiracy" to get USJ. And i find it difficult to believe they would say the solution to driving the kid to school was to drive other kids to school too? Makes no sense.

I agree I don't see the harm in the ride.  And I doubt there was any recruiting.  I think all these recruiting accusations are always overblown, a kid is going to go where he and his parents deem is the best situation for them.

But again, if he was told to stop by the TSSAA, he should have stopped, whether they were right or wrong.  Why give them a reason esp if there is a "conspiracy" to get USJ.  And i find it difficult to believe they would say the solution to driving the kid to school was to drive other kids to school too? Makes no sense.

825583613[/snapback]

Makes perfect sense and that was exactly one of the possible solutions discussed. If other students were riding, the "perception of favoritism" would be eliminated. You can believe it or not. It happened and according to a very reliable source, it can be proven that Coach Dyer made legitimate attempts to find other students already attending USJ to carpool from the same area. If in fact attempts were made to get other students to ride, this is yet another reason the issue should be put to bed.

The player in question comes from a family with a strong backing in baseball. His older brother played in Lextington on there state team and he is a very good player hisself. If this player wants to play ball a USJ or any other private school then let him. It's not his fault about the driving issue. let's not point fingers his way.

The TSSAA ask for them to find another way for him to go back and forth. So they have for now and after he turns 16 and can drive hisself what will the ones that notified the TSSAA come up with?

As for recruiting---All schools do it on way or another.

When bosters find out how good players are in all sports they start hounding the parents for them to come to there school.

The point is the parents did make the decision to send their child to USJ and it should be their responsibility to get that child to school and back home. If there is a transportation problem then that should have been thought of before enrolling him in a school two counties away. It is not a coaches responsibility to get students to school and back home unless it is their own child.