High School Rules

Red81KPsmash

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree on the kickoff rule, but the cut block no. The referee's are not the same standard across the board that the college refs are. The game gets much more out of hand sometimes in High School. I could see many more kids cheap shotting a kid and tearing a knee up on purpose away from the ball. Not that all referee's are bad, but you have a number of ref's in the league now that are still not able to keep games under control. Can you immagine going to a game out of town, using thier refs and several cheap shots are overlooked. That is my only problem with it. I was allowed to cut block in college an it made my job so much easier, but that level is much more under control.

The rule change that totally changed the game, in my opinion, was when the holding rule was changed to allow holding as long as the hands are kept inside. I hate it. The things I used to look for at the snap, such as where an offensive lineman puts his head on the defensive man and whether the linemen come off the ball at the snap or sets up, no longer pertain. The skill level of offensive linemen is much less than before. Bigger, stronger hands, yes. But the other skills have suffered. I enjoy watching the game a lot less now than before that rule change. So, I am leery of rule changes.

Cleveland[/url]' post='825771772' date='Oct 3 2005 - 08:32 AM']

I definitely agree with you on being able to bring the ball out. If they're not gonna let them bring it out. Then just put the ball on the 20 and quit wasting time. These kids are supposedly trying to learn how to compete at the next level- they're not learning a thing by not having a kick return.

I agree with your point about bringing the ball out of the end zone, it should be legal. But the purpose of high school football is not teaching kids how to compete at the next level. Very few high school players ever get a chance to compete at the next level. High school football is beneficial for many, many reasons, but training to compete at the next level should not be one of them, IMHO.

The rule change that totally changed the game, in my opinion, was when the holding rule was changed to allow holding as long as the hands are kept inside. I hate it. The things I used to look for at the snap, such as where an offensive lineman puts his head on the defensive man and whether the linemen come off the ball at the snap or sets up, no longer pertain. The skill level of offensive linemen is much less than before. Bigger, stronger hands, yes. But the other skills have suffered. I enjoy watching the game a lot less now than before that rule change. So, I am leery of rule changes.

CoachT, with all due respect, I think you might need to re-read your rules. There is no such rule that says that holding is allowed as long as the hands are kept inside. Holding is never "allowed." There are often times when officials will let it go because it does not affect the play, but it is still not legal.

I suppose you are referring to the rule change that allows open-hand blocking. That still does not allow a lineman to grasp the defender. It does happen in the interior line, but if a defender is actively trying to get away from the blocker and the hold is obvious, it will be called. There are ways to use open-hand blocking without holding.

CoachT, with all due respect, I think you might need to re-read your rules. There is no such rule that says that holding is allowed as long as the hands are kept inside. Holding is never "allowed." There are often times when officials will let it go because it does not affect the play, but it is still not legal.

I suppose you are referring to the rule change that allows open-hand blocking. That still does not allow a lineman to grasp the defender. It does happen in the interior line, but if a defender is actively trying to get away from the blocker and the hold is obvious, it will be called. There are ways to use open-hand blocking without holding.

I'm sure you are right about the way the rule is written but when you watch a game and, play after play, a defensive player has outside leverage on the blocker yet can't separate from the blocker then you know the rule is not being enforced.

Cut blocking by highschool interior lineman is a must because it is an equalizer. So often you have 275lb going up against 175lb. Are you suppose to teach the 175 lber to get low and hand block ..... physics and mechanics only go so far.

To me, there is more danger of injury of the smaller kid getting injured by "digging in his cleats" and fighting the 100 lb difference than there is risk to the 275 lber from a cut block.

More kids should use a Crab Block than a Cut Block. A Crab Block is where you stay on all fours and put your hip into his hip and keep moving in order to wall him off from the play. It takes coordination and alot of upper body strength and is a very effective block.

Cut blocking by highschool interior lineman is a must because it is an equalizer. So often you have 275lb going up against 175lb. Are you suppose to teach the 175 lber to get low and hand block ..... physics and mechanics only go so far.

To me, there is more danger of injury of the smaller kid getting injured by "digging in his cleats" and fighting the 100 lb difference than there is risk to the 275 lber from a cut block.

More kids should use a Crab Block than a Cut Block. A Crab Block is where you stay on all fours and put your hip into his hip and keep moving in order to wall him off from the play. It takes coordination and alot of upper body strength and is a very effective block.

That is a bunch of bull, my son is 5'10' 210 if that much and nevers uses the cut block. He would rather go up against a big d-lineman other than a small strong quick lineman anyday. The crab block is only effective against below average d-lineman. The crab is very effective is on def. filling up the hole. The crab is good about getting your hands all banged up.Riverdale every year has a couple o-lineman who weigh around 200 and they very seldom use the cut block. Learn to stay low, fire off, punch and drive. Also get in the weight room.