TSSAA please help with Officating

OrangeGuru

22 hours ago, Bkbfan4ever said:

Heard a very good official say he wonders why he takes time away from his wife and kids to get yelled at by people who most don’t know the rules.  The verbal abuse is just not worth it

Fans think they know more than the officials.  Truth still remains that on every whistle half the crowd doesn’t like it.  Most of the officials are doing their best. Nobody’s perfect.  I watch NBA  and NFL refs with instant replay and they still get it wrong.    

Enjoy the game and stop yelling. You are only embarrassing yourself and your kids  

I'm sure his answer was he does it for the kids right ? Not asking for perfection, No it isn't true that everytime an official blows his whistle half crowd doesn't like it.  Fans do not claim to know as much as refs. Those are the same old clichés that get said everytime someone asks for consistency from official and qualified refs. Most fans are pretty knowledgeable and agree with the calls that are for and against if they are correct or if consistent  with the way the game is being called from start to finish. I disagree some are doing their best because they are not and if what I have seen from some is their best then we are all in for a rough time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DCDadCoachFan said:

I'm sure his answer was he does it for the kids right ? Not asking for perfection, No it isn't true that everytime an official blows his whistle half crowd doesn't like it.  Fans do not claim to know as much as refs. Those are the same old clichés that get said everytime someone asks for consistency from official and qualified refs. Most fans are pretty knowledgeable and agree with the calls that are for and against if they are correct or if consistent  with the way the game is being called from start to finish. I disagree some are doing their best because they are not and if what I have seen from some is their best then we are all in for a rough time.

NO that wasn't his answer.  AND yes it is true.  Everyone expects officials to be perfect and it is not possible.  MOST fans are definitely not knowledgeable and they don't agree with calls against their team.  They think they know the rules just like the neighbor who has all the answers. 

Consistency is hard, even at PRO levels.  As I have said before, there are good refs and bad just like any other profession.  Major difference is you don't see anyone screaming at doctors, farmers or plumbers.

Does there need to be better training?  Definitely!!!!  But screaming and ridiculing officials during a game doesn't help your team.

1 hour ago, Bkbfan4ever said:

NO that wasn't his answer.  AND yes it is true.  Everyone expects officials to be perfect and it is not possible.  MOST fans are definitely not knowledgeable and they don't agree with calls against their team.  They think they know the rules just like the neighbor who has all the answers. 

Consistency is hard, even at PRO levels.  As I have said before, there are good refs and bad just like any other profession.  Major difference is you don't see anyone screaming at doctors, farmers or plumbers.

Does there need to be better training?  Definitely!!!!  But screaming and ridiculing officials during a game doesn't help your team.

Not going to agree that fans want perfect because not possible is correct but consistency is possible. If the pros and higher level leagues are not consistant then they do not get called back. I sorry you believe the only people in the gym that know the rules are the 3 in stripes because many people there work for many years with kids teaching and coaching that have a good idea exactly what the rules are. WE just have to disagree and no need to argue in circles.  The other professions do get yelled at  but it happens in a court room not on a  basketball court. Just a different type of yeliing. Good luck with your team and I hope to see you at a game. It will be easy to pick you out. You will be the one applauding when your team gets called for a violation when everyone in the crowd disagrees. Just kidding

• Like 1

I've seen maybe 25 games at the varsity and sub-varsity level this year. In a few cases, officials are clearly mailing the effort in. That is inexcusable. MOST of the time, though, they really are doing their best. But we are talking 60+ year old guys who simply can't keep up physically with the pace of play, so they end up out of position to make a call. In those cases, they either guess or punt (IE, call nothing). The solution here is, obviously, to make it more worthwhile / accessible for younger officials. How to do that is less obvious to me.

This isn't limited to high school, mind. I was at the Vanderbilt / Tennessee game last night and saw exactly the same phenomenon.

The Problem I have with most officials is the fact they act like they do not even want to be there.   A lot of the officials we have working around here just want to come in and leave as quick as possible.  Not saying I could do any better but its like a job, if you can't stand to show up and call a game, then why do they do it.  That is what is frustrating.  It is all about the check it seems like for a lot of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, Osage said:

I've seen maybe 25 games at the varsity and sub-varsity level this year. In a few cases, officials are clearly mailing the effort in. That is inexcusable. MOST of the time, though, they really are doing their best. But we are talking 60+ year old guys who simply can't keep up physically with the pace of play, so they end up out of position to make a call. In those cases, they either guess or punt (IE, call nothing). The solution here is, obviously, to make it more worthwhile / accessible for younger officials. How to do that is less obvious to me.

This isn't limited to high school, mind. I was at the Vanderbilt / Tennessee game last night and saw exactly the same phenomenon.

ZEB35 was that you last night in DC. ? 

Prime example of the things that have been mentioned on this post. Inconsistent whistles and an inability to physically keep up with the pace of the game until it got to the point of not even trying. Out of position calls, trying to speed the game up on dead ball plays and laughable calls.  These guys could not physically run the floor. One call was from behind when a player for Munford guys was going for the layup used a crossover and stumbled. The DC player had completely moved out of the way and there was no contact. ( film available if needed)  The ref called blocking because he was at half court and was totally out of position. Now if this was  a one off steal it one thing. But nope. Consistent through out the game. This guy couldn't get there.  During the girls game, player not even on the side of the floor charged with the foul during a lay up.

Had to been Zeb35. Say it aint so Zeb!

14 hours ago, DCDadCoachFan said:

ZEB35 was that you last night in DC. ? 

Prime example of the things that have been mentioned on this post. Inconsistent whistles and an inability to physically keep up with the pace of the game until it got to the point of not even trying. Out of position calls, trying to speed the game up on dead ball plays and laughable calls.  These guys could not physically run the floor. One call was from behind when a player for Munford guys was going for the layup used a crossover and stumbled. The DC player had completely moved out of the way and there was no contact. ( film available if needed)  The ref called blocking because he was at half court and was totally out of position. Now if this was  a one off steal it one thing. But nope. Consistent through out the game. This guy couldn't get there.  During the girls game, player not even on the side of the floor charged with the foul during a lay up.

Had to been Zeb35. Say it aint so Zeb!

Not me bub need a  detailed profile description and Im sure I know who it was

16 hours ago, YELLOWJACKETinMOTION said:

Anytime a crazed dad's future NBA  son gets fouls called on him, or his son gets shut down by the defense of the opposing team......... its always the Officials.  We all seen stupid calls , we all "booo" the ref ,  but lets see you do better.

Ahh another ref with the talking points handed out at pre-season play days they didn't attend because they are not required to in order to pick up a check.  Its either " why don't you sign up" or " its for the kids" or " nobodys perfect" or even" you cant do any better". If you have read this post you will see I fully intend to buy my $5 whistle when my kid is no longer playing high school sports. 

9 hours ago, ZEBRA35 said:

Not me bub need a  detailed profile description and Im sure I know who it was

I'm not looking to name names or try to pick on any one guy. I realize there isn't the perfect official. BUT come one when you own physical condition will not allow you to get to a position to make call its pretty dog gone bad.  I just point out that the consistent whistle, effort on the floor and ability to do a fair job is lacking in many officials I have seen.

I am glad to know it wasn't you Zeb

Okay. This thread is still going so here it is from the "Old Sports Guy":

Officials never get a close call right. It is always right on one side of the gym and wrong on the other. The biggest issue I have with officials is not being in the right spot, mechanics that are unrecognizable, and not talking with the players and coaches. I officiated for years and i rarely had an issue. When I did have issues it was always on close calls. Block/Charge is close at least 75% of the time. That is when being in the right spot, making the call with recognizable mechanics and talking with the players involved and the coach about what you saw. I officiated for decades and called 3 T's on coaches and a hand full of T's on players. Why? Because I was in the right spot, I used recognizable mechanics which reduced confusion, and I talked with the players and coaches.

It is a hard job that doesn't pay enough to make up for the miles, time, uniforms, fees, etc... I did it because I loved it.

So, to all the officials out there. If  you can't get to the right spot, your mechanics are awful, and you don't talk with the players and coaches I recommend you hang it up. It is not fair to the kids to keep officiating if you don't have those abilities.

Now to the fans, you paid your money yell as loud as you want but but don't make it personal. "You stink", "Awful call ref", "I can't believe you called that", etc... all good. "You are a ___________ fill in the blank", "I can't $@#%$#@ believe that", etc... Not good and you should be tossed.

Just an Old Sports Guy stating his opinions

• Like 1