getting coaching job

Rebel_Pride

I think playing the game has very little to do with the ability to coach the game.  I mean, coaching is not exactly rocket science.  Study the film, make your game plan, call the plays.  Lets think about the logic for a minute: does a doctor need to have some major illness to be a good doctor.  Does a lawyer need a criminal past to be good.  Does Donald Trump need to have his hair combed?  In fact, I think you may be a better coach if you have no experience.  You won't have your brain poisoned with years of inadequate coaching and faulty football philosophies.  I for one say the less experience the better!!!

825755733[/snapback]

Eddie, you sound like a band guy to me. How good of a band director could some one be if they did not know how to blow a horn.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post!!!!  You people just want to make it sound like it is more difficult than it really is!  If you think these things are that difficult than something is wrong with you.  Washing uniforms? how hard can that be.  Please don't tell me that to be succesful at anything you have to have done it.  And yes you could teach driving without ever having done it.  If you watch it enough times and gain experience at teaching it, it isn't really that hard.

825755820[/snapback]

Eddie,

Wearing a coach's uniform and hollering at kids is E-A-S-Y! But coaching well is one of the most difficult things anyone can try to do. The two are not the same. Some coaches know this and some don't. Don't kid yourself though, "calling the play and letting the kids do the work" is possibly the worst description of what a coach does that I have ever heard...most coaches work endlessly and sacrifice a lot of other things to coach. Good coaches put in 4 or 5 hours of work for every hour their players put in, great coaches work even more...and I'm not talking about facilities work here, I'm talking about coaching. Add in people who think their jobs are 'easy' and irate parents whose kids are 'the best player this school has ever had' and you have a job that few stick with for very long and even fewer are successful at.

As for 'watching it enough times', LOL! I played in High School and watched Football forever. I coached for 3 years before it dawned on me that I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Coaching is about learning from those who do it better than you...and it takes a lot of effort. But, watch away. Just let me know when you get that head coaching job so we can schedule your Varsity...for our JV.

Edited by Baldcoach

Eddie,

Wearing a coach's uniform and hollering at kids is E-A-S-Y!  But coaching well is one of the most difficult things anyone can try to do.  The two are not the same.  Some coaches know this and some don't.  Don't kid yourself though, "calling the play and letting the kids do the work" is possibly the worst description of what a coach does that I have ever heard...most coaches work endlessly and sacrifice a lot of other things to coach.  Good coaches put in 4 or 5 hours of work for every hour their players put in, great coaches work even more...and I'm not talking about facilities work here, I'm talking about coaching.  Add in people who think their jobs are 'easy' and irate parents whose kids are 'the best player this school has ever had' and you have a job that few stick with for very long and even fewer are successful at.

As for 'watching it enough times', LOL!  I played in High School and watched Football forever.  I coached for 3 years before it dawned on me that I didn't have a clue what I was doing.  Coaching is about learning from those who do it better than you...and it takes a lot of effort.  But, watch away.  Just let me know when you get that head coaching job so we can schedule your Varsity...for our JV.

825755890[/snapback]

So according to all of you, coaching football is the hardest thing on the planet. So all the people who are CEO's of companies, doctors, lawyers, sentaors, supreme court justices and mail carriers all couldn't be football coaches, because it is soooo difficult. Don't kid yourselves, it may be take a lot of time, but it doesn't take a genius to coach it.

So according to all of you, coaching football is the hardest thing on the planet.  So all the people who are CEO's of companies, doctors, lawyers, sentaors, supreme court justices and mail carriers all couldn't be football coaches, because it is soooo difficult.  Don't kid yourselves, it may be take a lot of time, but it doesn't take a genius to coach it.

825756015[/snapback]

That is exactly what they are saying. Not everyone is cut out to be a coach. And with your wisdom, it sounds that you would make a great coal bucket. A coaches job can be a very important job off of the field. If all a coach did was show up and coach then leave it would be pretty easy. Many lives are altered for the better by a coach. No, they don't perform open-heart surgery, or get a murderer convicted, but they have an important, and at times really rough job.

Eddie it sounds like that at some point your were wronged by a football coach. Were you that kid that never got to play? Were you the kid everyone laughed at because you had absolutely no athletic ability in your body? Or do you have a kid that did not get to play for one reason or another? If you think coaching is so pathetic and stupid, quit wasting your time on this board. Quit wasting your time on football at all. Coaching is difficult. No one said all of those occupations you mentioned were not difficult. Some of them are difficult. But get off your high horse and find something else to complain about. If it was so easy to coach, every team would be undefeated.

P.S. Does it take a genius to be a CEO or a senator. Most of the time those jobs require notoriaty and being in the right place at the right time.

So according to all of you, coaching football is the hardest thing on the planet.  So all the people who are CEO's of companies, doctors, lawyers, sentaors, supreme court justices and mail carriers all couldn't be football coaches, because it is soooo difficult.  Don't kid yourselves, it may be take a lot of time, but it doesn't take a genius to coach it.

825756015[/snapback]

Eddie,

I don't believe that they are saying it is the hardest job in the world. Each particular job/position has its own difficulties. Secretary/President/Hockey Coach/Subway sandwich maker ... all of them present their own challenges.

Football coaches, Head Coaches especially ... have to deal with bleacher coaching, parents, players, washing clothes, watching film for hours on end, teaching school, watching the film with the kids and teaching it to them, 2.5 hours of practice, making a game plan, cleaning the locker room, dealing with people's use of the facilities, lack of sleep, transportation, JV Games, officials, assistant coaches, Freshman games, trading film, pressure to perform, calling the get the A/C fixed in the locker room, schedules, keeping up with student grades, failed performance on thier part and players' parts and assistant coaches, teaching kids leadership, teaching kids respect, making the big calls on and off the field, cutting a player that could help the team but he got in trouble off the field, dealing with administration, pep rallies, homecoming, injuries, team meals, booster club president requests, a broken vcr, buying a new pair of shoulder pads for the player who hurt his shoulder in practice last week, cleaning the coolers and water bottles, setting up the weight program for that week, up-and-downs for the players who were late for the bus last friday, dealing with the kid who threw gatorade all over the bus last friday, call from the wife cause their child fell out of the apple tree, his sinus/allergy problem, the kid who passed out on the field this afternoon cause of asthma, insurance papers for the hospital, release forms for the hospital, calling for the resupply of gatorade, trip to wal-mart for the new vcr, trying to figure out who took $3 out of the wallet of one of the players during practice and they are about to beat up everyone in the locker room, staying after practice to plan out the next days practice, getting lessons together for the principal to see in the morning, trying to figure out why the freshman mom is upset about her son not starting on Varsity, calling the guy at the coke company about the scoreboard not working, calling the guy that the coke company told you to page and getting a wrong number, calling the coke company back for the right number, calling the right number, calling to check on your son and then telling the wife it'll be a couple of hours cause you have to mow the practice field, finishing that and weed eating, then turning on the lights on the game field to mow the game field, finishing that and weedeating, sweeping the practice field and the game field, painting the game field for the Junior High Game Tuesday night, realizing that there are wasps all over the press box, getting spray to kill them, getting stung twice, fixing a broken water pipe that you know the city won't get to until Wednesday, driving 20 minutes to Lowe's to get the pipe, then driving 20 minutes back, spending 40 minutes trying to get the old pipe off and putting the new one on, setting up the sprinkler system, leaving the facility and running past McDonald's for supper, getting home and tucking the broke leg son in bed, spending time with the wife after your shower, then falling asleep in the middle of your conversation. Apologizing in the morning to a wife who seems to understand.

That was on Monday ... can't wait to see what his day is like on Tuesday. ;)

And yeah, it's all about watching film and making a game plan ... sure is ... Not!

Edited by fieldgoal1

Eddie, what do you do for a living. I am curious because you should quit what your doing and go and get one of those million dollar jobs. It's simple isn't it?

825756015[/snapback]