EGG on HIS FACE!

blue5

It is not the critic who counts: not the man that points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man that is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, great devotions,who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of great achievement and who at the worst if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his palce shall never be with those cold and timiod souls that know neither victory or defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt said it best

Edited by 82cat

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the most pathetic post that I have seen in a while. I know that everyone on here must have been a great player and that you all could have gone on and played college if only your coach had prepared you better or you were whatever. It makes me sick to think that the only way you people can make yourselves feel better is to degrade others. Oh I am sorry are those words too complicated for you. We should be proud of the accomplishments of this young man. I had the opportunity to be across the field from him and have the utmost respect for him and his brother. Good luck Matt

Guest catfish-hunter
This is the most pathetic post that I have seen in a while.  I know that everyone on here must have been a great player and that you all could have gone on and played college if only your coach had prepared you better or you were whatever.  It makes me sick to think that the only way you people can make yourselves feel better is to degrade others.  Oh I am sorry are those words too complicated for you.  We should be proud of the accomplishments of this young man.  I had the opportunity to be across the field from him and have the utmost respect for him and his brother.  Good luck Matt

825657964[/snapback]

THANK YOU!!!

It is not the critic who counts: not the man that points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man that is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without  error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, great devotions,who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of great achievement and who at the worst if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his palce shall never be with those cold and timiod souls that know neither victory or defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt said it best

825657953[/snapback]

I agree but it should be left open as a example of pettiness and jealosy. I don't know Matthew Tant but i wish him luck. I amn sure he is to busy to wrry about coach t post

This might be a NEWSFLASH for a lot of people, but:

TANT is not ever going to play 1 down of NFL football.  Signing as a free agent MOST likely means he is playing on the practice team.  There are probably 200 fullbacks better than him, including someone like Jabari Davis -- who didn't even get drafted.  You're KIDDING yourselves if you honestly think this guy is going to "make it."  I don't blame the guy for TRYING, that's not what i'm saying.  I just hope he finishes his degree because he will certainly need it.

825657344[/snapback]

Practice Squad earnings are still decent. I guess it just depends on what he has his degree in before I would make a decision though.

just to be clear, i'm not being critical of the guy for signing a free agent deal. That's fantastic! But let's be realistic. Forget high school that's about as irrelavent as saying he was good in middle school. He was a reasonably good FB on a terrible college team, his chances of making a NFL roster are just not great. He's probably more likely to be struck by lightening and bitten by a shark while claiming his $200million in lottery winnings.

just to be clear, i'm not being critical of the guy for signing a free agent deal.  That's fantastic!  But let's be realistic.  Forget high school that's about as irrelavent as saying he was good in middle school.  He was a reasonably good FB on a terrible college team, his chances of making a NFL roster are just not great.  He's probably more likely to be struck by lightening and bitten by a shark while claiming his $200million in lottery winnings.

825658057[/snapback]

He actually fits better into most NFL schemes than he did at the collegiate level. He's a 232 blocking back with good speed and great hands out of the backfield. He could probably make a roster solely as a third down back. Add on that he is a fantastic special teams player and I think his odds are pretty good. He might have played on an average college team but don't forget that he had offers to play at most schools in the SEC. Most publications had him listed as one of the top 5 or 6 fullbacks available for the draft as well.

Edited by Redtwin

Well, I'm not going to get into the merits of Harpeth's schedule when Tant was a player. Nor will I say that a Vanderbilt graduate made a stupid decision. ... Let's all just consider this: If you're going to get knocked around playing football -- and ALL football players get knocked around -- you're much better off getting paid for it than doing volunteer work (sorry about the "v" word, Vandy fans) for a team that averages about two wins a year. .... He'll be getting a nice paycheck next season while has former teammates will be sputtering to another losing record.

And, to Gerry Bertier, props on the Skyhawk logo. :P

Matthew Tant's career at Harpeth was from '97-'00. Those years Harpeth went 11-1, 10-2, 11-2, and 9-3. That is an overall record of 41-8 my friend. During that run Harpeth won the region championship each of those years and their playoff losses were to Huntingdon (twice), Milan, and McKenzie.

What are these teams, single A or double AA??

825659216[/snapback]

Those teams are AA.

Guest catfish-hunter

NWTennSports, you are absolutely correct by saying that Harpeth had a weak schedule when Tant and Co. were winning 9-10 games per year in the late-90's. Fairview was not nearly as good as Fairview of the past three years has been. Lewis Co. was decent, but that was before they went on a run of three straight region titles from 2001-2003. Houston Co. was a very average team at best and the only time they got beyond the first round of the playoffs Harpeth smacked good in round two (before the Indians eventually got smacked themselves by Huntingdon). I believe that the other teams in the region were Richland, Loretto, Stewart Co., and Waverly (who was a 3A school in '99-'00).

You made a point there, BUT it is not Harpeth's fault that those teams were on the schedule. The TSSAA makes the regions Harpeth did not go out and start hand selecting potato cans to be in their weak region. Harpeth's non-region schedule at the time was Cheatham Co., Marshall Co., and Page. In '99-'02 I'd say that Marshall Co. could have competed with just about anyone in 3A. Page was a state smifinalist in 3A back in '97-'98. In '99 the Patriots were were 11-1 losing in the second round of the playoffs after a perfect season, so they were pretty good. Those three games is where Harpeth got their competition for a potential playoff push, which always seemed to end against Huntingdon and Milan (who are both powerhouses).

I don't have a clue about who this guy is but for all you people talking about him, where did you play after school? You talk like Vany is bethune-Cookman or something. D1 is still D1, whether it's Vandy or Southern Cal. Plus I can guarentee you that a degree from Vandy has a little more pull than one from UT.