Which High School Band do you like and why?

rockytoptn1

I usually don't come out and speak about Ooltewah's band as I think their record speaks for itself. I really do think that their show this year is as good as any year I've seen it. The music and the theatrics are both excellent. At half time against Oak Ridge (before that miraculous comeback) it consoled us that at least we have a good band.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Pearl Cohn's band play this year, when they came and played us.. And all I can say is WOW! Our band has always been well known, and state champs and all that. Pearl Cohn made them look bad. It was an interesting experience, I'd have to say first time another team's band came into our house and put our band to shame.

Oh I miss BAND!!!! State is today and I wish I was there to see it. Forrest always has a strong band at state. The band director makes or breaks the band. If you got the guy who went to school learning Bach and music theory III then your gonna play more of a concert band on the feild. The younger the director the younger the music. i played for Fairview a FEW (lol) years ago. I like the kid of shows we played. Beatles, Swing (LOVE SWING SHOWS) 70's tv shows and a country show. I like bands that change every year. Ive only got to see a few this year and Eagleville is getting there! Fairview lost alot of members from 70 when I was there to maybe 20 now. I remember Union City at state, stupid basketball classifcation, our 50 to 70 to there 150. Always good. Columbia Central great band. For a good FOTTBALL GAME band Pearl Cohn is hard to beat. If anyone gets the results of state PLEASE post them...also when is COC? I love this thread. Dont let these stupid people stop it. The band is a HUGE part of friday nights but they live for saturdays. I'll close with my fav band quote

"There will be a football game played before and after tonights Featured Band Performance" Always loved that line.

I know all you dear DB fans will hate me for bringing this up but.. are you forgetting the competition at South Doyle High School last year? Did you forget how that was supposed to be an easy win for you all and you lost to Halls. Not to mention Halls didn't perform as well as they should have that night.

And tell me this... how did McGavock manage to win COC again this year when they didn't even make a superior rating?? No one believes you all win that contest fairly.

First of all, I agree with ambiguous rock.... If you don't like topics about the band, skedaddle! I mean, cheerleading even has its own forum. Marching band doesn't. And also band spends so much time doing football crap when they could be preparing for concert season and actually playing music that it's ridiculous to barge in here saying you don't care. At least let the band have one or two threads!

I would say that the Ooltewah band is very good this year. They have an awesome show called "Tales from the Crypt" or something similar. It was pretty cool, especially the part with the mellophones. If any Ooltewahs are reading this, well done! :lol:

Also, Dobbyns-Bennett has an excellent band. I didn't like the show this year as much as some of the other ones, but the musicality is still very good and there are some cool parts in the show.

Oh, and I'd like to disagree with some of the comments made about the Oak Ridge band. First of all, whoever said that Queen is not very well known among today's children is VERY wrong. No offense. But today's teenagers are starting to get back into old rock. I've seen Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, Beatles, etc. shirts EVERYWHERE around my high school. These bands are cool again. Thank goodness. :lol: So Queen is very well known.

Also, it's ridiculous to say that Oak Ridge has the best concert band in the state. They're good, no doubt, but simply not the best.

Also, I don't think they'll ever be that good at marching band. That's just not where their focus is, as can be seen by the fact that they almost never do those fun shows. I mean, look at the last few years: Gershwin, Holsts' 'The Planets'? haha They definitely are a concert band, through and through.

Just my take on things.

I'm partial to the Union City High School Golden Tornado Marching Band. ... I remember at the Clinic Bowl in Nashville back in 1997. Vandy stadium officials were in awe over the fact that lil ol' Union City pulled up a big 18-wheeler hauling its band equipment.

Can someone tell me the Munford website??

Finally, I noticed a disturbing trend while attending Kentucky football games this year and wanna now if its happening in Tennessee as well. Are bands more and more not performing at -- or even attending -- football games?? I know some have contests far away the following day, but I don't like that trend, if it is going on.

Yep, it happens sometimes that bands don't come, but it's pretty rare, and it's usually because of a band competition the next day. Sometimes what will happen is that bands bring a pep band, especially if they're far away from the game (for instance, I know for certain that Science Hill is just bringing a pep band to their next game). Or sometimes they'll leave after halftime if the game's not very close. Our band director lets some people go after halftime as well if they have the ACT's or the SAT's the next day.

But yeah, I agree with you that bands should come to every game. I mean, the whole reason why they do marching band and have a show for competitions is because they have to support the football team, so that should be the number one priority. I think the ACT/SAT excuse is valid though.