How Good will Jeff County be this year?

ScoutOne4U

Yeah, well you have to keep the folks from getting the thread deleted, that would make it easier to keep a thread going.

825699646[/snapback]

I believe Jeff Co will struggle a little this year (finish in the middle of the conference at best). However, if they can get one upset victory, maybe Camp. Co, and not have any big let downs (Karns 2004), they have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs. My concern, like most peoples, will be the O-line and QB. Not saying they are not capable of being good players, but there is obviously a lack of experience. Good luck to the '05 Pats.

RaiderRay,

this is off topic, but have you heard anything about Cox @ Central?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone told me they were scrimmaging some team from Carter Co.  Passing league game that is.  Maybe they are wrong.  Good luck to the Patriots this year.

825700162[/snapback]

Jefferson County scrimmaged Knox Carter in a seven on seven passing scrimmage. Once at JCHS and once at Carter. They had a seven on seven

scrimmage with Knox West, but they( Knox West) backed out. If there are any more seven on seven scrimmages, thats without pads, i don't know of them.

I agree Sandman. Being a supporter of the program, I know what lies ahead of this team and the only thing they are going to need is encouragement. I mean, I've never heard of a 5A high school football team having only 3 seniors playing. I think it is ridiculous and that Euverard couldn't have possibly run ALL of them off. I think some have developed attitudes and pride issues thats they can't get beyond. Regardless, what's done is done. We'll see what happens when the first game rolls around. I see a long season ahead for the PAtriots. We'll just have to sit and ride out the storm.

Jefferson County scrimmaged Knox Carter in a seven on seven passing scrimmage. Once at JCHS and once at Carter. They had a seven on seven

scrimmage with Knox West, but they( Knox West) backed out. If there are any more seven on seven scrimmages, thats without pads, i don't know of them.

825700253[/snapback]

Is there still going to be a full team scrimmage against Knox West in the fall?

Edited by JC4life

How did the 7  on 7 go?  Who did what?  Have the Patriots found a good QB yet?  Good luck to the Patriots.

825700429[/snapback]

I saw both 7 on 7 sessions vs Carter.

It is obvious that JC will use the run to set up the pass. Almost 99% of the throws were off of play action.(run fakes are not effective in passing drills)

I hope the Patriots can get ahead or stay close in most games, because they will not be a come from behind team if multiple scores are required.

The secondary looked OK. Brent Acuff is the leader there....good instincts that make for an effective corner. It appears that there are some open positions at FS and SS, depending on who gets the QB job. Overall team speed is good considering the youthful starters. I think its a good move to put Reliford at LB....speed kills !! Soloman will be missed but others are ready to step in.

I predict that Nick Sherrod will play receiver and start at FS. He is a great athlete but his throwng motion is not grooved yet and he can help us too much at receiver....he might be the go to receiver since he was the only receiver who caught a pass longer than 20 yards.

Depending on who wins the QB job, will affect the SS position.

Spencer Gatlin didn't get many reps although he looked good throwing the ball.,,, maybe the best of all QB's . Either Coach U saw enough of him in spring for an accessment (positive or negative) or he really feels like Long or McFall can get the job done. Long got alot more reps than McFall. Zac looked pretty good the first session but didn't fare to well in the 2nd. He has a good motion but he sometimes rushes him self. I'm not sure how fast he is.

McFall, has the advantage in speed and thus can get to the corner better. His arm is good for a freshman, but not quite ready for 5A varsity although it is better than what we had last year. I think Zac will get the starting job, but don't be surprised when McFall gets some time at QB. I think Coach U wants to run alot more option this year to get Shivy out on the corner and that could determine the starter. It might be too much to expect a freshman to be ready to start at QB. The current Patriot offense would make this more likely since it can develop as the QB does. Shivadecker is a luxury that makes the QB position more of a toss up.

Either Long or McFall will play SS, depending on the QB result. One is a soph and the other is a freshman so the future looks good for awhile at these key positions.

I was out last week and I come back and can't find the other thread, has it been closed? I did get a chance to pull it up one day and did not like what I was reading. While I was reading it my son read it as well.

My son plays for the Patriots and after about 10 minutes of reading it he walked away very hurt and angry. Trust me these kids know what challenge lies ahead for them but that's the cards that's been dealt to them. What made him so mad was that everyone has already given up on them. Also a comment was made that there is no leadership on the team. He said " Dad I haven't seen 1 person in the weight room but players and coaches so how can they say that?" Someone want to answer that? Not to me but to the kids?! True there are very few Seniors on this team, my son being one, but that does not mean there isn't leadership.

As far as players quitting or being "ran off", true that has taken a toll as well. But this is my take on it not my son's. Every kid that has quit or been "run off" made that decision. It was their decision to make and theirs alone, true some may of thought they had no other options. My son wants to play ball and he knows that to do that he has to play for the Coach who is in charge so regardless of what may be said or done by a coach or other players he has to stick it out to play.

I realize this is a message board for people to give their opinions and vent frustrations, I've done it as well on topics but at the same time these kids that we are talking about or as some say in the best interest of the kids and program may and do read Coach T. I'm not saying this just because my son is on the team but it does sting a little more because he is. I urge you to think about that before you post what you don't know and if it is fact, which some of it is, maybe it doesn't pertain to all players. Just keep that in mind before you it the keypad.

Patriot supporter regardless!!!!!!!

825699749[/snapback]

Leadership is not just showing up in the weight room. Its alot more.

Your lucky if you find yourself on a team that has good leadership.

True leaders know the temperature of the team, they know who's hurting, who needs a kick in the butt and what to do about it. They have the respect of the coach and the players and keep the communication open.

Most High School teams are not going to have an abundance of leadership.

IF JCHS did, then I don't think that you would have such low numbers out for football. Maybe we are unfair to the current senior class and the real problem was last year or the year before....but when you get it, you know it and you follow it.

Maybe your son shouldn't take comments so personnally ke them as a challenge to make changes in the current mentallity and make a difference....

IF he does, he is truly a LEADER.

I saw both 7 on 7 sessions vs Carter.

It is obvious that JC will use the run to set up the pass.  Almost 99% of the throws were off of play action.(run fakes are  not effective in passing drills)

I hope the Patriots can get ahead or  stay close in most games, because they will not be a come from behind team if multiple scores are required.

The secondary looked OK.  Brent Acuff is the leader there....good instincts  that make for an effective corner.  It appears that there are some open positions at FS and SS, depending on who gets the QB job.  Overall team speed is good considering the youthful starters.  I think its a good move to put Reliford at LB....speed kills !!  Soloman will be missed but others are ready to step in.

I predict that Nick Sherrod will play receiver and start at FS.  He is a great athlete but his throwng motion is not  grooved yet and he can help us too much at receiver....he might be the go to receiver since he was the only receiver who caught a pass longer than 20 yards.

Depending on who wins the QB job, will affect the SS position.

Spencer Gatlin didn't get many reps although he looked good throwing the ball.,,, maybe the best of all QB's . Either Coach U saw enough of him in spring  for an accessment (positive or negative) or he really feels like Long  or McFall can get the job done.  Long got alot more reps than McFall.  Zac looked pretty good the first session but didn't fare to well in the 2nd.  He has a good motion but he sometimes rushes him self.  I'm not sure how fast he is.

McFall, has the advantage in speed and thus can get to the corner better.  His arm is good for a freshman, but not quite ready for 5A varsity although it is better than what we had last year.  I think Zac will get the starting job, but don't be surprised when McFall gets some time at QB.  I think Coach U wants to run alot more option this year  to get Shivy out on the corner and that could determine the starter.  It might be too much to expect a freshman to be ready to start at QB.  The current Patriot offense would make this more likely since it can develop as the QB does.  Shivadecker is a luxury that makes the QB position more of a toss up.

Either Long or McFall will play SS, depending on the QB result. One is a soph and the other is a freshman so the future looks good for awhile at these key positions.

825702289[/snapback]

Great report on the passing scrimmages. I had hoped Sherrod would play QB, but I figured he was too good of an athlete to stick at QB(if thats possible). Nick is a good fit at WR, but only if we plan on throwing the ball. Having Sherrod and Acuff gives us a good mix of speed and hands, having Dallas at WR would give us a great recieving crops, but no sense crying over spilled milk huh? Is Dejuan Harris not at one of the safety spots anymore? I know they had him at FS in the spring, and it looked like a good fit. I find it hard to believe that we would have a sophmore at a position where he`d have to get the defense set and get everyone into the right position. I`m surprised to hear that Gattlin didn`t get more reps at QB, but like you said I think coach U already knows what he has in Spencer. I can`t believe Spencer would just get kicked to 3rd string, after starting JV and being 2nd string varsity.

i think the pats will do fair this year, if shiverdecker stays healthy and has a good o-line, he should break some records! but a team wont win a lot of games with one player! and i know there are many good players on the team. and i do know they wont have to worry about mo-west this year! ive been watching thim for the last couple of years and talking to a lot of mo-west folks, and they are ready for a change! last years record was a disappointment and woods told the tribune the truth, that he was responsable for the poor showing! they had about 7 players that was a big part of the state championship run team, and woods coaching couldnt even win the conf with them! now those players are gone and all he has left is mostly his favs and some up and comeing sophs! but anyway, i see the pats doing well this year and i will support them!! go pats!!!!!!

Great report on the passing scrimmages. I had hoped Sherrod would play QB, but I figured he was too good of an athlete to stick at QB(if thats possible). Nick is a good fit at WR, but only if we plan on throwing the ball. Having Sherrod and Acuff gives us a good mix of speed and hands, having Dallas at WR would give us a great recieving crops, but no sense crying over spilled milk huh? Is Dejuan Harris not at one of the safety spots anymore? I know they had him at FS in the spring, and it looked like a good fit. I find it hard to believe that we would have a sophmore at a position where he`d have to get the defense set and get everyone into the right position. I`m surprised to hear that Gattlin didn`t get more reps at QB, but like you said I think coach U already knows what he has in Spencer. I can`t believe Spencer would just get kicked to 3rd string, after starting JV and being 2nd string varsity.

825702383[/snapback]

I'm sure Coach U is looking at all possibilities. Dejuan was used mainly as a receiver and didn't see much action at DB. Maybe the same case as Spencer. Already been there, seen that. JC is a run first, pass 2nd team and that is why I think Nick will start at FS and play receiver on passing situations.

Spencer looks great throwing but his accuracy is questionable. He is a good kid but he has at least one bad knee and thus his quickness and speed is sub-par. Sounds familiar....like last year. If you want to open things up for Shivy, you need someone who can run the option and get out on the corner. If Zac can get out on the corner the job is his, if not, McFall might be the guy. I heard that McFall is already one of the top 3 or 4 fastest guys on the team. Like I said earlier, Shivy gives us the luxury of bringing a QB along. as long as he is mobile/quick...keeping it simple such as bootlegs, sprint outs, play action short passes, throw long down the sideline.....I don't think your going to see any drop back with a deep post down the middle this year.

But if our QB comes along on the option and sprint outs, Shivy's production will be consistent thru out the year as team will have more to worry about than just him.

Shivy is a great decoy and will make the QB better, no matter who it is.

I don't think your going to see any drop back with a deep post down the middle this year.

825702576[/snapback]

Whats ironic is that Pewitt was criticized for not having a strong arm, but that was our most successful passing play last year, 3-3 all big gains if I remember correctly.

If you want to open things up for Shivy, you need someone who can run the option and get out on the corner. If Zac can get out on the corner the job is his, if not, McFall might be the guy. I heard that McFall is already one of the top 3 or 4 fastest guys on the team. Like I said earlier, Shivy gives us the luxury of bringing a QB along. as long as he is mobile/quick...keeping it simple such as bootlegs, sprint outs, play action short passes, throw long down the sideline

Bootlegs and play action passes should be deadly this year. I`m not a big fan of the 2 QB system but I`ve seen it work in high school. If a team does a good job of scouting they`ll know that McFall is coming in to run option, bootlegs, ect and Zac is the primary passer and be prepared for it. The play calling simply must be more balanced than last year. Teams are going to load the box early in games this year unlike late in game like last year. We need to be at 60-40%/70-30% run instead of 90-10% or the offense will struggle. Just throwing a pass every series will keep the defense more honest than they were last year. Passes don`t even have to be completed to have an effect, just get the SS(and opposing coach) thinking. The 2nd half of the DB will be the blueprint of what we`ll see all year from opposing defenses.