HVA comes two Mairvul

STARSNBARS

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game against Bradley was clearly in control by Maryville from the get go. GQ is smart enough to realize that and subbed out a lot of kids especially in the second half because he knows we have to deal with a decent hard hitting team from HVA next. You can't go risking injury to your best players when a game is in command. Even when it was apparent the second team defense was really no match for Bradley's first team offense he didn't run out and throw the first team back in for the sake of a good show for the newspapers which most coaches would. Those kids got a growing lesson which will help in the future. I'm sure it might have been a better game had Bradley's QB had been there but I did see us drop 5 catchable passes because the ball was wet. I can assure you Hopkins wasn't throwing wounded ducks but bullets and that being our first test under those weather conditions I was kind of expecting that.

The game against Bradley was clearly in control by Maryville from the get go. GQ is smart enough to realize that and subbed out a lot of kids especially in the second half because he knows we have to deal with a decent hard hitting team from HVA next. You can't go risking injury to your best players when a game is in command. Even when it was apparent the second team defense was really no match for Bradley's first team offense he didn't run out and throw the first team back in for the sake of a good show for the newspapers which most coaches would. Those kids got a growing lesson which will help in the future. I'm sure it might have been a better game had Bradley's QB had been there but I did see us drop 5 catchable passes because the ball was wet. I can assure you Hopkins wasn't throwing wounded ducks but bullets and that being our first test under those weather conditions I was kind of expecting that.

Not having Copeland was a huge loss for Bradley, His experience and throwing ability would have made a difference in the first half, although I never really thought enough to win over Maryville. I did think we might have a 10 to 20% chance of the upset if he played, because the coaches trusted him to change plays if he saw something, or he would just make a play at times out of nowhere, but that would be tops.

It rained pretty good for a part of the 1st qtr and had some rain most of the first half, but I didn't think it really bothered the game much. Always a few more drops in the passing game because of that but nothing major.

Last year, I really thought Bradley was about equal to about Maryville's 3rd string in reality, I thought this year we did show improvement in our ability to play with Maryville (maybe close to equal with the 2nd string) but still got a long ways to go to really be competitive enough to truly be considered a threat to beat Maryville straight up.

I got to see a half hour or so of practice today. This team looks so much better now than they did a month or two ago-IMO. Maybe the players are becoming a lot more comfortable with their roles (becoming more of a team).

Play-offs are approaching and the focus is improving. This team has taken longer to jell versus previous years but I am liking what I am seeing. Injuries obviously didn't help but with everyone healthy they have a chance to run the tables. Week 4 and week 5, if there is one, will be a challenge.

Good luck to the Red Rebels!!! Wes Jones will have the hawks fired up tomorrow night!! will definitely be checking to see the score when i get home.  

hoping to see ya'll the 2nd round of the playoffs.  here in NC the teams on the western part of the state have a week off so that the teams on the eastern part of the state can make up their games missed during hurricane matthew, so we have an open date that week.

MOVE THEM CHAINS!!!!