Roger Herndon denied Vandy entrance

CoachT

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he should just go ahead and play for Austin Peay. He could probably be a star there wouldn't have to worry about academic troubles since obviously he is a good student. With those numbers, he would probably be an average student at Vanderbilt, but at AP, he would probably be one of the top students.

Aren't people forgetting that since he was NOT going to Vanderbilt on an athletic scholarship, he was just an average student trying to get in to Vandy. Students with his academic achievements come a dime a dozen. If he was offered athletic scholarship, then turned down, then i would believe something wasnt right. But please people. Think about it.

Maybe he should just go ahead and play for Austin Peay. He could probably be a star there wouldn't have to worry about academic troubles since obviously he is a good student. With those numbers, he would probably be an average student at Vanderbilt, but at AP, he would probably be one of the top students.

825696806[/snapback]

Having a relative that was valedictorian of another high school a couple of years ago, he scored a high ACT, but was not an athlete. He was given a Vandy academic scholarship, but was telling me that the Vanderbilt really looks at a well-rounded student for scholarships....that are involved in leadership, community service as well as good grades. No offense to Roger, I know from the yearbook that he was a member of clubs but how active was he in them? Could focusing so intensely on football (i.e, dropping basketball to do so) have hurt him his academic profile? I understand his reasoning in doing so thinking an athletic scholarship would be offered (I thought so too). In it coming down to academics, I heard at graduation that he got a Presidential scholarship from Austin Peay (minimum of 20 ACT and 3.0 GPA according to AP's website in varying amounts), but I am sure when it came down to the "big picture" for Vandy, they are much tougher on their academic scholarship reviews.

I'm curious too as WHY Roger doesn't play for AP? I would think that game situations would be the best work-outs, and practicing against lesser-opposition at a smaller college would be the best way to get collegiate playing experience, preparing him to play against SEC opponents next year with Vandy.

Greenbrier[/url]Cat2' date='Jul 3 2005 - 01:35 AM']Having a relative that was valedictorian of another high school a couple of years ago, he scored a high ACT, but was not an athlete.  He was given a Vandy academic scholarship, but was telling me that the Vanderbilt really looks at a well-rounded student for scholarships....that are involved in leadership, community service as well as good grades.  No offense to Roger, I know from the yearbook that he was a member of clubs but how active was he in them?  Could focusing so intensely on football (i.e, dropping basketball to do so) have hurt him his academic profile?  I understand his reasoning in doing so thinking an athletic scholarship would be offered (I thought so too).  In it coming down to academics, I heard at graduation that he got a Presidential scholarship from Austin Peay (minimum of 20 ACT and 3.0 GPA according to AP's website in varying amounts), but I am sure when it came down to the "big picture" for Vandy, they are much tougher on their academic scholarship reviews. 

I'm curious too as WHY Roger doesn't play for AP?  I would think that game situations would be the best work-outs, and practicing against lesser-opposition at a smaller college would be the best way to get collegiate playing experience, preparing him to play against SEC opponents next year with Vandy.

825696923[/snapback]

If he plays it will cost him a year of eligibility. If he doesn't play...he will have 4 years of eligibility at another school.

Aren't people forgetting that since he was NOT going to Vanderbilt on an athletic scholarship, he was just an average student trying to get in to Vandy.  Students with his academic achievements come a dime a dozen.  If he was offered athletic scholarship, then turned down, then i would believe something wasnt right. But please people. Think about it.

825696886[/snapback]

I'm glad someone else finally sees this, too. Everyone seems to be quick to put the blame on Vandy football, and this has nothing to do with them.

Daunic also mentioned on the radio he was going to Austin Peay for a year. He did not say he will play football, did not say he will not play. It wasn't discussed.

This may be to increase his test scores and entry potential to try again.

Daunic made it clear that Bobby Johnson had no problems letting Herndon walk on, but he was not going to offer him a scholarship. That left things in the hands of the academic admissions process, and he was denied.

if Roger's grades can't get him in to Vandy than i cant see how the running back from Riverdale could possibly get in

825697005[/snapback]

Its already been explained! Roger was treated like any normal student who apply's for admission because he was not offered a scholorship. The running back from Riverdale (even though i dont know what kind of grades he makes) will be admitted as a athlete and will have a easier time getting in because he is scholorship.

Just remember this is a football board.

How did any talk of Vanderbilt get on here? :)

He sounds like a great kid and trust me he will do well and be succesful if he never plays another down of football for Vanderbilt or anybody else for that matter.

If you are a player that want a top flight education and huge step for the future to be successful then Vanderbilt will be the place to go.

I hear fans all the time say " why did he choose Vanderbilt?" Well how about to get a great educational exeprience.

And that my friends is the dilemma for Vandy. They have a lot of players that want that education but are they that committed to football when all is said and done?

No offense to anyone, but a 27 on the ACT, is a little bit weak. Granted its still good, but not Vandy good. You gotta atleast get a 30 to get looks by Vandy, and really anyone who works hard enough in high school can pull a 3.98 or better, especially in some Tennessee high schools. My cousin had higher than a 4.0 at Cumberland County High School, but when she got to college, Maryville College, she couldn't cut it...it was too hard. She had all the connections in high school and the classes were easy anyway, but in college she had to do all the work for herself and she couldn't make the grade.

No offense to anyone, but a 27 on the ACT, is a little bit weak.  Granted its still good, but not Vandy good.  You gotta atleast get a 30 to get looks by Vandy, and really anyone who works hard enough in high school can pull a 3.98 or better, especially in some Tennessee high schools.  My cousin had higher than a 4.0 at Cumberland County High School, but when she got to college, Maryville College, she couldn't cut it...it was too hard.  She had all the connections in high school and the classes were easy anyway, but in college she had to do all the work for herself and she couldn't make the grade.

825697341[/snapback]

? is a 27 "a little bit weak" or is it "grtanted it is till good"

There have been many many folks that have attended Vandy and graduated with less than a 27 act and there have been many that have attende vandy with a higher act and failed. The point is an ACT score as noted by the very people that make the test is only to be used as one "guideline" of a students predicted academic success it was never designed to be used as it is now.