High School Rules

Red81KPsmash

A couple of rules on the high school level that I would like to see changed are the cut block and the ability to come out of the endzone. I think cut blocking should be allowed all over the field like the college rule. Not from behind, but face to face. I believe this would open the game up some. I know the arguement that it will increase injuries, but I disagree.

Secondly, with the number of kickers who can kick the ball into the endzone on the rise, I think the kids should be allowed to return the ball. Same on an interception.

What do you think?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of rules on the high school level that I would like to see changed are the cut block and the ability to come out of the endzone. I think cut blocking should be allowed all over the field like the college rule. Not from behind, but face to face. I believe this would open the game up some. I know the arguement that it will increase injuries, but I disagree.

Secondly, with the number of kickers who can kick the ball into the endzone on the rise, I think the kids should be allowed to return the ball. Same on an interception.

What do you think?

No

I agree on the comming out of the end zone rule. I still think most of the better kickers could kick it out of the end zone anyway.

I do not agree on the cut block rule. This type of block, excuted by a young man on another young man could cripple, for life, many kids who are not in top physical condition. The college game saw the light and anything implemented to protect the kids I am in favor of.

What do you think?

I definitely agree with you on being able to bring the ball out. If they're not gonna let them bring it out. Then just put the ball on the 20 and quit wasting time. These kids are supposedly trying to learn how to compete at the next level- they're not learning a thing by not having a kick return.

I have always hated the double standard on the face mask rule. When is pushing or touching and grabbing the facemask legal, when it's being done by the ball carrier and called a stiff arm. This is wrong. I understand that there is not as great a chance for injury but it obstructs the view of the tackler and has resulted in injury.

Make it fair.

By allowing the cut block all over the field, you would see a large increase in the number of ankle and knee injuries. Check out all of the ankle and knee injuries in the college game. Kids, at the high shcool level, for the most part are not big, strong or quick enough to avoid this. As to running it out of the end zone, nothing wrong with changing that, except you would see a lot of teams starting well inside their own 20 yard line. I don't think most coaches would be for that change. Could be wrong, though. Just one person's opinion. Most rule changes occurr at the request of coaches and usually involve something that is perceived as being unfair or could result in more injuries.

What do you think?

From my understanding cut blocking is not allowed all over the field in college neither. Cut blocking is a sure way to get people hurt, in fact I'm against it even on the line. My son plays def. tackle and usually by the time the second half comes along most teams start cut blocking him because they have a hard time handling him straight up. I have seen to many ankles and knees ruin because of this technique. I remember back in Nebraska's hay day how everybody complained about their lineman cut blocking to make holes for their option offense. To me it is like clipping it is not a good technique, I do realize it is a technique a lot of smaller lineman use. My son is 5'10" 210lbs and also plays center, he very seldom uses a cut block other than to pick up a blitzing linebacker. I encourage you to use the stay low, punch, and drive technique of blocking.

Edited by goforthegoal

What do you think?

I'v often wondered why the endzone rule was in effect in High School. It seems to me that players can be trained to down the ball if they do not elect to return it and that would allow returns by those teams that choose to take the risk/opportunity. This rule takes one of the most exciting plays out of the equation.

As far as the cut block, I truly hope it is never reinstated. I would go so far as to see it outlawed even in the line box. These are 15 to 18 year olds and are playing a game designed to be fun and shouldn't have to defend themselves from a lifelong injury when some of them arent even able to shave yet.

Nuff said.

From my understanding cut blocking is not allowed all over the field in college neither. Cut blocking is a sure way to get people hurt, in fact I'm against it even on the line. My son plays def. tackle and usually by the time the second half comes along most teams start cut blocking him because they have a hard time handling him straight up. I have seen to many ankles and knees ruin because of this technique. I remember back in Nebraska's hay day how everybody complained about their lineman cut blocking to make holes for their option offense. To me it is like clipping it is not a good technique, I do realize it is a technique a lot of smaller lineman use. My son is 5'10" 210lbs and also plays center, he very seldom uses a cut block other than to pick up a blitzing linebacker. I encourage you to use the stay low, punch, and drive technique of blocking.

In High School - cut blocking is legal in the tackle box on the line of scrimmage.

In College - cut blocking is legal all over the field as long as you are in front of your opponent.

I agree with the posters about the endzone rule and the cut block rule. Although it is nice to not have to worry about kick off returns if the kicker can get it into the zone :thumb: .

Another rule I think could change is calling the play dead when the defense jumps into the neutral zone. Give the offense a free play. If the guy makes contact, blow it dead. If the defender gets back on sides, no foul. Seems fair to me.