No Sports for Jackson-Madison County Schools?

cofo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Threatening sports and bus service is the easy way to pass an increase in property taxes so folks don't have to feel that heat.

I love politicians.......NOT! ;) 

They remind me of 'hookers'.  The only difference is the hookers are honest and up front about what they will charge and what they are gonna do to you! :P

825701113[/snapback]

:D

The only talk about sports in regard to this burdget cut is that the coaches of the sports teams might not be paid the extra money that they are paid to coach. That has been the only talk involving sports. The commission has said that coaches salaries could be provided by booster clubs.

Now IMO this budget cut is a load of bull. We shouldnt be having to make these, and we wouldnt have to make these if the county commission actually raised the property taxes for the first time in 13 years, but they dont want to do that bc half of the people on that board own alot of commercial property and that would cause them to pay alot more money or they have kids in private schools so they are not to worried about the public school kids.Just my opinion.

If football is eliminated in Jackson-Madison County Schools, USJ might suddenly become a contender in Region 7AA. Don't think it will happen but it would open the door for all the players to go to a Private School without losing eligibility. I know for a fact that the phone has been ringing off the hook @ the USJ enrollment office since the funding battle has become heated. There is no doubt that the Privates in Jackson will gain a lot of students this Fall regardless of the results of Monday's Commission Meeting.

As it currently stands, booster clubs could not pay the salaries of coaches. Nor could they be paid from the individual sports school account. Folks, this is dead serious. The republicans on the county commission are pure evil and in my opinion, very anti public shcools. It will also apparantly be illegal for the coaches to coach for free as well.

Almost 200 jobs are on the line. The showdown is Monday at Liberty. The meeting begins at 6pm. Better get there at least one hour early to even get a seat. This could prove to be a very rowdy meeting.

As it currently stands, booster clubs could not pay the salaries of coaches.  Nor could they be paid from the individual sports school account.  Folks, this is dead serious.  The republicans on the county commission are pure evil and in my opinion, very anti public shcools.  It will also apparantly be illegal for the coaches to coach for free as well. 

Almost 200 jobs are on the line.  The showdown is Monday at Liberty.  The meeting begins at 6pm.  Better get there at least one hour early to even get a seat.  This could prove to be a very rowdy meeting.

825702045[/snapback]

Thats part of the Republican anti-school agenda on all levels...Vouchers, charter schools, etc...any way to tip the balance to private schools and undermine public education. The elitest attitude of seperation and segragation..not nec. racial segregation mind you.

The Old Hickory School (USJ) would certainly be behind this...furthering its original founding as an alternative to the newly desegregated schools of the late 60's early 70's.

Thats part of the Republican anti-school agenda on all levels...Vouchers, charter schools, etc...any way to tip the balance to private schools and undermine public education. The elitest attitude of seperation and segragation..not nec. racial segregation mind you.

The Old Hickory School (USJ) would certainly be behind this...furthering its original founding as an alternative to the newly desegregated schools of the late 60's early 70's.

825702049[/snapback]

You have figured it all out, it's all USJ's doing so they can compete in 2A! I suppose some of them promised extra campaign donations next time around to any commission member who shut down JMC schools atheltics? Give me a break.

The problem facing JMC schools isn't a problem of any one party, it's a problem all governments have from the local to the federal level. They spend and spend and spend (granted in some ways mandated from higher up) until it reaches critical point then they scramble to save their own rear ends because every single one of these "pubic servants" is an elected politician who cares 10 times more about being reelected than to actually do something that will help his constitutients no matter party affiliation.

A little prediction. The commission and school board will reach some type of compromise towards a 50/50 increase in funding and budget cuts to save everyone's political life. Being as that only 10% of the people that will be at that meeting tomorrow night will care about any other possibly cuts other than sports, the cuts will come from arts, bands, busing, "non-essestial" cirruculum, etc. and JCM, Liberty, North Side, and South Side will all be playing on August 27.

However, and I hope it does not happen here, eventually some poor group of high school kids somewhere, sometime are going to be group that it finally does happen to, and sports will be cut. Eventually a group of citizens will call their government's bluff and will not allow a tax increase to "save the kids" after constant fiscal mismanagement. And sadly enough, it needs to happen to make a complete mockey of the local government officials, and make that group and others more accountable and responsible in the handling of their revenues and expenses. Until then, I just hope that our "public servants" will eventually decide upon a new pawn to use to get their way other than a bunch of 14-18 year olds.

And I do wish to hear Vol General's comments on this entire situation.

Edited by Solomon

You have figured it all out, it's all USJ's doing so they can compete in 2A!  I suppose some of them promised extra campaign donations next time around to any commission member who shut down JMC schools atheltics?  Give me a break.

The problem facing JMC schools isn't a problem of any one party, it's a problem all governments have from the local to the federal level.  They spend and spend and spend (granted in some ways mandated from higher up) until it reaches critical point then they scramble to save their own rear ends because every single one of these "pubic servants" is an elected politician who cares 10 times more about being reelected than to actually do something that will help his constitutients no matter party affiliation.

A little prediction.  The commission and school board will reach some type of compromise towards a 50/50 increase in funding and budget cuts to save everyone's political life.  Being as that only 10% of the people that will be at that meeting tomorrow night will care about any other possibly cuts other than sports, the cuts will come from arts, bands, busing, "non-essestial" cirruculum, etc. and JCM, Liberty, North Side, and South Side will all be playing on August 27.

However, and I hope it does not happen here, eventually some poor group of high school kids somewhere, sometime are going to be group that it finally does happen to, and sports will be cut.  Eventually a group of citizens will call their government's bluff and will not allow a tax increase to "save the kids" after constant fiscal mismanagement.  And sadly enough, it needs to happen to make a complete mockey of the local government officials, and make that group and others more accountable and responsible in the handling of their revenues and expenses.  Until then, I just hope that our "public servants" will eventually decide upon a new pawn to use to get their way other than a bunch of 14-18 year olds.

825702101[/snapback]

I do have it all figured out. Spent many years in Jackson and seen how things operate 1st hand. UGLY is what it is.

Your right about the end result....unless the true money brokers in the County, who happen to wear private school colors through and through, have there way.

You have figured it all out, it's all USJ's doing so they can compete in 2A!  I suppose some of them promised extra campaign donations next time around to any commission member who shut down JMC schools atheltics?  Give me a break.

The problem facing JMC schools isn't a problem of any one party, it's a problem all governments have from the local to the federal level.  They spend and spend and spend (granted in some ways mandated from higher up) until it reaches critical point then they scramble to save their own rear ends because every single one of these "pubic servants" is an elected politician who cares 10 times more about being reelected than to actually do something that will help his constitutients no matter party affiliation.

A little prediction.  The commission and school board will reach some type of compromise towards a 50/50 increase in funding and budget cuts to save everyone's political life.  Being as that only 10% of the people that will be at that meeting tomorrow night will care about any other possibly cuts other than sports, the cuts will come from arts, bands, busing, "non-essestial" cirruculum, etc. and JCM, Liberty, North Side, and South Side will all be playing on August 27.

However, and I hope it does not happen here, eventually some poor group of high school kids somewhere, sometime are going to be group that it finally does happen to, and sports will be cut.  Eventually a group of citizens will call their government's bluff and will not allow a tax increase to "save the kids" after constant fiscal mismanagement.  And sadly enough, it needs to happen to make a complete mockey of the local government officials, and make that group and others more accountable and responsible in the handling of their revenues and expenses.  Until then, I just hope that our "public servants" will eventually decide upon a new pawn to use to get their way other than a bunch of 14-18 year olds.

825702101[/snapback]

Unfortunately, Solomon, it has already happened somewhere. After watching "Coach Carter" and all of the extra material on the DVD, I researched a claim that was make in a personal interview with the real Coach Carter. Richmond, CA schools, as of last year, have dropped all school sports in the name of budget cuts! Now, not saying that every school doesn't need these programs to keep young people on track and interested, but school systems in areas like Richmond, CA where the average student's family lives well below the poverty line, it is absolutely necessary to have these programs. There are too many ugly alternatives for young people in these neighborhoods.

Just a thought.

Don't forget all about the similar/same scare tactic in the Hamilton Co. Chattanooga system last year.  Like a bad case of soup bean gas it will stink for a while and blow away!!!!!! :lol:  thumb

825702125[/snapback]

I agree this has happened in many county systems,but they always seem to find the money at the last minute,this is nothing but a scare tactic.