MARYVILLE @ OAK RIDGE

I guess I don't see it that way. I am dealing with the facts. So far we have been out of shape, out coached and under manned. All of these things can be fixed and are probably the result of the coaching staffs newness. I am confident that Stevens can turn this team into a force to be reconed with...but they are not that now. Many of the OR posters on here are representative of the many fans from other teams that I have heard leaving Blankenship Field and Neyland Stadium over the years, "wait til next year we will get them then." We don't need to be content with the "wait til next game, or next year mentality." I did find your last post funny though. If we just change how they keep the doggone score in football games we actually won the skrimmage. Lets see, don't count the interception, don't count the 4 touchdowns for Maryville, take away the fumble, make Maryville only play their 3rd string,let #20 return the fumble. Don't be a yellow dog Wildcat fan. It's ok to question the direction and results of the team while still being a fan. Whitewashing the facts don't make them different, only covered over briefly. The results are still the results. Go cats!

Well, I guess I didn't see it that way. If you don't count the Int the score was 3-2.  I think #20 would have and should have been able to return that fumble. If Gulmire doesn't fumble than who knows? I think most of us would think being smashed would have been by 4 TD's or more.. Just my thoughts. Why are you so negative?

825711347[/snapback]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You crack me up up Ole Dad. I think you're negative too. I don't get bent out of shape over a scrimmage even if we did lose. Ask the 1979 and 1980 teams about Kingston and how they lost those pre-season games. Cats didn't say he wanted to change the score he was saying how things could have been different. I also agree with him in that we didn't get smashed. Give the boys some time. I will be negative about one thing. BLANKENSHIP FIELD looks terrible. As bad as it did at the end of the season. You would think that a school system that is building a 55 million dollar school could fill in some holes with grass seed.

I'm definitly not bent out of shape about loosing a skrimmage, I just get tired of all the different excuses that get used by us fans depending on the differet results we acheive. This should be titled the excuse board.

I do agree we need to organize and get Carringer off his behind and get the stadium up to speed now. We should all put in a call to him on Monday and tell him that it is not acceptable to allow our facilites to get in this condition. the boosters and quarterback clubs should lead the charge.

You crack me up up Ole Dad. I think you're negative too. I don't get bent out of shape over a scrimmage even if we did lose. Ask the 1979 and 1980 teams about Kingston and how they lost those pre-season games. Cats didn't say he wanted to change the score he was saying how things could have been different. I also agree with him in that we didn't get smashed. Give the boys some time. I will be negative about one thing. BLANKENSHIP FIELD looks terrible. As bad as it did at the end of the season. You would think that a school system that is building a 55 million dollar school could fill in some holes with grass seed.

825711356[/snapback]

I talked to Coach Stevens today and he told me he used the scrimmage to run various plays and formations. Coach Stevens had a 30 play script that he followed. He said if he wanted to continue to run the ball at Maryville he could've easily drove down and scored. You may had noticed that no 2 plays were the same. Scrimmages are for finding your strengths and weaknesses and that's what he used the scrimmage for. Tuesday you will see different play calling. He will use this scrimmage to mirror a game like situation.

Something I would like to know, is most people who is criticizing Coach Stevens played football before or are they being a Monday morning quarterback?

We must remember that Oak Ridge hasn't won a state championship since 91 and Coach Stevens have won a state championship within the last 5 years. How many coaches in the state have won a championship? Coach Fulmer has won only one national championship at UT and we look at him like he is the best thing since slice bread and he get's to recruit his players.

Man, some of your OR guys are being hard on yourselves!

I mean nobody wins or loses in a scrimmage. Sure one team will get accross the goal line more than the other but, It is not a game. If you fumble you lose the ball, simple. OR may be out of shape and learning Coach S's new schemes who knows. He knows how to win just ask AE! He a GQ did some talking ands the scrimmage was good for both teams. Maryville get a great deal out of a scrimmage with a program like OR's, and I am glad class was on the field working things out befor the season gets here. Don't be too hard on the kids, the'll be fine this year.

I agree with FBEmeritus. I think the scrimmage was great. It served one purpose, to see how plays are going to develop. There is no win/lose in a scrimmage although everybody keeps score. I think Maryville showed a lot of strength and talent and should make a strong run for the State. I certainly think OR is gonna come out strong and make the same type of run. The talent is certainly there for both teams, not to mention size and speed.

Go Cats Go - Good luck to Maryville! thumb

I talked to Coach Stevens today and he told me he used the scrimmage to run various plays and formations.  Coach Stevens had a 30 play script that he followed.  He said if he wanted to continue to run the ball at Maryville he could've easily drove down and scored.  You may had noticed that no 2 plays were the same.  Scrimmages are for finding your strengths and weaknesses and that's what he used the scrimmage for.  Tuesday you will see different play calling.  He will use this scrimmage to mirror a game like situation.

Something I would like to know, is most people who is criticizing Coach Stevens played football before or are they being a Monday morning quarterback?

We must remember that Oak Ridge hasn't won a state championship since 91 and Coach Stevens have won a state championship within the last 5 years.  How many coaches in the state have won a championship?  Coach Fulmer has won only one national championship at UT and we look at him like he is the best thing since slice bread and he get's to recruit his players.

825711509[/snapback]

I will agree with of that except for "He said if he wanted to continue to run the ball at Maryville he could've easily drove down and scored". After the first drive OR did nothing easily vs. Maryville in my opinion! Good luck to them catz

Oak Ridge has talent speed and size. They have a very good coach. Timing and execution was the difference aganist Maryville thats all. When it came to timing and execution Maryville did those things better than Oak Ridge.

I do not make excusses for Oak Ridge when they get beat. If scrimmages were a winning or loosing affair seems to me the scoreboard would have been on. The only way to loose a scrimmage is not to learn and work on the things you did poorly.l

Timing and execution is going to come together on its own with time. I cant imagine what is going to be said when we travel to Kingsport in week three if we happen to get beat. Personally of course I want to see the kids win that game, nothing would please me more than for them to go undefeated. ( which could easily happen) But if we do loose I will not be discourged as long as the team gets better each week. By the time we get into the meat of our REGION schedule we will be hitting on all cylinders. You can quote me on that.

The region championship first then the playoffs is the road to the championship. We will not know if we are poised for a championship run until week 7. If the cowboys, SD or the owls spank us then and only then will it be time to start worrying about the system, coach, or players. Just my humble opnion

Oak Ridge has talent speed and size. They have a very good coach. Timing and execution was the difference aganist Maryville thats all. When it came to timing and execution Maryville did those things better than Oak Ridge.

I do not make excusses for Oak Ridge when they get beat. If scrimmages were a winning or loosing affair seems to me the scoreboard would have been on. The only way to loose a scrimmage is not to learn and work on the things you did poorly.l

Timing and execution is going to come together on its own with time. I cant imagine what is going to be said when we travel to Kingsport in week three if we happen to get beat.  Personally of course I want to see the kids win that game, nothing would please me more than for them to go undefeated. ( which could easily happen) But if we do loose I will not be discourged as long as the team gets better each week. By the time we get into the meat of our REGION schedule we will be hitting on all cylinders. You can quote me on that.

The region championship first then the playoffs is the road to the championship. We will not know if we are poised for a championship run until week 7.  If the cowboys, SD or the owls spank us then and only then will it be time to start worrying about the system, coach, or players. Just my humble opnion

825711638[/snapback]

Good post and a fine opinion. I don't care who wins these practice opportuinities, the only thing I care about or am concerned with is an injury. Aside from that I think it was good for both programs! Wow 1500 people! So says the knotz county rag. That is a good showing by both program's followers!

Edited by FBEmeritus

I heard from a "very reliable source" that the hit that Talent put on one of OR's receivers in the flats early in the scrimmage changed the whole tenor of the scrimmage.

Anyone that was there, would you agree?

825711667[/snapback]

I'm not sure that is what changed the scrimmage but let's just say there was a difference after that play.

I thought Maryville's offense started relaxing and running the GQ system. The wide reveivers stated catching the ball after two drops the first series and one early in the 2nd.

Another area I thought we improved in was the O-line. The left side, I believe had Tucker and Josh Smith side by side, particularly changed the flow of the game and was taking over the LOS. The QB had good protection most of the day and the passing game/running game started clicking. All and all a better than expected offensive performance by the Rebs IMO.