Maryville vs. Alcoa

Rebel Nation

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

The whole concept of a "rivalry game" is based upon some kind of non-verbal agreement between schools and players.  Whether Alcoa NEVER beats Maryville or whether Maryville NEVER beats Alcoa -- that doesn't matter.  It's a rivalry between PLAYERS (and the community).  The towns literally touch one another and people who live in Maryville work in Alcoa -- vise versa.  The community is essentially the same conglomerate of people divided by civil boundaries.  It's not like Brazil vs. Argentina in soccer.  The record is only indicative of friends (and families) who, by chance, play for the other side.  It's mostly friendly except for ONE day of the year.  It should be embraced and bring people together; not dividing.  The Alcoa vs. Maryville rivalry is what high school football should be about.

825686607[/snapback]

I agree with your post 100%

I think Heritage and William Blount should play Alcoa every year.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be yet another war. In reference to the "you ought to never lose to a 2A team" slant, growing up we never heard that one because I was 16 the first time I ever saw MHS lose to Alcoa. Alcoa has had some very good teams and I am still friends with a lot of them, but the vast majority of the games have been very tight because the players have typically been evenly matched. The size of the school has little to do with the size and speed of the players.

The whole concept of a "rivalry game" is based upon some kind of non-verbal agreement between schools and players.  Whether Alcoa NEVER beats Maryville or whether Maryville NEVER beats Alcoa -- that doesn't matter.  It's a rivalry between PLAYERS (and the community).  The towns literally touch one another and people who live in Maryville work in Alcoa -- vise versa.  The community is essentially the same conglomerate of people divided by civil boundaries.  It's not like Brazil vs. Argentina in soccer.  The record is only indicative of friends (and families) who, by chance, play for the other side.  It's mostly friendly except for ONE day of the year.  It should be embraced and bring people together; not dividing.  The Alcoa vs. Maryville rivalry is what high school football should be about.

825686607[/snapback]

Good post I agree.

I would like for Heritage and WB to play Alcoa as well. I have heard there has been a sportsmanship issue between the schools during the games. This may have been a factor. Alcoa is riding high with the current stable of players they have but I don't think they will beat Maryville anytime soon. The Reb's this year will be one of the strongest defensive teams to be there in a few years IMO, and will limit everyone to points and yards. Just watch.

[quote=alcoasportsguy22,Jun 3 2005 - 05:13 PM]

Alcoa, no question.

825686446[/snapback]

Yep.......that's what you Alcoa fans have said the last three years and then were solidly beaten by the Red Rebels each year. If it happens I will give you credit but until it does your arrogant comments are nothing but fodder for comedy.

825686489[/snapback]

I will be assuming my regular position beneath the goal posts in front of "Coach O's" house. Bag of popcorn and a coke.....chearing for all the good plays. I hope it is very close. I win either way.

[/color]

I will be assuming my regular position beneath the goal posts in front of "Coach O's" house. Bag of popcorn and a coke.....chearing for all the good plays. I hope it is very close. I win either way.

825687250[/snapback]

Rebelsman duz the concession stand at AHS sell popcorn in the big five gallon tins.....you know like they have at Big Lots around Christmas?

Go Rebs.

• 1 month later...
Alcoa and Maryville is one of the most talked about games in the state every year. As soon as the game is over they are talking about next years game. I can't wait to be at alcoa on august 26th seeing alcoa and maryville pop pads. I do believe alcoa has the talent this year to pull it out, but you think about it maryville never loses big, so don't expect it to be a blowout. I do see alcoa getting ahead early though and pulling this oen out.

I must say at first I thought it was pretty even because Maryville no matter how good the other team they face is, is always ready to play. When Alcoa got Shiverdecker I thoguht OK Alcoa has the edge but then after hearing about the Maryville OR scrimmage my opinion changed back to even....wish I could watch this game or that it was on TV so i could record it.