Top RB's In TN

turf_master_s2s

Well, Lindsey set a state record for TD's this year, with 43, and rushed for a little over 2,300 yds and had near 3,000 all- purpose yards. He's on a team with, arguably the best QB in the state who had around 2,500 yds through the air, and the best player in the state (Warren) who had near 1,000 yards receiving. There are two other receivers (Kyrus Lanxter and Brian Sommer) who had 25 and 19 receptions for 500 and 400 yds respectfully. So, if you noticed he doesn't get all the work. Alcoa spreads it around on the ground and through the air. Plus Lindsey does all this in the 1st half of the games.

When you see the stats Lindsey's production in only half of every game is incredible. I think the only games Lindsey fully played were Maryville, William Blount, and Huntingdon. He was only held to less than 100 yds twice, and still had 81 against Maryville and 65 against Heritage, (who by the way, solely focused on stopping Lindsey, and they paid when Fiegler burned them with 225 through the air). Lindsey's an incredible back, Rivals doesn't have him #1 in the state for nothing.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to understand something about recruiting for it to make sense. Because UT does not have Tennessee recruits locked down they have to fight like crazy to pull athletes from other states. Kids naturally have an interest in the in-state schools and they are always easier to get. UT makes a habit out of fight tooth and claw for a 3 star athlete from another state, but will neglect the instate 3 star player who is sitting in their back yard. UT will spend countless resources trying to woo a player from South Carolina who has mild interest in them, all the while they have a player rated the same in their own state. We all know that Tennessee is not a hotbed of recruiting when it comes to the national scene, but on average  they put out 5-6 prospects a year that are highly recruited. The state of Tennessee usually puts out 8-12 three star or higher athletes, those who know recruiting know that it is very rare for a 3 star athlete to go recruited by a D1 school. Out of the 5-6 highly recruited players, UT lands 2-3 each year, out of the 8-12 3 star or higher athletes, UT lands anywhere from 6-8. Now in the grand scheme of things, 12 players who are actually considered good prospects, is a low number. It is very important that teams land the few players they have, because there are so few highly rated players in most states to begin with. For UT not to land most, if not all of the 5-6 highly recruited in-state players is a travesty.

Take last year for an example, there were 7 top level players from Tennessee whose rating ranged from the #1 prospect at his position to #34. Out of the 7 players, UT signed 3. There were also 5 other prospects who were rated at 3 stars or higher, UT signed 4. The year before there were only 2 top level prospects, UT signed 1 of the 2. There were 10 other players who were rated at 3 stars or higher, UT signed 3. The year before that there were 5 top level prospects, UT signed 2. That year there were 9 other 3 star prospects, UT signed 2. So in 3 years UT had 22 in-state players sign with other schools. (If you want to check all this out for yourself, head over to scout.com)

Now don`t take this as an attack on UT recruiting as a whole, it is only about how they deal with in-state players. UT does a great job of overall recruiting, but they snub a lot of very good players from their own state, forcing them to sign with other schools. There ARE good prospects to be had in-state whether you want to believe it or not. Why UT decides to let good players go to other teams is beyond me, but the teams that do sign them send big thank you cards to UT every year.

BTW, while we`re on the subject of recruiting I`ll add that UT has had as many out of state players come in and turn out to be busts, as the ones who have left Tennessee to play elsewhere and became busts.

825691879[/snapback]

Why would UT want to take a 3-star player from Tennessee when they can go to another state and get a 5-star player. Point is, UT recruits the best kids in the NATION.

Two points:

1) Tennessee does recruit the players that they deem to be the best in the state, but these kids are also being recruited by the other top schools. Many choose to go elsewhere due to who is already there, potential to play in a particular system, academics, or a host of other reasons. If your favorite player is not being recruited by the mighty Vols, it's because the staff there doesn't think they are good enough. Period. They're probably right.

2) Saying a running back is great because they have run for a zillion yards is like saying a certain pitcher is great because they have a low ERA. It's about who you play against that validates those statistics. It's why football scouts carry stopwatches and baseball scouts carry radar guns. The NFL has a combine every year to test athleticism as well as other attributes that lead to success. They can't, and don't go by how many yards someone ran for in college.

Well, Lindsey set a state record for TD's this year, with 43, and rushed for a little over 2,300 yds and had near 3,000 all- purpose yards.  He's on a team with, arguably the best QB in the state who had around 2,500 yds through the air, and the best player in the state (Warren) who had near 1,000 yards receiving.  There are two other receivers (Kyrus Lanxter and Brian Sommer) who had 25 and 19 receptions for 500 and 400 yds respectfully.  So, if you noticed he doesn't get all the work.  Alcoa spreads it around on the ground and through the air.  Plus Lindsey does all this in the 1st half of the games.

When you see the stats Lindsey's production in only half of every game is incredible.  I think the only games Lindsey fully played were Maryville, William Blount, and Huntingdon.  He was only held to less than 100 yds twice, and still had 81 against Maryville and 65 against Heritage, (who by the way, solely focused on stopping Lindsey, and they paid when Fiegler burned them with 225 through the air).  Lindsey's an incredible back, Rivals doesn't have him #1 in the state for nothing.

825691919[/snapback]

One other complete game you left out Tom ..... David Lipscomb. Dustin toted the ball 39 times for a career high 273 yards. :lol:

Why would UT want to take a 3-star player from Tennessee when they can go to another state and get a 5-star player. 

825691969[/snapback]

But they don`t do that, they take 3 star and even 2 star kids over in-state kids who play the same position. If you think UT's classes, or any other team for that matter, is made up soley of 4/5 star recruits you have badly misjudged who well UT recruits. There are only 25-30 five star recruits in the whole country, teams are lucky to land 5. Every team has to take 3 star guys, in fact thats where the bulk of kids come from. Scouts and recruiters make their living off the 3 star guys. UT chooses to take athletes from other states, which is why Eric Brackins had to go to Michigan, Chad Pennington went to Marshall, the Bullocks brothers went to Nebraska, Steven Ross went to Auburn, the list goes on and on of good players who UT let go to other teams where they become sucessful.

But they don`t do that, they take 3 star and even 2 star kids over in-state kids who play the same position. If you think UT's classes, or any other team for that matter, is made up soley of 4/5 star recruits you have badly misjudged who well UT recruits. There are only 25-30 five star recruits in the whole country, teams are lucky to land 5. Every team has to take 3 star guys, in fact thats where the bulk of kids come from. Scouts and recruiters make their living off the 3 star guys. UT chooses to take athletes from other states, which is why Eric Brackins had to go to Michigan, Chad Pennington went to Marshall, the Bullocks brothers went to Nebraska, Steven Ross went to Auburn, the list goes on and on of good players who UT let go to other teams where they become sucessful.

825692099[/snapback]

First, Tennessee gets who they want to get and they do this because they know what they want. It is their jobs and they are darn good at it. Second, when you throw Chad Pennington into players they haven't recruited that they SHOULD have you are wrong. Coming out of high school Chad was lucky to get a Scholy from Marshall he was getting mostly DII offers. Also, he was no where close to being ready for the SEC at roughly 170 lbs. Chad wasn't good in college until late in his career when he had Randy Moss. Pennington himself has said he didn't deserve an offer from UT (Manning and Martin were on the team) and has worked extremely hard to get where he is.

Next, you can say UT is miising out on a lot of the best in-state prospects but look at Dardin and Cozart two of the most highly rated players to enter UT both flops.

What I am trying to say is you never know. The only two star player UT signed this year was out of Miami and is a WR Ulysses Alexander. Alexander was a huge pickup for UT, he is a big WR who was hurt for the entire SR. year, but had a big JR. year. He would have been a four star player if not for the injury these are the special cases that UT will look at and evaluate and decide. Time will tell with Alexander, but I would rather risk a Ship on him rather than a A Star from Tennessee saying Alexander's competition is much better down in Miami.

The bottom line for me is this, when Jennings and Stewart are burning UT for TD's this year the coaches will regret not having them in orange. Vandy was very close to beating UT last year because of Jeff's 2 TD's, and I expect him and the rest of the Vandy offense to give UT fits for years. Take away Jeff's TD's and UT wins with ease, I promise you Phil was kicking himself when Jeff ran over his defense on that 2nd TD run. 8 carries, 2 TD's against UT was enough to show everyone that Jeff belongs in the SEC and UT made a huge mistake. Imgine what will happen when Jeff gets 20 carries a game, and a full season of starting under his belt. I expect Carl Stewart to give UT just as much trouble when they play Auburn.

I will be smiling all the way <_<

825692099[/snapback]

Then how the heck did UT have the #1 recruiting class in the nation this year? They got a lot more 4 & 5 star players than you insist.

I don't think Fulmer regrets not getting Jennings. No matter how many TD's he scores against UT, Vandy won't beat UT while he's there. Remember it's been 23 years since Vandy beat us.

The bottom line for me is this, when Jennings and Stewart are burning UT for TD's this year the coaches will regret not having them in orange. Vandy was very close to beating UT last year because of Jeff's 2 TD's, and I expect him and the rest of the Vandy offense to give UT fits for years. Take away Jeff's TD's and UT wins with ease, I promise you Phil was kicking himself when Jeff ran over his defense on that 2nd TD run. 8 carries, 2 TD's against UT was enough to show everyone that Jeff belongs in the SEC and UT made a huge mistake. Imgine what will happen when Jeff gets 20 carries a game, and a full season of starting under his belt. I expect Carl Stewart to give UT just as much trouble when they play Auburn.

I will be smiling all the way :lol:

825692113[/snapback]

Talk about delusional. <_<