Powell vs. Maryville

headhunter98

Powell is still big up front offensively - 285, 310, 248, 260, and 240. 

They returned 7 starters on each side of the football.  Despite losing 2 D1-A signees, another who has successfully walked on to a D1-A program, a D2 signee, and an NAIA signee from last years senior class, I honestly believe that this is a better football team.

825751371[/snapback]

As a Maryville fan that is a scary analysis. I didn't realize last year's PHS team had so much D1 talent, but I knew they were the best team MHS saw all year until the Championship game.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penalties and turnovers....(yes, scoring too) will determine the out come of this one.

GQ & Co. will keep the penalties to a bare minimum I'm sure.

The "D" will hold (without holding!)

The "O" line will be tight.

The Running backs will guard the ball.

The Recievers will cradle the ball in.

The Red Rebels win another one by two scores.....or more

......and if Maryville misses another kick!!!.... :angry:

Reguards to the Board,

Mapp :angry:

I can't wait till tommorrow. I will be there around 4:30 to 5:00 to tailgate with rebeljohn76. His tailgate parties are legendary.

Powell will be by far the most physical team Maryville sees all year. Cody Watts and Lee Smith will give Maryville problems. Maryville needs to make sure Brandon Thrower and Jay Courtney doesn't sneak up and bite them.

I believe Maryville's defense will slow them down enough so Maryville can win. Maryville's offense needs to get better though. I believe Maryville will win 21-13.

I agree with the low score RebRon, I do think GQ grabs the field goals when he can. The "O" will have to throw the ball better to get the win and I think both Hunt and Barnett will play when the game counts. Turnovers and field position are key. I also think both teams will try to control the clock. No question this is the best team Maryville will have faced to this point.

I would just like to set somethin straight right now there are maybe one or two fans or players or whatever talkin trash from powell so dont go sayin that everyone in powell or all of the powell players talk trash. Im sick of readin that i hardly ever post i just enjoy reading comments but please stop doggin our players and just let our team play.

I believe this will be a great game this maryville team is lookin pretty good and it is gonna be a tough one we will see how it turns out tommorrow night.

No offense to Powell but D1 prospects or not in this game. You seen what happened to the D1 Prospects of Alcoa.lol But Powell Is gonna come out hard I think it comes down to the 4th Qtr with Powell Leading but Maryville regains the lead and wins by 5. But good Luck to both teams in this game and for the rest of the season and hopefully noone gets hurt so both Powell and Maryville can beat Central this year.

Edited by MeHaveRash

How does all this rain play into this game?

Does in help Powell or Marville?

-BlountCountySportsFan

825752450[/snapback]

I think that it doesnt help any body but both defences. It will make powell have to run the ball a little bit more and whatts wont get the chance to drop back and scrable every play.

But the same for powell. Maryville is relying on the runnig game to carry them and a quick pass to try to mix things up. If they can't get the pass game going in this rain powell will start to bring every one to stop the run.

Go Rebels!!! ;)

Overall, I'd say that my uninformed opinion is that the weather favors the Rebels.

From what I've heard, Powell has a stronger passing attack and wet weather typically hinders the passing game more than the running game (unless the field is soaked but the rain has stopped). Also, Maryville's running game is a power game. Watts is more of a "scat-back" than any of the Rebel runners who go North and South a lot more than they cut side to side. That again, I think, favors MHS.

One area of interest is that Hunt is a young and relatively inexperienced QB...his ball handling and lack of experience in this weather could be a major factor.

I'm just sorry to see the conditions so bad for homecoming and the related festivities.

Yea, I mentioned earlier in the thread the weather may play a role in tonight’s game. Maryville’s field is still in great shape and the forecast has the rain tapering off after 6Pm and a kick off temp or 74F. Its 10:30 and the rain is still falling.

I think the wetness will cause the teams to run more but the quick out type passing GQ has had Hunt focus on the first three weeks will not be effected by the rain as much as Powell's deep pass threat.

Watt's may move around some but Maryville historically destroys passers who move around vs. one who stay in the pocket.

I think over all the wet field gives Maryville a very slight advantage. Powell has some big hoggs up front and Maryville will have to stop the run game to win. If Powell becomes one dimensional even with the pass, Maryville wins.

Anyway I’ll see most of you at that annual sorry barbeque dinner, if you can call that buddies crap barbeque. Go Reb’s

Yea, I mentioned earlier in the thread the weather may play a role in tonight’s game.  Maryville’s field is still in great shape and the forecast has the rain tapering off after 6Pm and a kick off temp or 74F. Its 10:30 and the rain is still falling.

I think the wetness will cause the teams to run more but the quick out type passing GQ has had Hunt focus on the first three weeks will not be effected by the rain as much as Powell's deep pass threat.

Watt's may move around some but Maryville historically destroys passers who move around vs. one who stay in the pocket.

I think over all the wet field gives Maryville a very slight advantage.  Powell has some big hoggs up front and Maryville will have to stop the run game to win.  If Powell becomes one dimensional even with the pass, Maryville wins.

Anyway I’ll see most of you at that annual sorry barbeque dinner, if you can call that buddies crap barbeque.  Go Reb’s

825752609[/snapback]

I have to disagree with you on the field. half on the endzone did not have grass untill late August and down the middle the grass is very thin. After tonight it will be even worse for the remainder of the year. When they top dressed the field a few years back they did not use enough sand, thanks Jerry for saving a buck and the field gets harder and harder to grow grass to last an entire season in the middle. MC's field was done at the same time and looks great. Maryville should have spent some of that money on the field knowing how much more it gets used than MC.

Back to the game, even closer now, I got this weird 1977 feeling. However in GQ we have faith. MHS 14 Powell 10

Edited by dheat