5A preseason Coaches Poll

Murphy Fair just released the 5A coaches pre-season poll.

Hard to argue much of it...but, as pre-season polls go, much is based on two things:  how they finished the year before and who they have returning.

1. Henry County
2. Knoxville West
3. Ridgeway
4. Memphis East
5. Ooltewah
6. Cleveland
7. Shelbyville
8. Beech
9. Anderson County
10. Oak Ridge

Hard to argue much of it...but, as pre-season polls go, much is based on two things:  how they finished the year before and who they have returning.

1. Henry County

2. Knoxville West

3. Ridgeway

4. Memphis East

5. Ooltewah

6. Cleveland

7. Shelbyville

8. Beech

9. Anderson County

10. Oak Ridge

Your right. These should be taken with a grain of salt because coaches are not going to put in a lot of time to fill out one of these polls. With that being said, one major oversight IMO is the omission of Rhea Co., not sure if they have a state championship worthy team, but I do think it is a team that will make a deep run into the playoffs. I do feel like Beech snuck in there on reputation, but is a well-earned reputation. Also curious that Campbell County isn't in the top 10, considering all the starters they are returning.

Edited by MidTennFootball

Your right. These should be taken with a grain of salt because coaches are not going to put in a lot of time to fill out one of these polls. With that being said, one major oversight IMO is the omission of Rhea Co., not sure if they have a state championship worthy team, but I do think it is a team that will make a deep run into the playoffs. I do feel like Beech snuck in there on reputation, but is a well-earned reputation. Also curious that Campbell County isn't in the top 10, considering all the starters they are returning.

I'm going to reserve my opinion on Rhea Co.

They got off to a great start last year...then fell to Walker Valley, and won one game in the playoffs.  Everyone (but Rhea fans) had been skeptical of their success after joining a much weaker district than the one they left.  

Honestly, I believe they'll be decent again this year, but their district will actually be stronger.  I think Cookeville will definitely be stronger.  White county will be better.  Stone Memorial will be improved. Their non-district schedule also won't be a gift this time around...with Walker Valley, East Hamilton, Red Bank, and Soddy all being more challenging this year than last.

Gotta wait and see what they can do with teams that matter...  Just my humble opinion  :bored:

I'm going to reserve my opinion on Rhea Co.

They got off to a great start last year...then fell to Walker Valley, and won one game in the playoffs.  Everyone (but Rhea fans) had been skeptical of their success after joining a much weaker district than the one they left.  

Honestly, I believe they'll be decent again this year, but their district will actually be stronger.  I think Cookeville will definitely be stronger.  White county will be better.  Stone Memorial will be improved. Their non-district schedule also won't be a gift this time around...with Walker Valley, East Hamilton, Red Bank, and Soddy all being more challenging this year than last.

Gotta wait and see what they can do with teams that matter...  Just my humble opinion  :bored:

Def. agree with you on Cookeville but being better, but not sure about White Co. they lost a lot of seniors and are going to be pretty thin at quite a few positions. Right again that they are going to have to beat someone of substance before they are taken seriously as a contender

Hard to argue much of it...but, as pre-season polls go, much is based on two things: how they finished the year before and who they have returning.

1. Henry County

2. Knoxville West

3. Ridgeway

4. Memphis East

5. Ooltewah

6. Cleveland

7. Shelbyville

8. Beech

9. Anderson County

10. Oak Ridge

No Hillsboro?? 3 SEC kids and 18 starters returning? Very interesting. But coaches polls mean squat, especially right now. Still it's very interesting that the Burros weren't among the top 10

No Hillsboro?? 3 SEC kids and 18 starters returning? Very interesting. But coaches polls mean squat, especially right now. Still it's very interesting that the Burros weren't among the top 10

I'd have to agree...  On this side of the state, we don't know much about that side...but I can tell you we've heard a lot about Hillsboro.

I wouldn't fret this poll much.  It's an opinion poll based on coaches' votes in the pre-season.  Many of them don't even know what THEY have, much less what anyone else will be like across the state...Much is based on familiar names and recent reputation.

The bigger bummer is...they can only pick 10.  Not sure who I'd pluck from that 10 to replace with Hillsboro...maybe Beech?  From what I know, they're probably better than Shelbyville, too.  The rest will be pretty strong...and will likely be around come the late rounds of the playoffs...

I'd have to agree... On this side of the state, we don't know much about that side...but I can tell you we've heard a lot about Hillsboro.

I wouldn't fret this poll much. It's an opinion poll based on coaches' votes in the pre-season. Many of them don't even know what THEY have, much less what anyone else will be like across the state...Much is based on familiar names and recent reputation.

The bigger bummer is...they can only pick 10. Not sure who I'd pluck from that 10 to replace with Hillsboro...maybe Beech? From what I know, they're probably better than Shelbyville, too. The rest will be pretty strong...and will likely be around come the late rounds of the playoffs...

To me Beech is the easy team to get off there, they lost a lot off their team last season. Rhea Co has a gripe too..

That's why I'm not too big on publicizing coaches preseason polls, because they are usually terrible lol. Good thing it all plays out on the field