Which High School Band do you like and why?

rockytoptn1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played football for two years and did marching band for two.  I'm not really into the hip hop band thing.  While it is fun, the competition bands work twice as hard as the hip hop ones, simply because they're trying to perfect a show musically and visually.  You can watch a hip hop band throughout 10 weeks and it will sound about the same as it did in the first week.  With competition bands, there's a dramatic change from week 0 to week 10.

825746618[/snapback]

First of all, let's get the terminology right. It's called a show band not a hip hop band. It's obvious that you don't know much about the preparation that goes into show bands. Real show bands try to perfect their shows musically and visually as well. Show bands will change their performances several times during the course of a season. They will keep playing some songs, add some new ones, and stop playing others. All of this while coming up with formations for the new songs. Also, the preseason band camp is like no other. Most show bands, in High School and definitely College, do an extensive conditioning program in the summer. The program includes various types of calistinics and running (lots of running). This is how show bands build their stamina for the season. It's not nearly as easy as it looks. There's a lot of hard work put into it!!!

Oh yeah, the Mighty Marching Roadrunners of Austin-East Magnet High School are for real this year!!! They've got an awesome sound and the moves to match.

It's So Hard To Be A Roadrunner!!!

Visuals? They barely march!!! They stand and play. There's as much preperation for a competition band as there is for a "show band". For our camp my senior year we had 5 practices a day: one as early as 7 and one last late as 8 pm. Listen to a show band. Then listen to a really good competition band. Once again, dynamics. Balance. Not just tubas and trombones blasting. Good musicality in difficult music. Hip hop music isnt difficult to play. Just isn't, thats a fact. The music chosen by the top competiton bands...well...I'd love to see a show band play it.