Coaching Horror Stories

Thesportsreporters

As a player or parent or spectator, what are some things that you can't believe a coach has done (good or bad)?

Like when I played, we were more than halfway through practice and it was just not going good, so he made us start all over!!

Please leave coaches names out of it

Please leave school names out of it

Please leave Proper nouns out of it period or this topic might get closed!

So what are some of the worst things that has happened to you in high school football??

Edited by Thesportsreporters

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good:

My junior year the coach was in retirement mode, which was just as well, since he wasn't all that good...we had some talent but especially had some good senior leadership - the quarterback pretty much ran things. We went 4-6 that year, but we all enjoyed playing football with each other. High point of the season for me - my jersey made a touchdown. Another kid was wearing it at the time.

Bad:

Senior year we got a new coach...he made changes (including my number...grrrr) and said that things were going to be different...they were...we went 0-10. He had no clue as to how to utilize talent (no sour grapes here - I wasn't all that talented) or motivate players. Things pretty much stayed that way over the next few years until he moved into the principal's job. :thumb:

when I played basketball, I smoked cigarettes (theatre, what can I tell you we were drama queens), and the coach made me run until I puked every single day because she saw me smoking a cigarette one day.

Then one day I had to go into the teachers lounge to see my English teacher and there sat my basketball coach PUFFING HER BRAINS OUT.

I told her fairly quickly what I thought about that, and at practice I challenged her to run with me (we would run around the court, up the stairs to the 2nd level, around that 2nd level, down the stairs, across the court, up the other side, around the 2nd level) down and up the team had to make 20 laps, and I usually made 35 laps before hurling.

HA. I did not throw up alone that day. And she threw up about 15 laps before I did.

Then my mother asked how I lost 25 pounds in the first two weeks of practice and I told her what was going on.

I thought she was going to smack that woman into the middle of next week.

And I finally quit smoking so I could gain some weight back before dying.

I can still take a charge like nobody's business.

Good:

My junior year the coach was in retirement mode, which was just as well, since he wasn't all that good...we had some talent but especially had some good senior leadership - the quarterback pretty much ran things. We went 4-6 that year, but we all enjoyed playing football with each other. High point of the season for me - my jersey made a touchdown. Another kid was wearing it at the time.

Bad:

Senior year we got a new coach...he made changes (including my number...grrrr) and said that things were going to be different...they were...we went 0-10. He had no clue as to how to utilize talent (no sour grapes here - I wasn't all that talented) or motivate players. Things pretty much stayed that way over the next few years until he moved into the principal's job. :P

LOL!!!

Bad Coaching Examples (Which I Personally Witnessed):

Example 1:

A certain freshman football coach wanted his players lined up on the sidelines according to their numbers. Not by position or group, but by numbers. And not to move during the game. He thought it would look good. At one point he tried to put a DE (#10) into the game as QB. When he screamed at the player as to why he was wearing a QB number, the kid replied "You gave it to me."

Same coach (who is no longer coaching) told his team in the pre-game pep talk: "You guys stink and the only reason I'm here is for the supplement."

The team lost 33-7.

Final game of the season coach says in the pre-game talk: "you stink."

Team blows out the opponent by 30. Post game huddle, team captain tells the coach to stay out of the huddle and stay away from the team. Team huddles up and chants "We don't stink! We don't stink!."

Example 2:

During a game, this Varsity Head Coach saw repeatedly that the opposing team had no one who could kick the ball. After four straight on side kicks and the opposition going for two after every score, he finally made an adjustment; he told his return men to move up five yards!

The same coach ( stated, after watching his defense get gouged repeatedly up the middle during the ball game and not attempting one pass) as to "why he didn't adjust?" His legendary reply was "If I adjust then they'll just adjust and we're back to where we started."

He was fired at the end of the season.

This is not a coaching horror story, but a horror story that happened to a coach that presently coaches one of the most successful highschool teams in WTenn.

This all happened in the same day:

1) Fired from an assistants job at a DivIAA university

2) wrecked his car

3) wife left him

this also happened to him on his birthday :rolleyes:

This is not a coaching horror story, but a horror story that happened to a coach that presently coaches one of the most successful highschool teams in WTenn.

This all happened in the same day:

1) Fired from an assistants job at a DivIAA university

2) wrecked his car

3) wife left him

this also happened to him on his birthday :lol:

Pretty sure I know him.

This might be the greatest thread in the history of CoachT. I've already laughed until I've almost puked and I haven't even made it ONE lap yet.

I stink...I need to go now and make sure I'm in the right place in line :lol:

Worst outcome to a coaching career.

A certain head coach comes in and has to replace a legend. Not easy at all. He had a very old school, in your face, grab you by the facemask kind of mentality. I never had a problem with that. I don't think MOST football fans would, if it's in the right context.

Well, he found out from the M.O.M's (that's an abreviation for a parental unit and a schools first intital) that his behavior wouldn't be tolerated. He was fired after one pretty good 7-3 season.

Here's the fun part (believe me it was no fun as a junior and Senior). We went 5-5 the next two seasons under the new "coach". Maybe next time the M.O.M's should be fired.

My 4 years in high school we had 4 different head coaches in 4 years. My junior year we got a highly successful coach. I had started at TE as a soph an d was set to start at TE again as a Junior! 1st day of practice coach called me into his offense. he told me that he needed someone to mke an example of all year long because he knew he couldn't be hard on some of the kids because they would quit. He knew my family and said that he knew I was a good kid and could take it so he made me his example for the rest of the year.

2nd day of practice - He called me into his office and said that they had a problem. They needed guards that could run 5.0 40s to pull every play so they moved me to guard. I was ok with it even though I had been a TE or Qb before that!

last regular season game - We are playing the #1 ranked team in our district, we had no chance of making playoffs. We are up 9 -8 with 5 min. left in the game. We are on the opponents 20 going in to the end zone. Our Qb throws an interception in the endzone to one of the fastest guys in our district. The center, fullback, QB, and Wr missed the tackle. I catch him diving at him on the opposite 20 just trying the slow him down so someone else coud possible catch him. he stiff armed me off ans scored! We lost the game. I was one of the last one's into the lockerroom. The Coach was waiting as I came in. It was the last game of the season so all of the parents were in the lockerroom. he stopped me put his arm arond me, called everyone's attention and said "everyone listen up, I would like to introduce to you the - gutless wonder - the guy who lost the game for us! I never played football again! I regret not playing again and I guess that is why I follow it so closely now!

This is Baseball story.

I was a Soph starting at third base. We had a Senior on the team who had been there since his Soph year and never started a game, not very good and not very pleasent to be around. We got to halfway point of year and he had played maybe 2 innings. He was becoming vocal with coach and running younger players down if they made an error or were KO'd. We had a couple of days off and had BP and pitching was a little thin so Coach (short stint in Majors as outfielder) was going to pitch. SR came up and I was on deck warming up. Tension between Coach and Sr had already reached a boiling point. SR never was able to touch a curve ball. Coach had been throwing mostly heat just so we stroke the ball. Sr saw about 8 wicked curve balls. SR never got close to hitting the ball. After 9th pitch he told coach. "Coach, you are a Chickens---t to not throw me a fastball." Coach stepped forward and said "Boy what did you say to me?" SR, "You heard me you S.-.B." That had everybody attention. I noticed Coach did not walk back to mound, just smiled. He was now prepared to pitch about 10-15 feet closer in. I was close enough to say quickly to our SR catcher and team captain, "Name, Do you see what I see?" Shutup, I have to concentrate on this one without looking at me"

I thought he was just going to throw a fastball that now would be like 100-105 MPH or faster by the SR and the SR never paid any attention where Coach was standing. But, no, pitch went straight at SR and hit him in the side, never even had a chance to move. Boy grabbed his side starting cussing coach, team and school. He ran off field, never stepped foot on baseball field again. Coach let him walk away without doing or saying a thing. None of us but the Captain ever had the balls to ask Coach if that was intended or one that got away, I think we knew answer, without having to ask him.

After it happened, I walked toward box, he pointed to me and said "Name, your up." Coach was a little excited and had not moved back to the mound. I said "Coach all the same to you but I plan to stay out of the box until you get a foot on that rubber." THe Catcher and infield who had all been silent, busted out laughing. After they finished laughing Coach chuckled, walked back to mound, and hollered out to Def "OK Boys we got us hitter". Threw the first pitch right down the middle about belt high and I drilled it over the left fielders head. All was forgotten and it was baseball again. District and Region champs that year one game from State Finals. I don't know if Coach was right or not to hit him but Coach was old school and all of us developed an old school mentality before that season was over. We played tough, took up for each other on and off field and didn't take crap off nobody. Good bunch of guys. Most are professional now, 1 accountant, 1 doctor, 2 lawyers, 1 Coach, 1 Principal a couple of business owners, etc.