Smith county girls

lynard

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the 'boro today. A little bird told me MO was so bummed out about Dodgen leaving that she was considering transferring to York to play with Brandi Brown.  I haven't talked to MO in about two weeks so I need to check this out.

I stopped at the Gordonsville exit to buy a soda and a paper. The Carthage Courier has a front page story on Coach Dodgen.

825614348[/snapback]

I hate to hear about the coach, I thought that he was doing a good job. I would like to remind Mo that Jackson County is much closer to Smith Co. than York is!

DON'T KNOW OF ANY CHANGES THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE COMING, HOWEVER IF SMITH COUNTY IS GOING TO MAKE A CHANGE THEY WOULD BE GETING A WINNER IN BARRY SMITH. HE IS ONE OF THE BEST COACHES IN THE UPPER CUMBERLAND. HIS TEAM WILL PLAY HARD AND BE "BASKETBALL" SMART. DID A GREAT JOB AT PICKETT COUNTY, WINNING THEIR LAST STATE CHAMPIONSHIP IN GIRLS. GREAT PICK IF CHANGES ARE MADE.

Not a basketball fan at all, but was surprised to hear about Coach Dodgen's departure.  I heard the school board didn't hire him back.  He is a good guy and I am sure there are some people from Smith County that will miss him.  He will be OK, he will get a job somewhere.

825614370[/snapback]

Is he not also a TSSAA ref?

Edited by trueline

DON'T KNOW OF ANY CHANGES THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE COMING, HOWEVER  IF SMITH COUNTY IS GOING TO MAKE A CHANGE THEY WOULD BE GETING A WINNER IN BARRY SMITH. HE IS ONE OF THE BEST COACHES IN THE UPPER CUMBERLAND. HIS TEAM WILL PLAY HARD AND BE "BASKETBALL" SMART. DID A GREAT JOB AT PICKETT COUNTY, WINNING THEIR LAST STATE CHAMPIONSHIP IN GIRLS. GREAT PICK IF CHANGES ARE MADE.

825614588[/snapback]

I don't know if he will apply. He is already an employee of the Smith County school system.

I am not from Smith Co. but why would "they" do this? What did the Courier Say? It sound like this would not be the place for any coach to go if you want to IMPROVE a team. It might be a good place to go and play the people who will keep you your job, do enough to get by, and keep your mouth shut. Don't know all the details, but that is what it seems like.

I am not from Smith Co. but why would "they" do this? What did the Courier Say? It sound like this would not be the place for any coach to go if you want to IMPROVE a team. It might be a good place to go and play the people who will keep you your job, do enough to get by, and keep your mouth shut. Don't know all the details, but that is what it seems like.

825614616[/snapback]

I don't think playing time or even coaching had much to do with the decision.

Good luck to Coach Dodgen in whatever he pursues.

825614616[/snapback]

I don't think Smith County is political like that. Maybe. But I know it isn't that way in some sports. I am not sure why he was not hired back. Surely it was for good reason. Regardless, like I said before, I like the man alot and I wish him the best wherever he lands.

I've been around Smith County a bunch and I've worked down there before and I have family that works in the school systems and other places throughout the county. The good ol' boy system is alive and well down there. They very much believe that if you scratch their back then they will scratch yours. If you are someone from outside of the county then you will never recieve a fair shake. One great example is Rick Spivey. The best basketball mind that has ever came in down there and he got run out of town.

TennisGuy, I've thought for a while that you were way out there, but that statement takes the cake. I love Rick Spivey, but the best basketball mind. Not even close. Player ?.................. maybe. lol . Everywhere is prone to want to promote people close to them to positions of importance. If that is the good ole boy system or whatever then so be it. Coach Spivey and Coach Dodgen both had their "fair" shake and they are and will do fine outside of Smith Co. And Smith Co. are and will do fine with others.