• Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

Welcome to CoachT.com Message Boards

Take part in our online community by signing up! Get in the game today! This message disappears when you sign in.

Preppy

Pitching strategy in postseason

12 posts in this topic

How did the new pitch count regulations affect decisions today? Did everybody throw their aces today?

Looks like some did but kept them on pitch counts.  I'd be willing to bet there will be some high scoring games on Wednesday as people throw off, or throw Johnny All-Staff to get to Friday with most of their good guys ready to go.

So, they threw the ace but kept him below 120 so that they can throw again on Friday?

It gets really interesting if the ace threw a bunch on Monday, comes back on Friday with 100+, AND THEN the state tourney starts TUESDAY.....only 3 days rest. This is where the rubber meets the road and the teams with top quality #2 & #3 starters will carry the day. There aren't many in Class A that have more than a couple really good pitchers. There are going to be some serious runs scored in Murfreesboro. I just hope we get there......

Can someone summarize the new pitch count rules? CPA threw their #1 for 4 innings of no hit ball and maybe 9-10 Ks (I lost track in the 4th).

You need four days rest if you throw 120 pitches. Need three days rest if you throw between 76-119 pitches. Two days rest for 56-75 pitches. One day of rest if you throw 25-55 pitches.

If I was a coach I would want to play my Regional Final today just to give my day an extra day of rest before Friday.

If I was a coach I would want to play my Regional Final today just to give my day an extra day of rest before Friday.

Dates are set by the TSSAA. You can only change them with their permission and both coaches have to agree.

Elimination games on Monday and Friday.  A seeding game on Wednesday.  I doubt anybody threw their #1 for more than a bullpen on Wednesday.  It's not sound strategy if they did.  These Wednesday scores will not be very indicative of who has the better team a lot of the time.