All Star, or popularity contest

RedD

In looking at the East roster the backs who were selected are good but Fox has better numbers. It's just a shame for him after working so hard.

One thing that bothered me, it you go to Anderson County website at Max**ps, HIS stats are the only one listed for the ENTIRE team.   No other member of the team has their stats listed there.    Maybe "someone" is pushing him too hard.  Either list all the kids are none of the kids. 

One thing that bothered me, it you go to Anderson County website at Max**ps, HIS stats are the only one listed for the ENTIRE team. No other member of the team has their stats listed there. Maybe "someone" is pushing him too hard. Either list all the kids are none of the kids.

Hmm, not sure why that would be. I don't know anything about the stats or how they get on MP. Maybe Foxman took the initiative to do that for his son. Either way I would not think whoever selected the East team would care that only his stats were on MP. Edited by TomJoad

What does an all-star game give a recruiter that film can't?  One would have a hard time convincing me that you can get a solid assessment on a kid through an all-star game.  If the game is for recruiting purposes, it's a sad state of affairs that next level coaches are relying on an all-star game.  If the purpose is to show case the kids that played the best at their respective positions (even though they may not be SEC or ACC type kids) again, the system is flawed as RedD stated.

It about going up against the best. Every player is an "All Everything",during an ALL-Star game, not just a few as is the case during regular play. Not unlike the TSSAA play-offs, each game has better and better competition in most cases. 

It's not necessarily the game itself.  College coaches have a chance to come to practices and see the kids in person and talk to them.  Video is great, but there is nothing like seeing them in person, and seeing them in an all star environment against other like players is something that you may not be able to see on video.  Competition level varies so much from week to week that highlight videos sometimes don't tell the truth.  

The "top level" players are all pretty much known commodities by this point and most of them are there for the reward value of it, but there are a lot of "tier two" if you will prospects in the game that do get a chance to show their wares to college coaches.  I've seen it happen in this game in past years.

i don't think college coaches are allowed at these practices.

i don't think college coaches are allowed at these practices.

Not true.  

I don't think the D1 and D1-AA schools are allowed to be there, but the lower levels of NCAA and NAIA coaches are there, or at least they were when I was at a couple of practices the last year the game was played at Carson-Newman.  I saw several of them there back then, and the NAIAs and D2s and D3s are where a large majority of those kids will wind up.  

And an edit: 

Looks like even D1 can have off campus contact now.  This chart shows it allowable beginning the Sunday after the last Saturday in November:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Division%20I%20Recruiting%20Overview%20Chart2014.pdf

Edited by HTV

What does an all-star game give a recruiter that film can't? One would have a hard time convincing me that you can get a solid assessment on a kid through an all-star game. If the game is for recruiting purposes, it's a sad state of affairs that next level coaches are relying on an all-star game. If the purpose is to show case the kids that played the best at their respective positions (even though they may not be SEC or ACC type kids) again, the system is flawed as RedD stated.

And at the end of the day you can choose all the top kids and the system will still be flawed because somebody will be crying out somebody no getting in or somebody being over rated....
  • Upvote 1

stats,stats,stats don't lie, now I am sure the argument could be made , well they played in a week league or something, my point is the way it is set up it allows guys to play buddy, buddy, I think it should require something more then the coaches coaching in it to select the whole team.

Remember these are kids. I am a Fox guy. I would have loved for him to show his skills in this game.  But in regards to recruitment it all goes back to are they academic qualifiers. Most schools, basically make their offers on camps. Film can lie (highlight is highlight and doesn't show low lights) and who has time to watch a whole game tape in becoming the mindset of coaches.

• Upvote 1