oppinions on maryville losing their flag

thatguy87

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am assuming that political correctness has dictated that the Maryville REBELS no longer wave the Confederate flag? I'm merely asking. Is that what' going on?

825747812[/snapback]

Pretty close, although the school board didn't ban just the battle flag, but they banned ALL flags, as I understand it.

Is that not the case, Rebel Nation?

They have banned all flags from being flown in sheilds stadium. A complete BS reason in my opinion, citing "The safety of the fans" as the reason why, although to my knowledge and the school boards as well, there has never been a report of anyone injured by a flag or flag pole. The students have gotten creative though, wearing the flag on their clothing, which, as a friend of mr. dalton(director of schools,my neighbor), has really aggrivated him. It seems to me that this wasn't for the safety of the fans, but just another attack on school pride and history. I really think that they went about this approach incorrectly. Instead of the school board listening to what the parents and majority of students wanted, they think they know whats best, which in this case I believe they didn't. I think they should have polled the alumni, students, teachers, and city residents to find out what they wanted, which I believe would have shown a majority support for allowing the flag to remain. A few years back, the school tried to get the students to stop bringing rebel flags by instituting a "school" flag which they claimed the student body supported, but in reality the student body only supported it because they wouldn't allow the confederate flag. It failed because the students supported the heritage of the confederate flag, which has been used for a couple of decades now/

Edited by UTrugby08

They have banned all flags from being flown in sheilds stadium. A complete BS reason in my opinion, citing "The safety of the fans" as the reason why, although to my knowledge and the school boards as well, there has never been a report of anyone injured by a flag or flag pole. The students have gotten creative though, wearing the flag on their clothing, which, as a friend of mr. dalton(director of schools,my neighbor), has really aggrivated him. It seems to me that this wasn't for the safety of the fans, but just another attack on school pride and history. I really think that they went about this approach incorrectly. Instead of the school board listening to what the parents and majority of students wanted, they think they know whats best, which in this case I believe they didn't. I think they should have polled the alumni, students, teachers, and city residents to find out what they wanted, which I believe would have shown a majority support for allowing the flag to remain. A few years back, the school tried to get the students to stop bringing rebel flags by instituting a "school" flag which they claimed the student body supported, but in reality the student body only supported it because they wouldn't allow the confederate flag. It failed because the students supported the heritage of the confederate flag, which has been used for a couple of decades now/

825747860[/snapback]

Here's something I've been wanting to ask someone: Are the supporters of the ban from Blount Co.; specifically Maryville?

[quote=aliastn,Sep 12 2005 - 01:53 PM]

Here's something I've been wanting to ask someone: Are the supporters of the ban from Blount Co.; specifically Maryville?

825747926[/snapback]

Many are transpalnts, especially on the school board.

Just a note.....they also banned additional objects such as noise makers and on and on........that was a cover-up for the confederate flag issue. I have no problem with them removing the Confederate flag. It was and still is a school spirit thing but I understand how some took it as offensive symbol. The issue I have is the cowardly way the school board went about it. Even though the school board does a nice job running the system, most will lose their jobs over this issue when election time comes around. This is not a liberal county or a liberal town and removing rights under cover of a "safety issue" has many upset. There will be many canidates to chose from in the next election and I doubt any school board canidate will be unopposed in the future.

I am assuming that political correctness has dictated that the Maryville REBELS no longer wave the Confederate flag? I'm merely asking. Is that what' going on?

825747812[/snapback]

In my opinion you have hit the nail right on the head. Political Correctness and the coward ness of a school board and Director of Schools to support the majority of students, tax payers and supporters vs. minority rule. This is not the forum for this debate, but in my opinion not having flags, noise makers, banners, ect take away from the great football/sports atmosphere of the games. Too many idiots trying to cover their political agenda's by passing a rule and hiding behind something like safety.

I can tell you this issue is not over and in the very near future board members will be replaced and suits may yet be filled. Middle America can not let the ACLU and minority groups rule their communities. If put to a vote, these flags would win support by a wide margin, and that is exactly why liberals, in power won’t give free persons the right to vote.

I applaud the students, parents, supporters and taxpayers for wearing the flag as a symbol of their freedom of expression guaranteed under the constitution of the United States. Not having those flags and noise makers greatly take away from the games IMO.

In my opinion you have hit the nail right on the head.  Political Correctness and the coward ness of a school board and Director of Schools to support the majority of students, tax payers and supporters vs. minority rule.  This is not the forum for this debate, but in my opinion not having flags, noise makers, banners, ect take away from the great football/sports atmosphere of the games.  Too many idiots trying to cover their political agenda's by passing a rule and hiding behind something like safety.

I can tell you this issue is not over and in the very near future board members will be replaced and suits may yet be filled.  Middle America can not let the ACLU and minority groups rule their communities.  If put to a vote, these flags would win support by a wide margin, and that is exactly why liberals, in power won’t give free persons the right to vote.

I applaud the students, parents, supporters and taxpayers for wearing the flag as a symbol of their freedom of expression guaranteed under the constitution of the United States.  Not having those flags and noise makers greatly take away from the games IMO.

825747953[/snapback]

great post FBEmeritus , my thoughts exactly .... a poster who says he's mr. Dalton's neighbor says he's aggravated .... i sure hope the clown is . MR. Dalton is in total denial , i've seen 3 different quotes in 2 different papers now where he says there's not too many people upset about this because he hasn't gotten too many emails about this issue !!! i guess president Bush should invade Saudi Arabia , claim all their oil , lower gas prices to 30 cents a gallon .... as long as he doesn't check his email i guess it will be ok .