Mikie Minor

FHSFAN

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one thing to want to win a big baseball game, but I would be a little more concerned about my future as a pitcher than I am winning a game that in reality will end up being a meaningless game down the road. This kid is more than likely going to get offers from just about any school he wants to go to if he can take care of that arm. Colleges don't want damaged goods. 126 pitches and 10 innings is getting VERY close to taking it to the limit. I just heard Peter Gammons the other day commenting on Mark Prior and all the arm troubles he is having today in his career with the Chicago Cubs. He said that Prior did most of the damage to his arm by throwing way too much and too often on little rest in his high school and college days. He probably felt fine after he pitched but had no idea that he was actually doing damage to his arm. I would say Peter Gammons knows a little bit about baseball.

I have seen Mikie Minor pitch several games over the years and he certainly will be a major catch for some college team. I bet his senior year will be fantastic and I hope I get to see him pitch again. While I know 126 pitches is a lot, it was only 12.6 pitches per inning. I know a lot of pitchers are averaging close to 20 pitches per inning so with his rest between innings, I think Mikie will be fine on Friday. Good luck Forrest and I hope you make the state.

Coach Hardison does not over use Minor. The shortest amount of rest time for Mikie between starts this year has been four days. He knows his limitatons and will not damage his future for satisfaction in the present. He had some arm problems as a freshman and was shut down for most of the year. After some changes with his mechanics those problems were solved. Skelley didn't pitch at all last year after arm problems. I am certain that Coach Hardison would not intentially overthrow any of his pitchers. As far as throwing 126 pitches, at this point in the season I think it's up to the pitcher. I talked with Minor after the game and he said his arm was fine. He said if he had any problems he would have pulled himself out.

"As far as throwing 126 pitches, at this point in the season I think it's up to the pitcher."

If the pitcher is under 18 years old, I'd say it would be up to the parent imho. A coach should have a pitch count and not go over it by too much according to the situation (maybe for a situation where you need one more out).

I know some have the opinion that most of these kids will just grow up and work in a factory anyway, might as well have fun now. I disagree. Take care of your body and this goes for coaches too who throw too much bp :^)

"As far as throwing 126 pitches, at this point in the season I think it's up to the pitcher."

If the pitcher is under 18 years old, I'd say it would be up to the parent imho.  A coach should have a pitch count and not go over it by too much according to the situation (maybe for a situation where you need one more out). 

I know some have the opinion that most of these kids will just grow up and work in a factory anyway, might as well have fun now.  I disagree.  Take care of your body and this goes for coaches too who throw too much bp  :^)

825676510[/snapback]

Lets see here....126 pitches plus 80 warm ups (8/start of each inning) plus about 30 to 40 prior to game....That equals about 236 to 246 pitches if my old brain still calculates properly. Too many!

Lets see here....126 pitches plus 80 warm ups (8/start of each inning) plus about 30 to 40 prior to game....That equals about 236 to 246 pitches if my old brain still calculates properly.  Too many!

825676515[/snapback]

Thanks for clearing up what I tried to say Old Timer.

It was one start folks, ONE START!!! I doubt the Forrest coaches pitch him a 126 pitches every outing. Monday was a do or die game, and if Minor wanted to stay in let him. He knows his body and his limitations. You say he is too young to make his own decision about his body, that is crazy. Everyone needs to calm down and give Minor and his coaches a break. I know Minor takes care of his arm very well during the season and it is May and 80 degree weather, pitchers love this weather cause it keeps their arms loose.

Lets see here....126 pitches plus 80 warm ups (8/start of each inning) plus about 30 to 40 prior to game....That equals about 236 to 246 pitches if my old brain still calculates properly.  Too many!

825676515[/snapback]

Good point; however, your off by about 30 pitches. A pitcher only gets 8 before the 1st batter he faces. After that its 5 per inning. Also, in a situation like this a pitcher doesn't necessarily even throw 5. Most don't throw with much velocity during warmups in games like this. With that said, 126 pitches is over doing it for any HS kid.