The Tennessean (High School Football Preview)

Guest catfish-hunter

Guest catfish-hunter

I thought that the Tennessean staff just took and threw together a football preview section for this year, especially in 3A. It was favored heavily for the 5A teams, outside of Hillsboro, and the privates. Some of the region predictions have me scratching my head in amazement.

What all did everyone else think of the section???

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that the Tennessean staff just took and threw together a football preview section for this year, especially in 3A.  It was favored heavily for the 5A teams, outside of Hillsboro, and the privates.  Some of the region predictions have me scratching my head in amazement. 

825716783[/snapback]

I can't argue with the amount of space and coverage they devote to high school football on Saturday mornings through the season. Do they weigh toward some of the local teams, especially the private schools? Yes. But that's expected being a Nashville-based paper.

However, their weekly previews and primers are terrible, and they waste a lot of space on nothing. Meaningless stories and they often ignore the best upcoming games.

Same thing for their preview sections. I just think they miss the boat, but I also think I know the reason why.

Most small rural schools have county papers that do an adequate job of covering high school football. Football gets more coverage than all the other sports combined. The Tennessean knows that bordering counties all have local papers, and the Gannett Inc. conglomerate owns many of them, just like the Tennessean.

So the Tennessean appeases to its most available reading audience for high school football, which is the Nashville crowd. They don't have small-town papers for the most part, everyone relies on the big dog to get their news.

So the results in the paper show that.

I thought that the Tennessean staff just took and threw together a football preview section for this year, especially in 3A.  It was favored heavily for the 5A teams, outside of Hillsboro, and the privates.  Some of the region predictions have me scratching my head in amazement. 

825716783[/snapback]

Just what all of us 6aa teams across the river were afraid of....we are considered a mid-state region but Adamsville, Camden, and Riverside are not considered mid-state teams...which essentially means no press coverage from the Tennessean or the Jackson Sun. :D How could Chip make predictions without looking at all the teams in the region??...makes no sense to me :( Doesn't he think that maybe the other teams and fans of the region would like some info on all the teams?

Edited by Lions4ever