SPORTSWRITERS

marchmadness

Still no numbers? I played at Clarkrange and graduated in 2003. I don't know which Cookeville writer you're talking about tex, but I always liked Laytham from down there. He always wrote pretty good about us even though we were from a different county. His stories were always more detailed than our county paper which only wrote by looking at the scorebook. I think any school that has a sportswriter for their team should feel lucky, but I'm from Fentress County so anything other than the score of the game is good to me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For stringer writers, they can make $25-$35 a game.  I've heard $18-$25k / year for sports editing a small paper.  For a bigger paper (say the Jackson Sun), I'd guess mid-thirties.

None of that is a lot of money for a 4 year degreed person who can write, take pictures, and is willing to work odd hours.

825600798[/snapback]

$25-35 a game. :lol:

$18-25 a year. :blink:

I've been doing it for 14 years for a weekly county paper. I started out for $10 a week and a press pass to get in free with. I took pictures and then came in to write cuts for them. 14 years later I'm responsible for almost all the sports in the paper (anything that's not sent in) and it's still a part time job because it doesn't pay enough to be counted as a real job. I do it because I like it. I do it because after all this time I feel like I'm just supposed to. But If I was making $25 a game I would have a much nicer truck instead of a 93 with 275000+ miles on it.

Am I any good? Some days yes and some days I'm sure it could be lots better. I've always been my own worst critic though. But I've taken my fair share of cussings for honest mistakes, dumb mistakes, stands worth taking in an editorial and just somebody that was mad some kid besides theirs got the attention of an article.

But I guarantee you this. It has cost me far more money than I'll ever make. I'd have to make $50k for 5-10 years to get caught up on what I've spent on gas, repairs, food and equipment.

Del (who knows lots of sports writers and knows most of them are NOT in it for the money.)

Del, From all Sportswriters Worldwide, Great Post! ....and now I don't feel so bad about my 1993 Altima ....289,000 miles, and counting. I know many writers who are making 15 to 18 bucks a game. Sometimes they even receive an extra $5 for gasoline. Thank Goodness for Hospitality Rooms.

Here's an example of a newspaper covering an incredible story: Our local newspaper sent a reporter to Murfreesboro last season for the amazing Unaka run to the state title. He was provided a laptop by the paper so he could send daily updates because the round trip is near 700 miles (but, of course the computer didn't work).

A photographer was allowed to attend the Championship Game, only after he told them he was going whether he was paid or not. I think they paid him.

The local Radio Station passed on covering the tournament as well; even the Championship Game.

So what's the point? Well, that many, if not most papers place very minimal emphasis on sports. And in the rural communities, the broadcasters are about the same.

For stringer writers, they can make $25-$35 a game.  I've heard $18-$25k / year for sports editing a small paper.  For a bigger paper (say the Jackson Sun), I'd guess mid-thirties.

None of that is a lot of money for a 4 year degreed person who can write, take pictures, and is willing to work odd hours.

825600798[/snapback]

I know a few sportswriters wishing they made that much .....LOL....

Where did the perception that local sportswriters make any money come from???..Everyone doesn't make Mike Lupica money....

The vast majority of sportswriters are very dedicated and are very good at what do. They certainly don't do it for the money.

I appreciate the job that people like Doug Dyer, Jessica Hopp, Chip Cirrillo(sp?), Donovan Stewart, Jeff Lockridge, Harold Huggins, Michael Williams, etc. do in covering high sports in the Nashville area.

Edited by Bighurt

Sportswriters — what a subject to be talking about during such an exciting time of the athletic year.

I for one know I am WAY overpaid, expecially during tournament time. I am really glad I have photos of my two children, so I can remember what they look like.

But seriously, this profession is like any other. There are some good ones and there are some bad ones. As for the need to be a great athlete to be a great sportswriter — I will continue being an average sportswriter, like I was an average athlete — as long as fans remember they are average most of the time without the chance of scrutiny.

But that scrutiny is something we should expect and be used to. I was born with thick skin and it increased with every deadline I almost missed.

While I will never be a wealthy man, I do know that I can actually smile every weekday morning when I drive to the office around 4:30 a.m. with another day ahead of me covering our wonderful student-athletes.

Edited by TankTalk

Del & blacksunshine make very good points. Being in radio - a close cousin to print when it comes to pay - I can tell you that we aren't sitting on lopsided wallets lined with wads of money. Also, some reporters and broadcasters played sports and some didn't. That is not the criteria for the job. It may help in some instances, but it isn't the most important factor. I, for one, did play sports and use that somewhat in my broadcasts and reporting. But, the most important factor is the ability to relate what has happened so that the average fan can have a better understanding of the event.

Some writers played and some didn't. I've seen talented writers from both camps. And some not so talented.

However, let's put a twist on things. If you guys really get bored sometime, find 10-15 of the most successful high school coaches in your area, and find out if they played the sport they're coaching in high school/college. I think you might be surprised by how many didn't.

No way sports writers or broadcasters do "it" for a living. You can make a living at it, but not one that provides like other paths. You do it either for the love of the games or part-time for fun. There are great posts above this one spelling it out perfectly.

Sportswriters — what a subject to be talking about during such an exciting time of the athletic year.

I for one know I am WAY overpaid, expecially during tournament time. I am really glad I have photos of my two children, so I can remember what they look like.

But seriously, this profession is like any other. There are some good ones and there are some bad ones. As for the need to be a great athlete to be a great sportswriter — I will continue being an average sportswriter, like I was an average athlete — as long as fans remember they are average most of the time without the chance of scrutiny.

But that scrutiny is something we should expect and be used to. I was born with thick skin and it increased with every deadline I almost missed.

While I will never be a wealthy man, I do know that I can actually smile every weekday morning when I drive to the office around 4:30 a.m. with another day ahead of me covering our wonderful student-athletes.

825601166[/snapback]

I has the pleasure of sitting with Tank Talk at a state tournament game last Spring. I was amazed at his knowledge of the high school sports in general not just the boys basketball team he was covering.

As I have found to be the case with most people covering high school sports, he is a sports fan in addition to being a sportswriter.