Best Tradition

mcfan10

Obion County seniors walk a rope to the far end of the field and then back to the center of the field. They stop to say the Lord's prayer and then they proceed to put the rope on the poles at the end of the endzone. This takes place before pre-game warm-ups. Then, right before they run out, the whole team walks onto a brick path with names of previous players. They touch the bronzed helmet of a fallen player who died several years ago. At the conclusion of the game, the seniors walk the rope to the far endzone and say the Lord's prayer a final time. They then carry the rope back inside to the coaches office. The whole theory behind the rope is that if a teammate were dangling off a cliff could you hold the rope for him. Since seniors are the supposed leaders, they hold the rope!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blount County has 14 State Football Championships since 1969 (The Modern Era)

Maryville has 8 (the 9th was an AP Title in 1964)

Alcoa has 6

Walland has 1 (Walland was consolidated into Heritage in 1977)

Does anyone know of any county with more than 14 since 1969 (That's when the playoffs started)

in the other post i believe it was stated that Shelby County had either 19 or 22. so yes, someone has more.

Blount County has 14 State Football Championships since 1969 (The Modern Era)

Maryville has 8 (the 9th was an AP Title in 1964)

Alcoa has 6

Walland has 1 (Walland was consolidated into Heritage in 1977)

Does anyone know of any county with more than 14 since 1969 (That's when the playoffs started)

in the other post i believe it was stated that Shelby County had either 19 or 22. so yes, someone has more.

Didn't it say Davidson County had 25?

Maryville has a lot of great traditions. Listening to Greg Judkins say "Coming on the field is your 8 time defending state champs" is awesome. Seeing your friends you went to high school with. Watching the warmups and listening to the band is great.

The single most impressive pregame I ever saw was watching those Oak Ridge players walk down the steps with the railroad sign flashing,hearing the sound of a locomotive,seeing the rails on those steps light up and seeing fans slap the players as they are walking down the steps. I'm a Maryville fan and that makes the hair on the back of my neck rise. I could just imagine how much that fires up the Oak Ridge fans.

Maryville has a lot of great traditions. Listening to Greg Judkins say "Coming on the field is your 8 time defending state champs" is awesome. Seeing your friends you went to high school with. Watching the warmups and listening to the band is great.

The single most impressive pregame I ever saw was watching those Oak Ridge players walk down the steps with the railroad sign flashing,hearing the sound of a locomotive,seeing the rails on those steps light up and seeing fans slap the players as they are walking down the steps. I'm a Maryville fan and that makes the hair on the back of my neck rise. I could just imagine how much that fires up the Oak Ridge fans.

Being from Oak Ridge I know what your talking about, When I was a kid (1960 thru 1970) you would fight for position along the stairs so you could pat (or pound) the players on the shoulder pads as they went down the stairs to get to the field at the start of each game, as kid growing up you could'nt wait to grow up to play ball for OR, you would'nt think it would mean that much to the players, having kids pat on you before the game, but I'm telling you, it always got you up for the game, and the addition of the Cat Crossing, train whistle and fog, just makes it that more special, enjoyed your comments, glad to know that someone from outside OR could enjoy and appreciate this tradition.

Being from Oak Ridge I know what your talking about, When I was a kid (1960 thru 1970) you would fight for position along the stairs so you could pat (or pound) the players on the shoulder pads as they went down the stairs to get to the field at the start of each game, as kid growing up you could'nt wait to grow up to play ball for OR, you would'nt think it would mean that much to the players, having kids pat on you before the game, but I'm telling you, it always got you up for the game, and the addition of the Cat Crossing, train whistle and fog, just makes it that more special, enjoyed your comments, glad to know that someone from outside OR could enjoy and appreciate this tradition.

I watched Oak Ridge twice in 2003. Once when they played William Blount during the regular season. Maryville was off that week and my nephew used to coach at WB. The 2nd time was the semifinal game vs Riverdale. Maryville played MOWest the next day. I was blown away by that walk down the steps.

Soddy-Daisy has a tradition that not many people no about(other than former players and such)....but there is a guy who has been associated with Soddy football for about 25 years..and he has written a song that has been sung almost all of those years......once we do our warmups, we go back into the field house and say the Lord's Prayer; after that, we all hold hands and sing this SPECIAL song that gets us pumped more than anyhting else