WHAT MAKES ALCOA SO GOOD?

BUC4LIFE

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa has always had a nice pool of talent and always will and as a plus a a great football foundation that starts with the little kids. Alcoa is slowly growing in size which in the long run will benefit the program, and hopefully one day we will see Alcoa with at least 500 students. Also people like to play for winning teams and that helps bring in the county kids into Alcoa and Maryville.

Edited by UTNeLLy912

Alcoa is not a magnet school. They do accept tuition students and I believe those students currently make up about 25% of the total student body which is maxed out at about 475 students.Some families do choose Alcoa for the athletics but others choose it because of the favorable pupil to teacher ratio and "small school " atmosphere. :blink:

I don't understand the "tuition students". I thought they were a public school. The only reason I'm asking is because Alcoa seems to be at another level from the other AA teams. I thought they were a "magnet school". That is what the schools in Chattanooga call a school that allows students from all over the area to come to that school. Even though they are zoned for another school. In this area Tyner is a magnet school. It hurts some of the other schools that lose their best athletes. They go to Tyner to play football because it has a great program. So if Alcoa is not one of those schools but is a public school, what do you mean by "tuition students"? I know they have great athletes, but Howard & Brainerd have great athletes here in Chattanooga, they are not magnet schools either. And no way could they compete with Alcoa.

I don't understand the "tuition students". I thought they were a public school. The only reason I'm asking is because Alcoa seems to be at another level from the other AA teams. I thought they were a "magnet school". That is what the schools in Chattanooga call a school that allows students from all over the area to come to that school. Even though they are zoned for another school. In this area Tyner is a magnet school. It hurts some of the other schools that lose their best athletes. They go to Tyner to play football because it has a great program. So if Alcoa is not one of those schools but is a public school, what do you mean by "tuition students"? I know they have great athletes, but Howard & Brainerd have great athletes here in Chattanooga, they are not magnet schools either. And no way could they compete with Alcoa.

Tuition students are those students who live outside the city limits (and therefore don't pay city taxes) but choose to pay $400/year (quite a bargain!) for their children to attend Alcoa City Schools. In Blount Co., you have 3 school systems: Alcoa City, Maryville City, and Blount County. If you live within Alcoa City limits (and therefore pay city and county taxes), your child can go to the city school or a county school. If you live in the county (and only pay county taxes), your child can only go to a county school, but if you want your child to go to a city school, you can pay tuition. I understand that Maryville is so overcrowded that they are not taking any more tuition students and haven't for a few years. Their tuition was around $1200 from what I was told. One of the Alcoa School Board Members said that Alcoa is not maxed out and can hold up to 500 students. I don't believe Alcoa High School has hit the 400 mark yet. I think they're at around 375, but the middle school is overcrowded, so I would expect that the student enrollment will increase at the high school in a few years. Hope that answers your question. I don't know how you could have a "magnet school" when there's only 1 high school in the school system. There's also only 1 elementary and 1 middle school. The whole school system only has around 1700 students in it, give or take 50 or so.

If you look at the starters, there are only a couple of tuition students. In looking at the entire football team, a lot of the tuition students are children of alumni. Alcoa is a proud school with a truly family atmosphere because so many of the students' parents went to school together, and, with the school being so small, everybody knows everybody else. Again, I hope that answers your question.

Tuition students are those students who live outside the city limits (and therefore don't pay city taxes) but choose to pay $400/year (quite a bargain!) for their children to attend Alcoa City Schools. In Blount Co., you have 3 school systems: Alcoa City, Maryville City, and Blount County. If you live within Alcoa City limits (and therefore pay city and county taxes), your child can go to the city school or a county school. If you live in the county (and only pay county taxes), your child can only go to a county school, but if you want your child to go to a city school, you can pay tuition. I understand that Maryville is so overcrowded that they are not taking any more tuition students and haven't for a few years. Their tuition was around $1200 from what I was told. One of the Alcoa School Board Members said that Alcoa is not maxed out and can hold up to 500 students. I don't believe Alcoa High School has hit the 400 mark yet. I think they're at around 375, but the middle school is overcrowded, so I would expect that the student enrollment will increase at the high school in a few years. Hope that answers your question. I don't know how you could have a "magnet school" when there's only 1 high school in the school system. There's also only 1 elementary and 1 middle school. The whole school system only has around 1700 students in it, give or take 50 or so.

If you look at the starters, there are only a couple of tuition students. In looking at the entire football team, a lot of the tuition students are children of alumni. Alcoa is a proud school with a truly family atmosphere because so many of the students' parents went to school together, and, with the school being so small, everybody knows everybody else. Again, I hope that answers your question.

Yes, thanks for the info. I think I better understand. I wan't aware they were the only school around that area. I don't know anything about that area. Alcoa is very impressive though. Sounds like you guys have the total package. Good luck on the rest of the season.

• 1 month later...

hmm what makes alcoa good

1) defending state champs

2) got like 7 kids prolley goin big time colleges in fball

3) im sure they have great coaches

4)tradition

I know some schools from the west that have all those attributes, Alcoa also has one other reason for being as good as they are. They share this with most other football powerhouses, it's called PRIDE!! :lol:

ask around and you will find out how players live with coaches so they can play at Alcoa, you will hear about little league scouts going to surroundings programs and start early recruiting. you will become aware of Sweetwater natives being moved to Alcoa to help build an empire. you will hear of players from north east Tennessee who led there region in rushing being lured to Alcoa. and why would they do that without some type of promise for making this move. this is how they do it. you all can not possibly think Alcoa is blessed with all this tallent because of the water or avaerage facilities...like I said before...something smells fishy and its not fish.

Here's a nice article from the Sentinel you may want to look at; apparently you didn't see it: http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/prep_football/...4229504,00.html

As far as players moving to Alcoa, don't assume; you know what happens when you do. Some players moved to Alcoa because their parents were alumni, others moved for other reasons, but I haven't heard anybody say they moved just to play football. Be careful about what you're accusing. Fishy? NAH, Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Edited by aliastn

ask around and you will find out how players live with coaches so they can play at Alcoa, you will hear about little league scouts going to surroundings programs and start early recruiting. you will become aware of Sweetwater natives being moved to Alcoa to help build an empire. you will hear of players from north east Tennessee who led there region in rushing being lured to Alcoa. and why would they do that without some type of promise for making this move. this is how they do it. you all can not possibly think Alcoa is blessed with all this tallent because of the water or avaerage facilities...like I said before...something smells fishy and its not fish.

The most idiotic statement of the year. Obviously someone who knows nothing about Alcoa other than what his imagination can drum up.

What you smell is not fish and it is coming from your own post. What a load of crap!! :D