Bonds hints at missing entire season

by the way, i bet on baseball games does that make me a horrible person??? gambling is legal if you do it the right way and the only problem it can cause is for you to go broke....steroids will never be legal in anything and do enormous amounts of harm to the body down the road, not to mention the fact that they can cause death....looks pretty obvious which one would be worse.

825628026[/snapback]

It's not illegal for you to bet on baseball, though, because you don't work in baseball.

It IS illegal for me to bet on baseball, because I am one of the official scorers for the Memphis Redbirds. If I were to bet on a MLB game and get caught, I'd be suspended from that for a year (more likely, terminated altogether)...if I bet on a Redbirds game I was scoring, I would be permanently banned from baseball.

Them's the rules, and it ain't like Pete Rose didn't know them. If you control the outcome of a game, it's a major conflict of interest to bet on the outcome.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not illegal for you to bet on baseball, though, because you don't work in baseball.

It IS illegal for me to bet on baseball, because I am one of the official scorers for the Memphis Redbirds.  If I were to bet on a MLB game and get caught, I'd be suspended from that for a year (more likely, terminated altogether)...if I bet on a Redbirds game I was scoring, I would be permanently banned from baseball. 

Them's the rules, and it ain't like Pete Rose didn't know them.  If you control the outcome of a game, it's a major conflict of interest to bet on the outcome.

825628244[/snapback]

But according to you Roids to beef up the numbers are ok since they weren't against the "baseball rules" at the time. Let's forget the part about them being illegal according to federal law.

So......

Baseball rule against betting is of a higher standard and a higher ethical issue than a federal law against illegal drugs that can kill you?

:huh:

:wacko:

;)

;)

I think I'll go with my value system instead of yours.

Del (who lets his son play Texas Hold Em but won't let him take roids so he can play basketball better or cast a fishing lure further.)

Edited by DelTavian

Can't believe you guys, you say Rose was never found guilty of betting on his team, well Bonds hasn't been found guilty of using steroids. Bonds can put up his same numbers if people would actually pitch to him. Maybe he is tired of getting walked 200 plus times. You are the kind of people that like to pick out one and alienate him. Aaron had things that were bad about him, you don't want to discuss them, Ruth had many on and off the field troubles, and Rose betting on baseball is the worst thing you can do period. People said baseball would be scarred by the strike and they were wrong about that. True baseball fans will love the game, while you others just want to have something to complain about. Most people don't know all the facts on Ruth, Rose, and Bonds so they believe what they want to believe.

825627959[/snapback]

Bonds has admitted to taking steroids! He stated that he didnt know they were steroids, but we all know the truth about that! ;)

I'm in no way shape or form in the type of shape that Barry Bonds or any well tuned professional athlete is...but, I know for darn sure that I'm not going to take something that may harm me. I do see some similar traits between Barry and myself. Though I may not do steroids, I used to have a favorite food or two that might be considered bad for me to eat.

Well, I have succombed to my weakness for french fries a few times recently! O.K., I haven't been on my diet and exercise routine for a few weeks now! There, you broke me! I'm just so tired! You, you, you, you and you all did it! You wanted me to jump into that buffet line at Ci Ci's Pizza and I did - are you happy! It was my mistress - even if it was for just 40 minutes of wonderful carnage! At least I didn't buy it a house! B)

I'm in no way shape or form in the type of shape that Barry Bonds or any well tuned professional athlete is...but, I know for darn sure that I'm not going to take something that may harm me.  I do see some similar traits between Barry and myself.  Though I may not do steroids, I used to have a favorite food or two that might be considered bad for me to eat.

Well, I have succombed to my weakness for french fries a few times recently!  O.K., I haven't been on my diet and exercise routine for a few weeks now!  There, you broke me!  I'm just so tired!  You, you, you, you and you all did it!  You wanted me to jump into that buffet line at Ci Ci's Pizza and I did - are you happy!  It was my mistress - even if it was for just 40 minutes of wonderful carnage!  At least I didn't buy it a house!  :D

825628630[/snapback]

haha you're a funny guy.....Ville is still goin down to Washington though. i'd like to know more about that Vandy over Memphis prediction you made.

back to steroids....for those few people out there who dont realize that Bonds has doubled in size over the past 5 years or so, i have seen the effects of steroids first hand and i know the effects they have on a person. i know people that took shots every other day and still didnt build their body up near as fast as Bonds, McGwire, or Sosa...and these people worked out constantly. the thing that was a dead give away to me was the way Bonds acted depressed yesterday. when someone gets off of them after taking them for a long period of time they go into a deep depression for a while. believe what you want.....but once you actually know people that has took them you will see the truth.

2 more wins to go for the Tigers!

But according to you Roids to beef up the numbers are ok since they weren't against the "baseball rules" at the time. Let's forget the part about them being illegal according to federal law.

So......

Baseball rule against betting is of a higher standard and a higher ethical issue than a federal law against illegal drugs that can kill you?

:D 

B)

I think I'll go with my value system instead of yours.

825628382[/snapback]

Marijuana is illegal under federal law. Should we kick players out for pot? Amphetamines are illegal under federal law. Should we kick Hank Aaron out of the Hall for that? Assault is illegal under every state law...should we kick Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth out for that? (And those are just two examples that happened during games) Drunk driving is illegal in every state. Should we kick Babe Ruth out of the Hall?

Marijuana is illegal under federal law.  Should we kick players out for pot?  Amphetamines are illegal under federal law.  Should we kick Hank Aaron out of the Hall for that?  Assault is illegal under every state law...should we kick Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth out for that?  (And those are just two examples that happened during games)  Drunk driving is illegal in every state.  Should we kick Babe Ruth out of the Hall?

825628745[/snapback]

marijuana, assault, drunk driving??? none of these affect the way a player plays the game. if anything it would make them play worse than they are capable of.

Marijuana is illegal under federal law.  Should we kick players out for pot?  Amphetamines are illegal under federal law.  Should we kick Hank Aaron out of the Hall for that?  Assault is illegal under every state law...should we kick Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth out for that?  (And those are just two examples that happened during games)  Drunk driving is illegal in every state.  Should we kick Babe Ruth out of the Hall?

825628745[/snapback]

Keep dodging the issue. Keep living in the fantasy world.

Of course betting is the end-all-be-all big issue. Let's take Pete Rose out and shoot him. :D

Del.

haha you're a funny guy.....Ville is still goin down to Washington though. i'd like to know more about that Vandy over Memphis prediction you made.

2 more wins to go for the Tigers!

825628701[/snapback]

Not related to the topic...you so funny, you Memphis fans! :D

I changed my stance after watching the Tigers end the first half on a run that Vandy couldn't recover from.

Yeah, 2 more wins to go for the Tigers and they win the Not Invitedtotheothertournament Tournament! Whoa! Fill the trophy case with that accomplishment! :D

On a related note...steroids are legal only if prescribed by a doctor. There is only one drug or substance that is injected that is legal to purchase without a prescription - insulin. Now, if these players are getting steroids legally, then we have some doctors to bring before the judicial committee and the ADA board. BTW, Canseco is not a certified doctor.

Keep dodging the issue. Keep living in the fantasy world.

Of course betting is the end-all-be-all big issue. Let's take Pete Rose out and shoot him. :ph34r:

Del.

825628765[/snapback]

I'd rather have a player taking 20 pounds a day of steroids than a manager who owes 5 figures to the mob betting with them on his team most of the time but not every game.

And no, I don't think steroids are a good thing. Compromising the integrity of trying to win is the absolute worst thing you can do in sports.

But you're ignoring my other point. If Bonds hasn't broken any rules of MLB, why should he be banned from the Hall? If breaking a federal law is the issue, why aren't we trying to get a whole bunch of other players kicked out?

I don't know that we disreguard what Bonds, McGwire, Sosa or any of the other players that have possibly done steroids has achieved in their careers. I believe their numbers and records stand. We actually have no proof at all - other than speculation - that any of them were using at the time of setting records or putting up the numbers they have. Now, I do believe that they were on steroids or some type of supplement that would rival or is related to steroids. We can't go about this in a Judge Landis way these days. IMO, the numbers stand - tainted or not.