Alcoa & Tennessee

revjj1

First of all I totally agree the menial side of High School football is huge. Kids are very influential at the ages 16-19. No question.

But for you to say “The Maryville-Alcoa game has nothing to do with talent, execution or even the players. It is all mental”. Is in itself silly and after all the years of this game the statement is even more hilarious.

That lack of talent Maryville supposedly has blew all those Alcoa “D1 Prospects” off the ball all night long. Execution by a kid who is in condition, prepared, coached and understands discipline and the concept of team is far more important than a big fast un-prepared D1 “Prospect” any day of the week. Talk is cheap and that was all Alcoa showed Friday night.

Alcoa is 2A and a small school. A fine school in many respects but you ever wonder how a kid gets to be a “prospect”? He gets press. His coach has contacts. He does well at camps and clinics. He has the size and speed and agility that might be the kind a college program can develop. If he is a top physical specimen then grades mean less. College coaches get about 3-4 visits to a player these days to stay within the NCAA rules. You think any college coach that might have been it the stands Friday night was impressed with anyone on the Alcoa side of the ball? Maybe one kid IMO. Bart Hicks played huge for Alcoa, if he had not stepped it up Alcoa would have been more than 20 points down!

It gets a little tiring hearing about how good Alcoa is and how Maryville is not as good, but Maryville seems to win the games.

How many kids from Alcoa are currently playing college football? The answer is ZERO!

Maryville currently has 13 rostered players on college teams. Saying you have “D1 Players” and watching it come to pass may be quite another issue.

Lastly S. Wilkes, at Marshal may not be that good in your mind, but he and a few others have made it as D1 players so think the way you think it is a free country. We will of course hope that BW and maybe a few others go on and do great things, but the chances are they won’t because D1 ball is way different than high school ball.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from an Alcoa grad. I would be ashamed of that performance on Friday night. All the smack talk and D1 this and D1 that. Then walking around with your heads down and hands on your hips with only six minutes off of the clock. Arguing in the huddle. Walking on and off of the field. You had no semblence of a championship team. You looked like and acted like a bunch of self-defeated, undisciplined losers. Discraceful!

Now pull yourselfs up, get a bite of humble pie, and go do the work you know how to do. Good luck the rest of the season.

What does Alcoa have in common with the Tennessee football team??  They can't beat their #1 rival.  After watching Maryville play by themselves Friday Night, one conclusion can be made.  The Maryville-Alcoa game has nothing to do with talent, execution or even the players.  It is all mental.

You could tell when Alcoa came on to the field that they were going to lose, no emotion whatsoever.  As an Alcoa alumni it frustrates me to see them play their worse game every year against Maryville

Alot of talk has happened about how "overated" Alcoa is and the talk is warranted b/c of the way Alcoa didn't show up on Friday.  But, next year we'll look at how many D-1 players Alcoa has compared to how many Maryville has.

Whether you want to admit it or not, Warren (the best player in TN) not playing definitely had an impact; not sure if Alcoa would have won but it the game would have been closer because on both sides of the ball, Maryville nor anyone else has a player that can stop Brandon Warren. 

As for 2000, Marvyille making excuses for a loss???????????????  Seems like to Maryville fans they can make excuses but when someone else does it, it becomes unacceptable.  Wilkes wasn't that good any way and Alcoa (who made mistakes in that game as well)  won that game b/c they outplayed Marvyille.

Every year Maryville jumps out on top and Alcoa decides to play mid way through the 3rd quarter. 

Stat of the game is that Lindsey only had 7 carries!!!!!!!!!!  Even so, Duck had 100+ yards and 2 td's, if he had 15-20 carries he may have had 200+ yards.

Bottom line:  Maryville won b/c mental factor and the coaching factor.  Same thing every year, not b/c of superior athletes but b/c of a mental factor.

You think GQ is a good coach???  He is, but if he coached against James Dalton and this Alcoa team it would have been the same result as when Dalton coached Alcoa teams against Maryville in the 80s and 90s:  Alcoa win

825731866[/snapback]

Just curious...which rival is it Tennessee can't beat? Alabama...Florida...Georgia...Vanderbilt...Kentucky? Didn't they beat all of them last season?

On any given Sat Tennessee can beat anyone just like on eany given Friday any High School team can beat another. Football is a fickel sport. But the team who is ready to play is the one who is ready to win. Living on past accomplishments or hype has its downside, getting beat in front of your supporters, they deserve better. If your a player you owe it to your team to be ready to play period.

They laid down and quit.  Hard for me to say but they did.  If i don't know anything about football then tell me how; don't argue without backing it up.

Like you were backing up your statements............LOL

Guarantee I know this rivialry better than you

825731931[/snapback]

I doubt it but really don't care either way. I will stick by my original response to your post. Nice whine!

While I'm sure Maryville does indeed have the mental edge over Alcoa, they looked like they had a pretty commanding physical edge as well from my vantage point. The statistical edge in the first half couldn't be all mental, could it?

The abscence of Brandon Warren has been discussed ad nauseum but I believe Maryville still would have won the game convincingly if Warren had played. Maryville is simply better than Alcoa and by quite a margin, even with Warren, imo.

Alcoa's players, coaches, and fans should swallow their collective pride and admit that they are weaker than Maryville when it comes to mental toughness, teamwork, discipline, and sportsmanship. Games cannot be won by Alcoa against Maryville on some perceived advantage on paper in athletic ability. If Alcoa would emulate Maryville in these areas, the results on the field would be much better for the Tornadoes. Until they do, as long as Coach Quarles is at Maryville, Alcoa will continue to struggle mightily against the Red Rebels, imo.

Just curious...which rival is it Tennessee can't beat?  Alabama...Florida...Georgia...Vanderbilt...Kentucky?  Didn't they beat all of them last season?

825731967[/snapback]

that was last year. You remember the struggles they had against FL and AL; its the same type deal

[/b]

I doubt it but really don't care either way. I will stick by my original response to your post. Nice whine!

825732001[/snapback]

bottom line is that you think Maryville is good and I think Alcoa is good. And I'm pointing out that 1. You didn't beat Alcoa at their best. 2. Alcoa didn't play their best game.

This game turned out exactly how I said a Maryville win would take place. It's all mental. While you guys can dominate the high school ranks, we'll take our players and influence college football (I guess you'll cheer for Dustin Lindsey when he puts on the uniform of the Vols????) and the NFL

As far as Brandon slugging a person: Big joke and all I have to say is COUNTERFEITERS (your guys should be in a federal pen)

bottom line is that you think Maryville is good and I think Alcoa is good.  And I'm pointing out that 1.  You didn't beat Alcoa at their best.  2.  Alcoa didn't play their best game.

This game turned out exactly how I said a Maryville win would take place.  It's all mental.  While you guys can dominate the high school ranks, we'll take our players and influence college football (I guess you'll cheer for Dustin Lindsey when he puts on the uniform of the Vols????) and the NFL

As far as Brandon slugging a person: Big joke and all I have to say is COUNTERFEITERS (your guys should be in a federal pen)

825732054[/snapback]

I wish your beloved Lindsey the best but I would be willing to lay cash the young man will never carry a snap for UT! Like I said at the college level, all classes Maryville presently has 13 players impacting college teams in some way, Alcoa currently has none impacting the college game unless you count the tickets they buy getting into the games.

Good luck with the defence of your 2A crown, bring it home to Blount county with class!

bottom line is that you think Maryville is good and I think Alcoa is good.  And I'm pointing out that 1.  You didn't beat Alcoa at their best.  2.  Alcoa didn't play their best game.

This game turned out exactly how I said a Maryville win would take place.  It's all mental.  While you guys can dominate the high school ranks, we'll take our players and influence college football (I guess you'll cheer for Dustin Lindsey when he puts on the uniform of the Vols????) and the NFL

825732054[/snapback]

pathetic !! were you one of the guys Reid was thinking about putting in when he started looking into the stands to put people in ?? :thumb: