106AAA

werazzlin

Hayden needs a little more time to grow. He's up to about 93 now, but will still be too small to compete at the level to match his skills at 106. He will most likely lose to less talented kids this season simply because of his size. However, he will most likely be our 106 until after Christmas and there is no doubt that he will battle and continue to get better so he can be ready when he is a full size 106. 

11 hours ago, KingGreene said:

Hayden needs a little more time to grow. He's up to about 93 now, but will still be too small to compete at the level to match his skills at 106. He will most likely lose to less talented kids this season simply because of his size. However, he will most likely be our 106 until after Christmas and there is no doubt that he will battle and continue to get better so he can be ready when he is a full size 106. 

Size is everything at 106lb.  Gone are the day's where you had 18 yr old men wrestling at 98lb (Cutting from 125lb)  and 105lb.  A young kid can have all the technique in the world but he will have trouble defeating a grown man in the lower weights.  While it's only an educated guess I would say that in most instances the 105lb state champions from the 70's and 80's would maul the state champions at 106lb today on pure physical strength.  

42 minutes ago, cbg said:

Size is everything at 106lb.  Gone are the day's where you had 18 yr old men wrestling at 98lb (Cutting from 125lb)  and 105lb.  A young kid can have all the technique in the world but he will have trouble defeating a grown man in the lower weights.  While it's only an educated guess I would say that in most instances the 105lb state champions from the 70's and 80's would maul the state champions at 106lb today on pure physical strength.  

Ok, just for the sake of argument, the last time a senior won the 106 state championship was Dario Rudas of East Ridge back in 2004. Now, do you think Rudas beats Noah Horst? All hypotheticals so we'll say that Noah is not running a fever like he was last year and Rudas is also at his best. Who wins?

26 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

Ok, just for the sake of argument, the last time a senior won the 106 state championship was Dario Rudas of East Ridge back in 2004. Now, do you think Rudas beats Noah Horst? All hypotheticals so we'll say that Noah is not running a fever like he was last year and Rudas is also at his best. Who wins?

Horst wins. Specially win he is 100 percent

Read thoroughly in that I said the 70's and 80's.  Those are the last years you truly had men at 98/lb and 105/lb.

The kids today are great wrestlers just not as large (Are not allowed to cut as much weight) and they don't have the physical maturity.  You take an 18 yr old that is shaving and he will beat a young freshmen (95% of the time if they are anywhere close to the same skill level.  

10 hours ago, cbg said:

Read thoroughly in that I said the 70's and 80's.  Those are the last years you truly had men at 98/lb and 105/lb.

The kids today are great wrestlers just not as large (Are not allowed to cut as much weight) and they don't have the physical maturity.  You take an 18 yr old that is shaving and he will beat a young freshmen (95% of the time if they are anywhere close to the same skill level.  

I'm aware of what you said. I scenario I asked is because its closer to now so people still may remember Rudas wrestling in '04. Let me see if I can understand what you're saying though. You're saying that only the 106lbers of the 70s and 80s, who were seniors when they won a state title, would beat the freshman state champs of today, wrestlers like Noah Horst (2017), Chris Debian (2012), Brandon Brunner (2010), Ethan Hames (2008). Am I closer now? Because I still think that's ridiculous. I think talent beats raw strength any day of the week.

I think these would all have to be looked at individually. A lot of the time it isn't a younger six pounder's lack of technique that leads to a loss. It's his mentality. Some 14 year-olds simply get psyched out by older looking kids with chest hair and tattoos. Kinda like how coaches, even if they weren't as successful in high school, can still beat up on their stud state medalists at practice. It's that "old man strength" mystique. 

21 minutes ago, MemphisTiger14 said:

I think these would all have to be looked at individually. A lot of the time it isn't a younger six pounder's lack of technique that leads to a loss. It's his mentality. Some 14 year-olds simply get psyched out by older looking kids with chest hair and tattoos. Kinda like how coaches, even if they weren't as successful in high school, can still beat up on their stud state medalists at practice. It's that "old man strength" mystique. 

Its not like it was back then though. A lot of the kids now travel a lot, and I mean a lot. Ask Noah how much he travels nationally during fs/gr season and during folk national season. Im sure hes seen just about everything there is to see. Bet him or Debian ran into an older kid at 106. A kid who travels all the time is likely to have seen just about it all and I would doubt would be intimidated by someone older, bc they've seen it all before.