CoachT Top 10 Poll

TheGreatLineJudge

Well coacht must not have liked my last post. There is no way anyone can have Farragut not in the top ten. They are 33 - 7 and have lost only to private schools. GPS and WEBB twice each. So there are 4 of there 7 losses. They have beat AC, DB, siegel in play day, and Ooltewah. They are dominating their district with a 10 - 0 record. The matches they have lost have all been close. All this after graduating 7 Seniors. This years team has only one Senior and only 2 girls with true varsity experience. Just a thought here.

When did you beat Siegel in a playday? I am pretty sure you have not played Siegel. Playday's are no indicator at all, teams are still trying to figure out who to play and trying to figure out rotations etc. If you want Farragut to be in the top 10...someone better be voting for them. I am not saying they are not a top 10 team...they may be

Who have they beat in the regular season that is on the top 10 list? In your opinion who are they better then on the top 10? I also think one reason that you may not be getting a lot of votes is because you were really good last year and didn't get out of your Sub State, now you are much younger and winning the same amount.

good luck this year...hope you make it to the state--really thought you would be there last year.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't look at what someone did in the preseason and base make that your arguement for how good they are. In the preseason, teams play everyone in different spots trying out new things and don't have the same consistency. I was at the Blackman playday and saw LaVergne split games with Farragut and Centennial. If I used your basis, they should be ranked right up there, too. Look at what teams are doing now, not a month and a half ago.

I will say this, If Anderson County can play with the same intensity that it did against Presentation Acad. at the LaVergne TOC, A-AA will go to them. That was the single best high school volleyball match that I have ever seen. I even noticed a couple of players on other court, watching the match while it was being played. There was about 150 people in the gym that gave both schools a standing ovation after the match. I know there were at least 3 video cameras going at the time of the match. I'd love to have a copy of that match.

This is meant as no disrespect to Anderson Co, but the voting on this site doesn't "seem" very objective in their case. I've seen them up close and they are a very decent team, but they are very up and down. From the looks of their record posted on coach t they have not beaten a ranked team or any team mentioned as a ranked team. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. They have lost to Farragut twice, Knoxville Cath twice, and somebody else in that tournament last weekend other than Presentation that I've never heard of. Voting for a top 10 really should be measured against who have you played and who have you beaten and not on potential. I hear they played a great match against Presentation, but they did lose that match. I'm not from TN and dont have a dog in this hunt, but as an impartial observer both Centennial and Independence have better teams. I lean towards BGA being better than Anderson also. All those teams gave Lafayette much better matches than Anderson did. I suppose you could say they may have just been off against us, but I did see them play a couple other matches and they were very up and down. It's no doubt because of youth, but that needs to be accounted for when deciding on a fair top ten.

My point was that Anderson County played a great match against Presentation and if they carry this over to the post-season, they will go far, not about the rankings. BGA is not in the same classification as Anderson Co. If they play the way they played against Pres, they will Challenge East Ridge and other for the A-AA title. Pres. is in another league from the teams in Tennessee, and I'd like to see them face off with Brentwood, GPS, and others.

My point was that Anderson County played a great match against Presentation and if they carry this over to the post-season, they will go far, not about the rankings. BGA is not in the same classification as Anderson Co. If they play the way they played against Pres, they will Challenge East Ridge and other for the A-AA title. Pres. is in another league from the teams in Tennessee, and I'd like to see them face off with Brentwood, GPS, and others.

If there is some sort of "slant" in our direction, it must be coming from somewhere else. As far as I know, Hopi and I are the only AC folks on this board. I don't vote, since I don't feel I know enough about all of the teams to make a "reasonable" determination. I don't believe you can simply look at a teams record and say "well since Team A beat Team B and Team B beat Team C, A must be better than C". That MAY be true but if I haven't seen a team play on more than one occasion, I don't want to slight anyone.

As for Hopi - I don't think he votes either.

I completely agree with bd - if we can carry that level of play into tournament time, we will be hard to handle. If not - hopefully we will hold our own. If we would have played all of our matches the way we played against Pres. - we would be MUCH higher than we are - but we didn't - guess that's why we play the games and don't rely on polls to decide who is better than who.

Edited by theghost20

I'll have to come clean on this Top Ten thing as well - I haven't voted yet. I thought I was going to, but it seems like every weekend I'm at some tournament somewhere and Sunday I crash and when I wake up, it's too late to vote. And as ghost said it's impossible to know enough info on all the teams across the state to make a reasonable guess at the top ten. I know there are teams out there that we all don't know a lot about. Heck, I don't know alot about our regional opponents much less the whole state. From Jackson TN west to Memphis, there a lot of good teams that don't have anyone posting about them here. It would take a lot of research looking up them in newspapers just to determine their records. I will attempt to vote this weekend after the Franklin Tournament and the other fine tournaments going on at Blackman, Anderson Co., and else where. As some old science fiction TV show robot or something said "I need more data"

If there is some sort of "slant" in our direction, it must be coming from somewhere else. As far as I know, Hopi and I are the only AC folks on this board. I don't vote, since I don't feel I know enough about all of the teams to make a "reasonable" determination. I don't believe you can simply look at a teams record and say "well since Team A beat Team B and Team B beat Team C, A must be better than C". That MAY be true but if I haven't seen a team play on more than one occasion, I don't want to slight anyone.

As for Hopi - I don't think he votes either.

I completely agree with bd - if we can carry that level of play into tournament time, we will be hard to handle. If not - hopefully we will hold our own. If we would have played all of our matches the way we played against Pres. - we would be MUCH higher than we are - but we didn't - guess that's why we play the games and don't rely on polls to decide who is better than who.

Hope I didn't offend. Wasn't my intent. Polls are sometimes subjective more than objective. There is no doubt Anderson Co is a good team, but I suspect they get votes based on their past success and not necesarily the team they have now. Same probably applies to Page to some degree. To have a fair poll though there needs to be some interaction among the top teams. To be a top 10 you need to have beaten somebody ranked to get there IMO. That applies to all teams listed not just AC.

On the schedule page for each team, down at the bottom, there is a link that says "Analyze this schedule" It was interesting looking at that to see how a team is doing against AAA, A-AA, Div. II, and out of state teams. Brentwood has had 22 matches against out-of-state teams. It may help people to look at this feature to get a feeling for what a team has done overall. I don't know - I still need more data.

Edited by PageMan

Here is the Chattanoogan.com's top 10 in Chattanooga.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_73182.asp

The inflated stats are also included in the article. :thumb:

On the state list- I wish the best to Harpeth, but I don't see how anyone who saw them play this wkend could put them in the top 10. With just one player out they became very avg. I hope the girl can return.

Based on what was posted in the paper, there was a team that scored 295 points in the TN Tandem and when you add up there Kills, Aces and Blocks (reported) they accounted for 285 of those points. That's pretty darn efficient!!

Whoa Nelly!!!!

My Tennessee pride is up.

I was at the Lavergne Tournament and watched the AC - Presentation match. I agree with the other posters that if AC has that effort they will be impossible to handle in their class.

Laffayette in KY does not have the ability to "play up" like that. They are a good serving team with weak setting and thus, average hitting. Ask the Presentation coaches, they would play Laffayette any day of the week over a team like Anderson County.

Here is the problem, at what point in the season should we evaluate teams? Using our three examples AC, Laffayette and Presentation you can see the true way to evaluate a team.

Presentation is a powerful team with no weaknesses and they are experienced. They are like our own Brentwood, just better. They play great every match, and will always make a strong run at tournament time. These teams don't have peaks and valleys. They will never beat themselves, to win you have to beat them.

AC is a young team with a great tradition. Their philosophy is to play alot of players early, and use the regular season as "practice" to get ready for tournament time. They lose a match here or there, and sometimes look awful doing it, but can compete against anyone come tournament time. They know how to win and have the talent to win against anybody.

Laffayette is a good team, but can't really play up. They are well coached, and don't make many errors which makes them hard to handle during the regular season. They can't really compete with the better teams when the better teams are playing well.

Polls like this are fun, but there is a reason that the same teams compete for championships each year, and that is because they no how to compete so that they peak at the right time. Momentum is everything.

I am curious as to what is meant by an inability to play up. I am also curious by the post that we are a good serving team, with weak stters. As Pageman can attest our serving during the Page/Centennial Invitational, which we won, left much to be desired. We managed to miss 8 serves in a game and won the game and match. While Presentation may actually fear the devil they know(AC because they played) over the devil they don't(Lafayette because we are a Lexington public school), they would surely have their hands full with this year's team. Unfortunately for both that will not happen.

Since my daughter and Ky's daughter are the setters on our team I was especially curious if Bratman had even seen us play. Having beaten BGA, Centennial twice, Page and Anderson Co.(actually 8-1 against TN teams) I know these two ladies are as good as any setter we've seen this year. I also know that our 3 tournament titles and 25-3 record against a very tough schedule speak for itself.

I am not trying to take anything away from AC or any other TN teams that I have seen. I am just trying to set the record straight. I can promise you that while we may not have anything for Assumption(nobody else does either) we would welcome a shot against some of the other privates from Louisville and Northern KY.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• What has this guy done to you that is so bad? I have spoken to him at one of the games this past year and he was very nice. I am not sure on his ability to coach.
    • I didn't make it up, I was told that by another coach.   I was just passing along what I was told.  Keep your shirt on there tough guy.  
    • I see them and Oakdale struggling quite a bit the next few years. I see OS to be the powerhouse of the area for awhile. It all depends on how much Coalfield can recruit. 
    • How did the scrimmage with Central go?
    • I’ve said it all year coalfield isn’t the same team as the last couple years. They have 3 really good players and another pitcher that throws low to mid 80s. Other than that, everybody else is average at best. You could make the argument that their lineup was the worst out of the 4 teams in their region tournament. Oakdale is really hot right now and playing well. Greenback was the second best team there. Wartburg was hitting it well but limped into the tournament with their center fielder being hurt and their best pitcher not being able to go on the mound for them was killer.