MBA @ Ravenwood

MBAWR5

The scrimmage looked good at times, but both teams also looked shaky at times.

TC Jennings is by far the best player for Ravenwood, and in my opinion is going to have to carry them. Dylan Willaims runs it hard, but only gets the ball once every four plays. The Ravenwood defense wasn't impressive at all, in my opinion, and I was a little disapointed in Daniel Becker's play. He just didn't seem to do a whole lot.

MBA definately has a young team, particularly the WR's, though they did make some nice catches. MBA's usually great mid-range passing game was overshadowed by the suprising deep ball by Howe to several different recievers. Their running game though, with Snyder looked somewhat better than the passing, which is typical of preseason. MBA's defense a suprisingly weaker than I expected, with TC Jennings breaking contain from the pocket at will and completing several passes on the MBA D.

Overall, I think both teams will do well this season.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scrimmage looked good at times, but both teams also looked shaky at times. 

TC Jennings is by far the best player for Ravenwood, and in my opinion is going to have to carry them.  Dylan Willaims runs it hard, but only gets the ball once every four plays.  The Ravenwood defense wasn't impressive at all, in my opinion, and I was a little disapointed in Daniel Becker's play.  He just didn't seem to do a whole lot.

MBA definately has a young team, particularly the WR's, though they did make some nice catches.  MBA's usually great mid-range passing game was overshadowed by the suprising deep ball by Howe to several different recievers.  Their running game though, with Snyder looked somewhat better than the passing, which is typical of preseason.  MBA's defense a suprisingly weaker than I expected, with TC Jennings breaking contain from the pocket at will and completing several passes on the MBA D.

Overall, I think both teams will do well this season.

825712798[/snapback]

They both will have GREAT seasons. MBA will win DII and Ravenwood will win 10 or 11 games this season

I went to the scrimmage earlier today and it was clear that T.C Jennings was the best player to touch the field . But MBA also looked considerably more confident on offense and much more competitive on defense. Snyder had some creases to run through and the receivers looked comfortable knowing they were going to have to use their size against faster, more athletic cornerbacks.

As rollred has said, I was really surprised by Ravenwood's lack of numbers. Still, the majority of the players they had looked like football players, well coached and athletic.

MBA's going to be fine this year. Their defense is going to be as good as it was last year once Coach E, Redmon, and Hiett incorporate schemes into situations. All eleven of our defensive starters have a significant amount of game-time experience. I'll never worry about the Big Red Defense, we may be less atheltic than our opponenet but we'll still hit themin the mouth.

I am concerned, though, about a seemingly unavoidable quarterback controversy out of the MBA camp. While I understand that Howe is the returning starter, this sophomore (Zach Roydell I think his name is) looks like an Ingle Martin minus a step -- he possesses all of the physical tools to be a major time quarterback. He's 6'3 200lb+ and throws a really good southpaw ball, I was really impressed. We'll see how short of a leash Howe has this season because giving a kid like Zach only one year as a starter (Howe's a junior, Zach's a sophomore) at the helm seems unfair. In 2001 MBA cut their losses and gave the ball to a sophomore, Michael Fisher, over the more experienced senior and things turned out pretty well in the long run. It'll be interesting to watch how/if/when they split time this year.

The most important thing, though, is that we're only ten days away from Week 0. It's HS football time in TN.

IMO David Howe will be the QB at MBA for the next two seasons unless he has some type of injury. The year of experience that Howe gained last season will be a major plus and it will be hard for Cordell to get enough reps and game experience to prove himself as the better QB. I have heard that Cordell may be moved to TE which with his size would make him a big target to catch a few passes from Howe. I feel confident that MBA will try to find a way to get Cordell on the field but it will not be at QB until his senior season.

If you're saying he had to have smoked something to say Ravenwood will win 10 or 11 this games, I'd say you're wrong. The Raptors have a very good shot at doing that. They have progressed along just about as good as any new school can. They've also caught Region 6-5A in somewhat of a down year with Franklin probably being the only team to really compete for the region title with them.

Of course, you could have been saying he had to have smoked something to say that MBA will win the Super 8 title, to which I say it's MBA. Come on.