What might have been....(Oakland + Siegel)

NumberOneTwice

oland...gotta disagree with the comment on about siegel being the same as Blackman...their football program is being brought up the exact opposite of Blackman. They arent having the early success that blackman did but the building blocks are there which Blackman didn't have. Volleyball, nobody else in Murfreesboro has as close as there is to a feeder system than Coach Palk...she is at the middle schools in Dec. and Jan getting interest and setting up clinics. Reavis had an awful team last year but made things happen with them...theres no telling what he can do with a good team. Basketball...while they wont enjoy the success of this year and next over the next few years after they will be just as solid as oakland and Riverdale with the talent they have coming up.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if.............who cares. It was just about 4 or 5 years ago when M'boro still only had 2 highschools Oakland and Riverdale and what did they do in basketball? Nothing special, let me remind you. Imagine if it was still like that.........let me guess you all think they would dominate 7AAA well they did not 4 or 5 years ago and I don't think they would now.

What if.............who cares.  It was just about 4 or 5 years ago when M'boro still only had 2 highschools Oakland and Riverdale and what did they do in basketball?  Nothing special, let me remind you.  Imagine if it was still like that.........let me guess you all think they would dominate  7AAA well they did not 4 or 5 years ago and I don't think they would now.

825619919[/snapback]

well...id say that things have...just maybe...changed in the last 4 to 5 years :)

and we're not saying that they would dominate 7AAA, but combine any two murfreesboro schools and you have a huge talent pool.

What if.............who cares.  It was just about 4 or 5 years ago when M'boro still only had 2 highschools Oakland and Riverdale and what did they do in basketball?  Nothing special, let me remind you.  Imagine if it was still like that.........let me guess you all think they would dominate  7AAA well they did not 4 or 5 years ago and I don't think they would now.

825619919[/snapback]

Oakland hasnt done anything special in basketball? Maybe its time you took a visit to the gymnasium at Oakland High, better yet i shall educate you on the successes of Oakland's Basketball Program: 16 District Championships, 7 Region Championships, 15 Sectional Appearances, 8 State Tourney Appearances, 4 Final 4 Appearances, and a State Runners up. Now pardon me, but to me it just seems like thats a lil better than "Nothing Special"

I've read all these posts and now I'll chime in. Just about every growing county in TN could be having this conversation. Bradley Co. (Bradley Cent. and Walker Vall.), Wilson Co. (Leb and WC), Germantown (G'town and Houston). 30+ years ago these conversations probably took place in regards to M'boro with Central, Jackson with just JCM, or Morristown before East and West.

What about the converse of consolidation? We probably would've never seen the dominance of Lincoln or Jefferson Co. in football without it. I think about the juggernaut girls basketball team that would be formed if all the Gibson Co. schools consolidated into a huge AAA school instead of a lot of A and AA schools. What about a single Carroll Co. HS for football?

It is pretty cool to think about how OHS would be with all the Siegel kids, but you never know what would have happened to the team chemistry, with too many stars wanting the ball. I think the great thing about both teams was that each player knew his role. If it were one team, the roles would be different, some people may be complaining about PT, etc.

All these schools opening up lately here in Ruth. Co. is just part of progress and shows how popular our county is with people moving here. We live less than a mile from SHS, but who knows, when my kid starts HS in 2012, he may not even be zoned for Siegel.

Nice entry ccalum...I agree you could do this with any two or more schools that split. But this being the only split of the sort that I've ever personally experienced, it led me to be intrigued by it. Plus the fact that I absolutely hate that our guys came so close to the big dance and didn't make it makes me yearn for a special team even more.

To fastereddie who mentioned Oakland and Riverdale weren't that great 4 or 5 years ago--no team is good every year. Look at Oakland a decade or so ago and then you'll see a another team with something "special". Do you think Siegel will have the success they've had after they graduate all their current starters? No...every team has to go through rebuilding stages. Just because teams go through periods of success or mediocrity, doesn't mean things have always be that way. It also speaks volumes that teams such as Oakland and Riverdale have continued to win, even with the loss of talent because of new schools. That's a mark of a truly successful program.