Giles County vs. Humboldt

GCfan79

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catfish-hunter
Talk about coaching blunders....  It worked out to his advantage I guess,  but Humboldt's coach almost cost his team the game tonight.  In the fourth quarter when EVERYTHING going Giles County's way, Tyler Smith lets loose a THUNDEROUS dunk that CRIPPLES his dunk over Brandon Wright by far.  Anyway, the place goes NUTS and the Humboldt coach doesn't even call a time-out.

Lucky for him Shivers or whoever shot that three was on because if he clanks that three , momentum swings well back in favor of GCHS and they probably go on the Murfreesboro.

825609026[/snapback]

That is called playing through adversity, which is a sign of a state championship caliber team. Everyone though Jackson South Side was so terrible a year ago, but allow for me to remind to that the Hawks only losses in the postseason came to Bolivar. Everyone else they played, they beat. Thus far through this postseason, Humboldt has been the same way. If they beat RE in the 'Boro, then they'll likely cruise into the championship game and likely play who??? BOLIVAR.

I'm from Humboldt and was lucky enough to get there in time for the game...it was a packed house and a great enviroment that could have easily intimidated the Vikings but they didn't back down...I am now a believer in this Tyler Smith guy...if there's anyone else in high school that can jump like he can, then I want to meet him...and he showed the mark of a true player by wanting the ball at the end...unfortunately, he had too many fouls to attack the basket as aggressively as he did...I do hope so see him continue his career at UT and hopefully do well there...as for the Vikings...not enough can be said about these guys...starting no one over 6'4...and that's a generous 6'4...the Vikings just have a lot of heart...and to come from behind the way they more than proves it...much respect to Giles County...neither team diserved to lose that game...Congrats to Vikes and good luck at the Boro

Shivers - 21, Smith - 18, Everett - 5, Dotson - 14, Rose - 14, Johnson - 8 (3 Srs, 3 Jrs). I'm so proud of our boys I don't know what to do. I've had the opportunity to see Tyler Smith play 3 times, and I was more impressed with him tonight than ever. He can jump out of the gym, and anybody that hasn't seem him throw it down on a fast break doesn't know what they've missed. Channing Coffey is also a good one! Has he signed with anyone yet? Congrats to Giles' Seniors on a great game and a great career!

Shivers - 21, Smith - 18, Everett - 5, Dotson - 14, Rose - 14, Johnson - 8 (3 Srs, 3 Jrs). I'm so proud of our boys I don't know what to do. I've had the opportunity to see Tyler Smith play 3 times, and I was more impressed with him tonight than ever. He can jump out of the gym, and anybody that hasn't seem him throw it down on a fast break doesn't know what they've missed. Channing Coffey is also a good one! Has he signed with anyone yet? Congrats to Giles' Seniors on a great game and a great career!

825609044[/snapback]

I'm glad I got a good seat for this one... It was well worth all the waiting in line!! I wish Giles would have held on so I could see Tyler play again in march but Humboldt pulled off a game that seemed to be getting away from them... Officiating was pitiful... on both sides... a couple of the charges on Smith weren't charges but due to his size and Humboldt playing smart defense and falling on the ground when he would drive to the basket the refs called it... Shivers played the entire game plus overtime when he should have been out at the first of the 4th... Smith should have been out shortly after, but for some reason the officials gave them both 1 less foul than they actually made... Also a player from Giles made an obvious backcourt violation right in front of two officials yet they didn't catch it.. W/ this being said, Shivers kept Humboldt in the game in the first half... It would have been very lopsided if not for him.... His outside shot went cold in the 2nd half, yet #20, #40, and #12 picked up the slack totalling about 6 or 7 threes between them..... This would have been very intersting if both shivers and smith actually fouled out when they were supposed to.. Or if Smith didn't foul out at all... But neither worked that way.... I knew they would call a charge on him at the end.... It was obvious the way they had been calling on him all night... I would have just gave it to Tyler and let him toy w/ Humboldt at midcourt until they fouled him.... Because they couldn't contain him at all.... It looked as if they were going to do that w/ around 2 or 3 minutes left... He burned off about 30-40 seconds just toying w/ humboldt's big guy... at that point they were up by 7 and would have won... but it didn't work out that way.. Congrats to Humboldt.... The long drive back home turned out to be the best drive they've had in a while i can guarantee ya that :lol:

As for Smith... Thanks for all the memories... I'm from Loretto and have been following you pretty close since the first of your sophomore year... the improvement from then to now is outrageous... I've seen all the stars that tennessee has had to offer the past 4 years and your game at this point in time is w/out a doubt the best of any tennessee baller.... Yes Gomab, including the delks and J.P. Prince.... I also had the pleasure of seeing the pure leaper Charles Little play in a game where he had a few monster dunks... Yes the boy can leap and yes he can throw down, but anyone that says he is more explosive than Tyler is without.... And it doesn't have to be a breakaway... Tonight he took flight from 2 feet inside the free throw line w/ two humboldt defenders on his left and one on his right and brought everyone to their feet... You could see a bunch of Humboldt's fans mouth even drop after that one.... I've seen Ron Mercer, Kirk Haston, Marcus Hayslip, Corey Brewer, Brandon Wright, J.P. Prince, Reg, Rich Delk and many more play in High School... You can't really compare smith to haston or Wright because they play completely diff positions, but anyways, Smith has impressed me much more than any of them... Wright runs a close second but Smith is just much more explosive than anyone I have seen from tennessee... Jamont Gordon is his equal... I saw him play twice and came away more impressed w/ him last year than I was w/ Tyler at that time but after this year i'm not budging on Tyler... He's the best High School baller I've seen... *thought i'd get to see a better one in Monta Ellis a few weeks ago but that fell through* Anyways... Good luck to Tyler next year wherever he plays.. A local newspaper said he wouldn't sign w/ UT if buzz left so we may get to see him play at a place like Kansas after all.... I prefer UT for my convenience but it would do him a lot better probably to go somewhere else w/ more exposure... Unless of course Jamont decides on UT and they can lure in Kemp and Chism... Wouldn't that be nice....

Gomab, as I said earlier I am done bashing Coach Holt, but there is one more thing that should be said. The year that the State Championship was won, it was done so with luck (Bolivar & Ridgeway) and alot of talent. As for Jackson Northside...you could take out 3 of their starters and still be left with two of the best players in TN on the court. That is not a fair comparison. Giles County has accomplished some amazing things the last three years that haven't been done since the 91,92, & 93 teams. These guys laid it all on the line and have proved that they can play with the best teams anywhere. MAS summed it up pretty well. After that post, there is really nothing else to say.

I was at the game last night and I don't know why everyone seems to think the two players got an extra foul. I don't know about the guy from Humboldt but I kept up with Tyler's and had the same as the scores table.

I think the confusion was on a play near the sideline at the scorers table. The refs just called the ball out on Tyler and not a foul on him. I know alot of people near me thought it was a foul but none was actually called.

Either way the officiating stunk. Deron Garrett committed the back court violation right in fromt of me and a couple of officials. It was blantantly obvious.

Congrats to Humboldt for not folding.

Last night was just pitiful!!! The last chance GCHS had for another ring and not only did the coach let us down...I think the fans did as well!!! The majority of Giles County fans just sit there like a knot on a log and do not cheer. Whether it be in football or basketball...its like attending a funeral. When you have a gym full of people, and over 75% of them are hometown fans...it should have been close to eardrum shattering last night. Some people are just too worried about looking pretty in the stands. Maybe the "BOOSTER CLUB" should try to encourage these old fuddy duddy people to get up off their....sorry, I'm still upset from the game!

Congratulations to Tyler Smith, thanks for the championship you brought here. Thanks for the memories and I look forward to seeing you in orange and white!!!

Hopefully, Coach Johnson will resurrect the football program now that basketball has seen its glory days pass on. Good luck to those who remain in the state tourney!!!

Holt is not a very good coach, and I don't know how anybody can dispute that. Having won a championship in high school basketball does not make one a good coach. The talent he has had at that school is impressive, and talent can carry you in high school.

As for the game last night, you have to wonder why Giles kept pressing when they were up by 10. They allowed Humboldt several easy baskets, without burning a lot of time, and it also led to some fouls which allowed Humboldt to score with the clock stopped. Giles needed to shorten the game at the end and they did everything they could to lengthen it. Also, keeping the point guard out until well into the 4th Q was curious at best. A fair coach would have won that game last night. End of story.

I was at the game last night and I don't know why everyone seems to think the two players got an extra foul. I don't know about the guy from Humboldt but I kept up with Tyler's and had the same as the scores table.

I think the confusion was on a play near the sideline at the scorers table. The refs just called the ball out on Tyler and not a foul on him. I know alot of people near me thought it was a foul but none was actually called.

Either way the officiating stunk. Deron Garrett committed the back court violation right in fromt of me and a couple of officials. It was blantantly obvious.

Congrats to Humboldt for not folding.

825609149[/snapback]

You didn't pay close enough attention then.... The foul that was called on Tyler, yet not given to him, was before the play you are talking about and no that wasn't his freebie we were referring to I know that was called as an out of bounds... Then there was a foul obviously called on Shivers as blatant as the backcourt violation yet the referee went to the scorers table and called the foul on number 12.... Oh... and the backcourt violation that wasn't called was made by Tryce Nelson, not Deron Garett....

I must tip my hat off to Humboldt. They won end of story.

To Catfish, I am a true Giles County Fan first and a Tsmith Fan Next!!. I do not care what type of team we have next year, i will follow them!! Case Close!! I promise you, I will not make anymore comments to you or about you!! Even if you continue to make stupid statements!!